“Very cheap and right in the middle of Manchester.”
Review of Weston Hall

Weston Hall
Ranked #89 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I went for some peace and quiet away from home to write my dissertation - and wanted to be in the middle of Manny to see my daughter. Great location and having been a student myself I was prepared for the size of the room - it had everything I needed and it was clean. Problem the first night was noise outside - all night and non stop - but next morning they found me a quiet room on the top floor facing the uni so no complaints after that. Bar was nice to have on site and it did food too. Staff were lovely. I'd go again no problem if I wanted a cheapo night or two in Manny. Only annoying thing is how early housekeeping come to do the rooms - 8am is a tad too early isn't it?

Room Tip: Mine was 527 - and was quiet during the nightime (although there were irritating skateboarders durin...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Finoula

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Stayed here for just one night, was ok, the room was clean and the bed nice! You can get lost inside the residence because is connected to a hotel (where you check in).
When i made my reservation they told me my breakfast was included, but it was not. Decent wifi on the bedroom.
Not very friendly staff... You can't really complaint, it was very cheap!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Macarena G
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Ignore the negative reviews below, people want everything for nothing it seems which is unfortunate. As long as your expectations are proportionate to the price you pay you will be very, very pleased.

Stayed for two weeks with a short weekend trip back home so I experienced two of the rooms. Both were exactly as I expected: single bed, basic, quite small and clean. The beds are very comfortable as the linen is surprisingly soft and the towels are fine and changed daily. The showers are a bit small but hot and fully functional. There is a kettle with tea/coffee and biscuits. However, no hairdryer is providing which would be annoying if I didn't pack my own just in case it was needed. The corridor leading to my rooms I stayed in did smell a little but the rooms themselves were fresh smelling. As for the loud door banging mentioned by some people below, I did not experience this nor was I woken by any noises from outside.

In terms of breakfast, this was included in my £36 per night stay and exceeded my expectations. There is a large selection of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, sandwich meat/fish, pastries, selection of bread, full English breakfast and sometimes porridge. Just about every Twinnings tea bag that exists is neatly lined up, there are machines for coffee/cap/expresso etc and some fruit juice also. Great breakfast complemented by efficient staff and the day's newspapers awaiting you by the entrance.

As for evening meals, you can visit the restaurant for just £8.50 for a two course dinner (fabulous value for the food you receive) or eat in the bar which offers burgers/fish and chips/baguettes etc. All food is discounted by 10% if you are a guest at Weston Hall so remember to show your room key when you pay.

The free internet in the hotel lobby is much appreciated and of good quality.

The location is excellent. Only 10 mins to Manchester Pic train station and 15-20 mins into town (at a reasonable walking pace).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank RowlBear
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I was looking for a room for one night in the Centre of Manchester as I was attending a reunion. I only needed the room to sleep as I would be out for most of my stay, but being of a certain age needed a bit of comfort. After researching tripadvisor I decided on this hotel due to it's location. I was aware from previous reviews that the adjacent building Weston Hall was or had been student accommodation so I booked Day's Hotel via Travel Republic for one room, one night B&B cost £32 I requested a quiet room for a mature business traveler. The trouble started on check-in. The guy was having problems booking a group of Chinese people in and without looking up from his computer informed me he may be some time. Luckily a very nice young lady came to my assistance and booked me and gave me a fob and key for room B516, she gave me directions to the lift and off I went. I eventually arrived at room 516 to find that the room was accessed by a card and not a key. I started to go back to reception but came across a member of staff who informed me " No mate you want the Blue Hub" and gave me directions. After several twists and turns I eventually found my room ( exit signs and direction were non existent ) on entering the room it was immediately apparent that this was indeed or used to be student accommodation. There was a single mattress on a metal bed, No TV, No Phone, No hairdryer etc etc there was a kettle with tea and coffee and a PAPER cup. The bedding was spotless but the whole room needed refurbishment. The ensuite had a small wash basin, a shower and a toilet that flushed when it felt like it. The tiles around the sink had not been grouted or finished off and the room had a smell of damp. Once again the towels where spotless. OK for £32 in the centre of Manchester what did I expect?, no worries off I went to the reunion. I arrived back just after midnight found my room prepared for bed dropped into a deep sleep. Around 04.30am I was awoken by a loud argument in the street outside even though the window was closed and I was five floors up. I dropped off only to be woken by a neighbour who arrived back at 0530 slammed the door and used the toilet ( yes I could hear what they were doing ). Dropped off again only to be woken at 0645 by someone slamming there door. Time to get up. I showered dressed and decided that I would try breakfast but if it was as bad as everything else I would go elsewhere. Breakfast made my stay. The staff where superb the food excellent I couldn't have asked for better. Would I stay here again No! No! No! but I may call in to use the restaurant.

Room Tip: Insist on a room in the Day's Hotel side not the Blue or Green Hubs,unless you are younger than...
Reviewed July 17, 2012

As always, I didn't expect it to be a great place akin to a hotel. Weston was a decently clean enough student accomodation, pretty small, offers clean towels and linen with coffee making facilities. Walk in shower. The rooms smelled clean but the corridors smelled of sweaty carpets...! For the price paid, at £29 a night it was not bad to be honest. It was a convenient 10-15 min walk to the Manchester Business School with straight forward directions. loads of shops on Oxford road for eating etc. Will consider in the future too.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

This student housing facility, managed as a hotel/pension in summer, meets the basic needs: it is clean, there is a kettle with tea replaced daily, cleaning staff services the rooms each day... However the furniture and trimmings is very worn and shabby. Also, I second the opinion that banging doors are noisy.
There is WiFi in the lobby, but it also reached my room, which was a bonus. I was only one floor above the lobby.
I did not get breakfast (they charge 10 quid a day) but other guests there said it was really good.
The location is excellent, very close to Picadilly and the center of Manchester.
I would stay here again as long as I remain on a student's budget.

Room Tip: In my room, on 3rd floor (1 floor above lobby), I could pick up the WiFi signal normally available o...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
SCHWENNING
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Minutes' walk from Picadilly Station. Tiny dormitory room, but very sufficient, and great price. One complaint: noisy slamming doors in hallways kept waking me up. It would've been worse if more rooms had been occupied.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com