“Back to my Student Days”
Review of Weston Hall

Weston Hall
Ranked #85 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Back to my Student Days”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I was looking for a room for one night in the Centre of Manchester as I was attending a reunion. I only needed the room to sleep as I would be out for most of my stay, but being of a certain age needed a bit of comfort. After researching tripadvisor I decided on this hotel due to it's location. I was aware from previous reviews that the adjacent building Weston Hall was or had been student accommodation so I booked Day's Hotel via Travel Republic for one room, one night B&B cost £32 I requested a quiet room for a mature business traveler. The trouble started on check-in. The guy was having problems booking a group of Chinese people in and without looking up from his computer informed me he may be some time. Luckily a very nice young lady came to my assistance and booked me and gave me a fob and key for room B516, she gave me directions to the lift and off I went. I eventually arrived at room 516 to find that the room was accessed by a card and not a key. I started to go back to reception but came across a member of staff who informed me " No mate you want the Blue Hub" and gave me directions. After several twists and turns I eventually found my room ( exit signs and direction were non existent ) on entering the room it was immediately apparent that this was indeed or used to be student accommodation. There was a single mattress on a metal bed, No TV, No Phone, No hairdryer etc etc there was a kettle with tea and coffee and a PAPER cup. The bedding was spotless but the whole room needed refurbishment. The ensuite had a small wash basin, a shower and a toilet that flushed when it felt like it. The tiles around the sink had not been grouted or finished off and the room had a smell of damp. Once again the towels where spotless. OK for £32 in the centre of Manchester what did I expect?, no worries off I went to the reunion. I arrived back just after midnight found my room prepared for bed dropped into a deep sleep. Around 04.30am I was awoken by a loud argument in the street outside even though the window was closed and I was five floors up. I dropped off only to be woken by a neighbour who arrived back at 0530 slammed the door and used the toilet ( yes I could hear what they were doing ). Dropped off again only to be woken at 0645 by someone slamming there door. Time to get up. I showered dressed and decided that I would try breakfast but if it was as bad as everything else I would go elsewhere. Breakfast made my stay. The staff where superb the food excellent I couldn't have asked for better. Would I stay here again No! No! No! but I may call in to use the restaurant.

Room Tip: Insist on a room in the Day's Hotel side not the Blue or Green Hubs,unless you are younger than...

Families
Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2012

As always, I didn't expect it to be a great place akin to a hotel. Weston was a decently clean enough student accomodation, pretty small, offers clean towels and linen with coffee making facilities. Walk in shower. The rooms smelled clean but the corridors smelled of sweaty carpets...! For the price paid, at £29 a night it was not bad to be honest. It was a convenient 10-15 min walk to the Manchester Business School with straight forward directions. loads of shops on Oxford road for eating etc. Will consider in the future too.

Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This student housing facility, managed as a hotel/pension in summer, meets the basic needs: it is clean, there is a kettle with tea replaced daily, cleaning staff services the rooms each day... However the furniture and trimmings is very worn and shabby. Also, I second the opinion that banging doors are noisy.
There is WiFi in the lobby, but it also reached my room, which was a bonus. I was only one floor above the lobby.
I did not get breakfast (they charge 10 quid a day) but other guests there said it was really good.
The location is excellent, very close to Picadilly and the center of Manchester.
I would stay here again as long as I remain on a student's budget.

Room Tip: In my room, on 3rd floor (1 floor above lobby), I could pick up the WiFi signal normally available o...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Minutes' walk from Picadilly Station. Tiny dormitory room, but very sufficient, and great price. One complaint: noisy slamming doors in hallways kept waking me up. It would've been worse if more rooms had been occupied.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Aberdeen
Reviewed July 3, 2012

These are student halls of residence and as you would expect from the room charges the rooms are very basic; standard single bed but comfortable enough, basic bath room (shower only). Also is a desk/office chair and wardrobe. Room was clean enough but showing good few signs of wear.

But for the cost the location is great, only a 5 minute walk from Piccadilly train station and 5-10 mins from main shops/bars areas. When we were there (weekend) it was very quiet on a night, i.e. no disturbances from either internal or external party people.

Staff in the halls were helpful as were the staff in the adjoining Manchester Conference Centre and associated hotel. Free wifi in the hotel lounge area as welll.

Breakfast was included in my £30 per night deal and was decent enough. Being a self service of hot "full English" ware and also croissants, etc and tea/coffee machines for numerous refills..
I would recommend this for short stay if you are on a budget and do not expect the rooms to be luxurious!

Room Tip: Think all rooms would be quiet.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

My friend & I stayed at Weston Hall on a really busy weekend. We were extremely happy with the location, facilities and excellent price. Highly recommended accommodation!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank SianM75
New Brunswick, NJ
Reviewed May 16, 2012

If you don't expect much, you won't be disappointed - decent for the price. My room actually had decent wifi even though they say there is no wifi there. There is also ethernet connection in the room through the uni, which seemed to work. Otherwise, free wifi in the Days' hotel lobby.

It was quite noisy: hallway doors slamming, water running, people chatting outside - bring earplugs.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business