“Modern hotel, shame about breakfast”

Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre
Ranked #16 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Bristol
“Modern hotel, shame about breakfast”
Reviewed June 13, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel on several occasions – it is conveniently located with shops, restaurants, Shudehill tram stop giving easy acces to the railway stations and much of the rest of Manchester all within a 5-10 minute walk. Modern rooms with very comfortable beds, contemporary bathroom with an excellent shower and generally a pleasant stay. Try to stay on a higher floor to avoid the traffic noise that isn’t too intrusive but may disturb a light sleeper.. There are a few grumbles, although so far, not major to make me want to stay elsewhere. There is no car parking available at the hotel, although discounted rates are available at the NCP 100 yards down the road. Free wifi is now only available in the public areas and despite being a Platinum member I have never been able to use the club room as offered as it is always fully booked. Breakfast isn’t anything special for this standard of hotel – the usual fare, cheap orange juice, and microwaved vegetarian sausages and pleasant but slow service for the stewed tea (not even from an individual pot).

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
RobinFord70, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this review, June 15, 2010
Thank you for your recent comments on www.tripadvisor.com regarding Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, we appreciate you taking the time to make people aware of experience during your various stays.

I will discuss your comments with our Executive Chef and Restaurant & Bar Manager, we had previously encountered some problems around breakfast but this was all corrected some months ago.

I note your comments around the Vegetarian sausages, these are in fact not cooked in the microwave but I will address accordingly none the less as your perception is certainly that the quality was not acceptable.

robin.ford@cpmanchester.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Leeds
Reviewed June 8, 2010

I visited the Crowne Plaza with my partner on an overnight trip to see Jay-z. All i can say about this hotel is that it is one of the best hotels in the UK!
When we arrived, check in was speedy and we were in our room immediately. As you walk in (we had a standard double room), it is amazing. The room is well decorated, very spacious, the bed was very very comfy and the bathroom was impeccable. The was also a safe, ironing board and a mini bar in the room. The air con worked fine, we had floor to ceiling windows and although we were on the room facing the main road, you couldnt hear the traffic.
In the morning, we had breakfast as it was included in the price of the room and the food was lovely. A choice of a hot full english, cereal, fruit, personal orders (which cost more) and lots of different types of drinks.
If you are looking for a hotel for an event at the MEN arena, i would highly recommend it as it is a 5 min walk away and practically next to the arndale centre.
Overall, the best stay i have experieced in the UK and i will definitely be returning to many crowne plaza's !!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review on www.tripadvisor.com with regards your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre.

We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgment of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts and takes the time to say thank you. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make the Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre a leader in excellence.

We have also just received an Insider Select Award from Expedia rating our hotel in the top 10 hotels within the UK; we were also the only hotel in Manchester City Centre to be awarded.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future, if you would like to discuss your comments or experience further I welcome the opportunity on my contact details below.

Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed June 8, 2010

We stayed here for one night and we were lucky to be upgraded to an executive room. The rooms are big with excellent amenities, the bathroom was amazing with an excellent shower.

The beds are huge and really comfortable. The hotel is handy for all parts of Manchester and close to the Northern Quarter for an excellent night out.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

It’s great to receive such comments and I will ensure they are shared with all departments throughout the hotel. Only a few weeks back we received an Insider Select Award from Expedia rating our hotel in the top 10 hotels within the UK; we were also the only hotel in Manchester City Centre to be awarded, this really backs up comments like you so I am very happy to receive such praise.

I thank you for your thoughtful comments and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future, if you would like to discuss your comments or experience further I welcome the opportunity on my contact details below.

Leeds
Reviewed June 7, 2010

Booked one night here to stay after meal out with husband for wedding anniversary.
Room nice enough. Clean. A/C OK.
Booked club room with access to exec lounge - drinks OK - manager helpful - view from hotel rubbish and canapes awful
Breakfast good
staff helpful
gym ok but very small
ncp car park just over road - ask hotel and you get discount

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review on www.tripadvisor.com, we greatly appreciate you taking the time to alert others of your experience although on this occasion it seems we did not fully satisfy you based on reading your comments.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodation and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future, I will ensure your comments are circulated within our management team.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. If you would like to discuss any part of your experience further I welcome the opportunity to discuss with you personally, please do not hesitate to contact me on my details below.

Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed June 2, 2010

I spent quite a bit of time researching where to stay in Manchester for a gig at the MEN. Location won out in the end so we plumped for the Crowne Plaza.

Like a few others who have already reviewed, we plumped for the Club room, which got us a king size bed and access to the Club Lounge on the 8th floor. We spent a very enjoyable few hours in there on the saturday evening with drinks and nibbles before heading to the gig.

I must say I was thrilled with the level of service from the hotel. Having requested a quiet room at the time of booking online, I found that we had been given a room on the 4th floor which is the "quiet zone" - and then our room was a the furthest possible location from the lifts - and even then, the door to our room was behind an additional door on the corridor, so the level of internal hotel noise was zero. This was slightly offset by the noise from the street outside (sirens etc) but this is not the fault of the hotel.

The decor in the room was really nice, black, white and red colour scheme, great bathroom and separate shower.

My only criticism really is the time breakfast was served in the club lounge, between 6.30 - 9.30am. Even though we are qute early risers, we felt this was too early for a Sunday morning, when most people probably want a lie-in after a saturday night out. Even say 7-10 or 10.30 would be better I think.

I would definitely stay here again - the location was also really good for shops etc and parking was easy at the Printworks car park across the road - get the hotel to stamp your ticket on checking out and the parking is only £10.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ronaldobiscottini
Thank you for your review on www.tripadvisor.com, its great to read such positive feedback based on your recent stay.

I will ensure the feedback is circulated accordingly and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2010

I stayed here for one night whilst up for a series of meetings in Manchester.

This hotel was perfectly located with super views over the city and within 10 minutes maximum walk of the main shopping area.
It is also convenient for the Shudehill tram stop and the bus interchange - also Victoria station.

Reception staff were efficient & friendly and the lifts were prompt and spacious.
My room was on the 2nd floor and I simply cannot fault it.

The bed was large (quite high) and extremely comfortable and the fitments were high quality without being overwhelming.
I'm not too keen on floor to ceiling windows and they don't open but the air conditioning is unobtrusive and efficient.

The bathroom was a delight: bathrobe, plenty of big fluffy white towels, a corner separate shower as well as a bath. The bowl was one of these trendy ones on a slab and if anything it was rather shallow but not a problem.

There was a large TV and also a hairdryer, iron & board. There was a nice kettle with facilities for tea & coffee making.
A shame there was no free wi-fi in the room. There was wi-fi in public areas but I could not get my netbook connected at all :-(

I ate in the hotel at night and the meal was excellent: rib-eye steak, pepper sauce, mushrooms & fries. Lovely! I had creme brulee for dessert which was also lovely. A good portion for hotel food and a lovely large glass of Zinfandel rose.

Breakfast was excellent too - plenty to choose from with full English (eggs any which way, sausages, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, hash browns etc) plus full cold selection including smoked salmon and mortadella, plenty of croissants, pastries, cereals, juices, yoghourts etc. Toast making facilities etc - I really couldn't fault it.

I will definitely stay here when I need to stay over in Manchester again - if I am able! I am told it is regularly fully booked!

All in all a superb experience!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank EPD
Thank you for your recent comments regards your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, It’s great to receive such wonderful comments.

I will certainly ensure they are shared with all departments throughout the hotel and i know all our management team will be delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay.

Its great to recieved such praise and only a few weeks back we received an Insider Select Award from Expedia rating our hotel in the top 10 hotels within the UK; we were also the only hotel in Manchester City Centre to be awarded so this really backs up comments like yours!

If you would like to discuss your comments or experience further I welcome the opportunity on my contact details below.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2010

Stayed here for 1 night at end of May. We booked a standard room and was good value for money.

The location was perfect. We took the train to Manchester Victoria and took about 5 mins walk to get there. It was also perfect location for the MEN Arena, we walked there also and took about 10 mins.

The room was well equipped for a basic room. Nicely decorated and very clean.

We never ate any meals in the hotel and just had one drink. Place looked nice enough though.

Not sure if the hotel has any spa or fitness equipment as it was just a flying visit so we didnt really have time to have a look around.

Cant comment whether they have a car park or not.

The hotel is near to the shops and local supermarkets.

I would stay here again if I visited Manchester.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review, i will ensure your comments are circulated accordingly to all of our team here at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre.