“Don't bother with a Club room”

Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre
Ranked #16 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times and given it favourable reviews before. But it seems to have gone well off the boil.

Now, the guy who checked me in has checked in thousands of people and I recognised him. But even Platinum Status in Priority Club didn't elixcit a "welcome back".

Next he said "we've upgraded you to a Club Room". Now normally that would be great news. But guess what, Priority Club has trained me that upgrades rarely happen (even as a Platinum Member - so forget their loyalty program it doesn't make any difference the vast majority of the time) so.....I had booked a Club Room.

Whoppee. Upgraded to what I had booked.

Now, stick with me. It can go down hill.

So....I get to my room and there is a distinct hum. It isn't the a/c as it isn't on. I turn the TV off. Still an annoying noise. So I call down.

No "I'm really sorry" or anything like that. Just I'll send up someone with a key for another room. Then when he arrives, I get the third degree. Not, I really apologise, appreciate your business, sorry or anything like that. Just "must be the a/c on the roof". So, avoid room 823.

Here I am in an "upgraded" room, a returning guest, a Platinum Member of the recognition program and that is how I am treated. Go figure.

The room is perfectly ago and as I have mentioned previously a comfortable bed. But, don't bother with a Club Room or trying to being an elite member of the Priority Club Program. It doesn't give you any benefits. Better check out Trivago.co.uk and see what the best deal is (it is unlikely to be on the Crowne Plaza website, despite their "best rate guarantee" - see for yourself!!) and then book that.

As a returning guest, a Platinum Member of Priority Club, with a booked Club Room and this is the service I get what will others get?

Room Tip: Avoid 823 ....unless you like humming
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Thank Frequent Traveller from Scotland
CrownePlazaManCity, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete your comments on www.tripadvisor.com; it really helps us to maintain our standards and focus on areas that we need to improve.

We receive a lot of complimentary comments regarding our recognition of Priority Club members thus I am shocked to learn that you were not made to feel welcome as the valued Platinum Priority Club member that you are. I can assure you that you have not experienced our ordinarily high standards of service and I sincerely apologise for this.

If you would like to discuss your feedback in further detail, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly at guest.relations@cpmanchester.com. I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Kind Regards,

General Manager – Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre

Write a ReviewReviews (2,589)

Reviewed August 15, 2012

My husband and I have just stayed at the Crowne Plaza with friends for my birthday weekend. Our room was extremely comfortable and stylish, the price we paid was very reasonable and I was very pleased to find a hotel room with a separate bath and shower which seems to be quite hard to come by these days! If cleanliness, style and comfort are what you are looking for then I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EvieB82
CrownePlazaManCity, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments onto the tripadvisor website following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Manchester. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed here for a night last weekend and enjoyed every minute of it. Had a room with two double beds and this still managed to feel airy and spacious. Decor was beautiful, beds were some of the comfiest I've ever stayed in, and the bathroom was to die for with both a bath and a shower. Location was perfect too, so close to the Arndale and Printworks. Definitely worth the extra compared to budget hotels!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
CrownePlazaManCity, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay. I was delighted to read that you had a 'Fabulous stay'. We do get alot of good feedback regarding the beds and I was happy to hear that you liked them too. I will certainly pass on your comments to the hotel team.

Hope we can welcome you back here again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed August 11, 2012

I have reluctantly marked this hotel overall average due to the 'standard' corporate offering here, and the fact that our room was so nice due to us paying extra for a superior (which I have to say was excellant all round). We didn't eat here but used the bar which was a little soulless and pricey. The location is really handy too near the Arndale, Printworks, MEN, as we normally stay the other end of town but will consider staying here again due to the location and room. Be aware that the standard room prices can be at the lower end of the scale so we noted the abundance of single sex parties which can have its downside.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
CrownePlazaManCity, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2012

We very much appreciate you taking the time to complete your comments on www.tripadvisor.com, It helps us enormously to maintain our standards. Thank you for your comments and constructive feedback.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future to give us the opportunity to impress you on all accounts.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I'll start with the good - great bathroom, decent size rooms for a European hotel, modern, relatively cool bar, club level was great, excellent bargain!
Now for the underwhelming part - food, staff personality, very few TV channels (no cable). I like certain conveniences when I travel on business. I like to work from my bed. Meaning I like hotels that provide wireless in the rooms as well. I really dislike being confined to a desk in my hotel room. There was only one (1) 110v plug in the room and none in the lounge or club level. Staff did not have any converters either. Staff lacked ability to tell me about certain places of interest and or restaurants. The area surrounding the hotel was also a bit unimpressive.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete your comments on www.tripadvisor.com; We very much appreciate your constructive feedback as it really helps us to maintain our standards and focus on areas that we need to improve.

I am very sorry to read that you felt underwhelmed by certain aspects of your experience here, however I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit the city.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

We got a good deal on a two night stay here and we were very impressed. The hotel is very modern and lovely. The rooms look great and were very comfortable. The bathroom was also nice and spacious. Location is good, close to shops and pubs. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

We very much appreciate you taking the time to complete your comments on www.tripadvisor.com, It helps us enormously to maintain our standards. Thank you for your kind comments, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

The rooms were fab, very clean (I couldnt pick fault and usually I can) lovely clean and very comfy bed, carpets felt very soft and new, Bathroom had a bath as well as a seperate shower which is idea. There is bath robes to use and complimentary slippers and the usuall shampoo, soap etc. Staff on reception were very nice & helpfully. Carpark just accross the road £10 for 24hrs.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ema-J99

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments onto the tripadvisor website following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Manchester. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon.