“I wouldn't bother... The staff don't”

Simple Bar & Kitchen
Ranked #455 of 2,245 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Bar, British
Good for: Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Simple Bar & Kitchen; serving up the perfect mix of delicious cocktails and fantastic food in a relaxed atmosphere since 2001.
“I wouldn't bother... The staff don't”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

I 1st went to simple just after the toilet camera scandal, as my friend still really wanted to go. When we arrive it was relitively busy. All the tables apart from from the area they had roped off were taken (the area being 1/3 of the venue). After a long discussion between themselves they decided they would allow us to still in roped off area, it was not roped off for a booking, it was roped off because they didn't want to have to clean it! After that the night was good the food arrived within a reasonable time and all 3 of us enjoyed our meals and the bill with drinks was as you would expect for manchester. The 2nd, time I took my parents who were visiting me. When we arrived, to an empty restaurant (bar 1 table) we were told "if we were eating we had to sit in the dinning area", fine. In the dinning area the manager had used the 2 largest tables as his office and spread his files and laptop across them. 4 of the other tables were very small even for 2 people that they were laid out for, which left 2 tables for 4 back-to-back, 1 of which was the only other occupied table in there with 4 large gentlemen sat around it leaving very little room on the remaining table. I asked the manager if it was ok for us to sit in the booth on the other side of the venue due to the lack of space, he was fine about and agreed. Within seconds of us moving an angry French waitress came storming over demanding to know if we were just drinking or eating. When we told her we were eating she told us that if we wanted to eat we had to go back to the dinning area. I informed her the manager had okayed us to sit where we where, she then stormed over to the manager and ripped him to shreads, stormed back to us and demanded we moved back. I informed her we will not be squeezing ourselves onto that table and we'll eat else where, to which she replied fine. We left and had a lovely meal at the English Lounge 3 mins walk away. I don't understand why, in an empty restaurant you would try and make the only 2 tables sit back to back in a space too small to accommodate them all on a quiet Monday night at 18:00? The over all product they offer is pretty good, the food is good, the decor is nice and it's reasonably price, it's just the staff and attitude. On the upside my farther and I have never been close, but after been messed around, I've never seen him happier with me then when I told them we were leaving.

Visited April 2013
Bradlie H, Manager at Simple Bar & Kitchen, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Hi Ben. Thank you for letting us know about this situation. I'm sorry you felt like you had to leave because of this miscommunication between myself and the waitress in question. I hope you manage to get back to Simple soon and I promise you will be able to sit where ever you like! Thanks again. Bradlie

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Food ok, service good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Visited early on Friday evening - busy so glad we had booked a table. I had 2 of the small plates instead of a main, and was disappointed by the sliders - very dry and uninspiring. 1/4 rack of ribs were nice. Rest of my party really enjoyed theirs so maybe I just chose wrong. Service was good and great happy hour prices for drinks.

• Visited April 2013
Thank you for the review. We have very recently changed the sliders - be sure to pop back and try again! Glad you enjoyed the ribs too. See you soon.
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
“Great food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Lived in Manchester for 2 years and whether on a night out or meeting clients, Simple bar was my meeting point of choice. Great food, Drinks and atmosphere.

• Visited November 2012
Bradlie H, Manager at Simple Bar & Kitchen, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you very much for your review! We are glad we've been able to provide you with something you've enjoyed for the past few years. We hope too see you again soon!
Manchester, United Kingdom
“What a great night...!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

I have been to Simple a few times before but hadn't been in a while. Some friends of mine were over from London and I decided to take them there for a dinner and cocktails. We were greeted at the door by the general manager who showed us to the table and talked us through the specials. The food was fantastic and the cocktails were to die for. We all had a lovely time in the warm atmosphere and my friends said that it was nice to be somewhere that felt a bit like being in your living room.... A must see in Manchester !

• Visited March 2013
Bradlie H, Manager at Simple Bar & Kitchen, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Cheers for the review Scott! Glad you and your friends had a great night & enjoyed our warm vibes. Be sure to pop back again soon!
“Fave by far”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Went for Sunday lunch and loved it! Especially the extra Yorkshire pudding :-)
Everyone is so friendly and the crowd is really cool as well. Can't wait to go again!
P.S: make sure you try the cheesecake!!!!

We love our Sunday lunch too, ha! and our cheesecake! Thank you for the review, hope to see you back soon for some more yorkshire's...