“The Best Cheap Place i have ever stayed!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Luther King House
Ranked #2 of 27 Manchester B&B and Inns
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
“The Best Cheap Place i have ever stayed!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2011

I read previous reviews before i went and was expecting something very basic and not soo nice but it was cheap! When i arrived with my friends though, we found the place to be great.........great rooms, very clean and tidy, very friendly and helpful staff, great location, very quiet until about 9am and breakfast was really fresh and lovely! I would really recommend this place for weekend or one night stay, you get alot for your money and its well worth it!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank luvfranxx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Polish first
Bromsgrove
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2011

I appreciate all of the negative reviews as the hotel is very basic and is difficult to find as signage is not great. This said, it is my second visit to the Hotel. To be fair for me it was ideal as it was a short walk to the workplace, free wifi and it's located at the start of the curry mile (which is handy as the food at the hotel is not great). The staff were helpful and the room was clean- for the price I paid I was happy and will return

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

I stayed here last Friday, it was a last minute booking and the location was important for work nearby.

I have to say I am surprised at some of the reviews. My room (a premier double) was clean tidy and of reasonable size. I had a good nights sleep (until 7.30 am!) and a lovely leisurely breakfast (eggs, toast, fruit....).

The only problem was the wake up call from the water pipes!!!!!

I think the room I was in had all the pies running through it! And the vibration was incredibly noisy in the morning and would certainly have been a problem had I needed to sleep in later!

Overall ok and for a cheap B & B it was fine.

It is a theological college and that somehow gives it a very peaceful ambience in a rather less salubrious area of Manchester.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2011

Cheap as chips, but its not a hotel,,it's some kind of religious retreat...if you're expecting a hotel, go somewhere else.
Room was tiny, filthy, carpet was wet, the room stunk of cigarettes despite no smoking notices everywhere, dirty sink, paper thin walls, and poor, dribbly shower. More like a school dormitory. Good quiet location, bags of free parking, and cheap. Nothing more.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

Luther King House was not easy to find. Even with my satnav I went past it twice. There is a blue sign indicating its presence which was difficult to read from my car in the dark. Upon arrival I was greeted cordially by reception staff. There was no offer of assistance with my three bags which I dragged up three flights. Upon entering the room appeared basic but sufficient, which is what I was expecting. However, the bathroom smelled very damp, the grout in the shower was covered in black mould and when I flushed the toilet the whole cistern shook and was not fully fixed to the wall. The cistern then took about 10 minutes to refill, causing a very annoying trickling/ dripping noise while it did so. On the following day I noticed quite a thick layer of dust on the windowsill when I opened the curtains, as well as condensation, mould and rust on the windows themselves. I also noticed a number of dark spatters on the walls, which I will hopefully assume to be tea. The shower was highly temperamental and I had two very hot showers as the cold water was provided by a very noisy pump under the sink, which was located in the bedroom. The shower's hot and cold was back to front and once it was turned past a certain point the water cut out altogether. However, apart from the room needing a good wipe down with a damp cloth and the shower needing a good going over with a toothbrush and bleach, the bed was comfy, the bedding was clean, the TV had a good quality picture with freeview and the room was warm, despite single glazing. Breakfast was adequate, although I avoided the congealed porridge and stuck with the cold croissants, but I very much enjoyed the hamburger I ate on the second night- but be warned the food is not cheap! In summary, very basic, quite grubby but sufficient with friendly enough staff and nice food in the evenings. I would not recommend it to a friend as I don't think any of them would have been able to cope with the mouldy shower and unpleasant brown spatters on the wall. Had my room been cleaner I would probably recommend it to others. I might stay there again though, as it is difficult to find somewhere so reasonably priced.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2010

As mentioned in the reviews, this isn't really an hotel, it's more of a hostel. The place is absolutely fine for a short stay, and it definitely has its perks (the food was better than expected, although if you have time it's worth a trip to Curry Mile instead!) but overall it's just the right side of acceptable given its price tag. Don't expect an hotel and you'll be happy enough.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2010

I booked a room for myself for one night so I could attend a gig in Manchester.
When I arrived, I was stunned to find that it was a centre for theological studies. It's a religious college campus of sorts, and my room was that of a dorm room. I felt a little cheated to be honest.
The "hotel" served it's purpose though. It was very very basic, but clean and comfortable enough as all I really needed was somewhere to put my head down, but unless you are on an really low budget, I'd say find somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank WayneDonaldson

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels