“Perfect base.”

Ranked #22 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Redditch, United Kingdom
“Perfect base.”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in August and are looking forward to trying others in the group.
The room was large and the bed very comfortable.
Staff were cheerful throughout. The safe was not working when we arrived but fixed quickly.
Breakfast was excellent. As we usually leave for work at 0530 a lazy breakfast with the papers is a total treat.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

It is not often you find a hotel that even through you stay regularly you are made to feel so welcome and a business trip becomes more like a holiday. This as l have said before is all down to the staff so thank you to in no
particular order to Natalie Heather James Matt and Les for making our stay so pleasant look forward to seeing you again in march.

• Stayed September 2013
Sean M, General Manager at ABode Manchester, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for reviewing the ABode. I am delighted the team ensured your recent visit was of the highest order and we look forward to your return visit next year.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have stayed at the Abode several times this year and have always been thoroughly impressed with the quality and service. The hotel is less than 5 minutes walk from Piccadilly station and within 10-15mins of the town centre. I have been upgraded to Desirable rooms and suites a couple of times which are amazing but the Comfortable rooms are also great, all rooms have enormous beds and well appointed bathrooms. Everything is clean and comfortable, the breakfast is cooked to order and is always fresh and delicious, I haven't eaten in the restaurant but the room service has always been great. I always look forward to my stays at the Abode and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Sean M, General Manager at ABode Manchester, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for reviewing the ABode Manchester. I am thrilled your recent experience mirrors your previous visits and I do hope to welcome you back once again in the very near future.
Trenton, New Jersey
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed overnight several times during a recent visit to England and were impressed by this very nice hotel. It gets points for being a retrofit of a great old building that didn't destroy the building. It gets points for Heather, at the front desk, who seems to work nonstop, is cheery and puts things right. And it certainly gets points for good food and a good bar, as well as a great location, by the train station. We were there while the Ashes was at Old Trafford and watched the cricket fans arriving as we breakfasted one day. The rooms are pleasantly non-institutional, with inventive lighting that doesn't detract and the old bones of the building on display. Good job!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
I am deighted you enjoyed your time with us here at the ABode Manchester. Thank you for your review.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed in the Abode for two nights on 23rd / 24th August.

Initially all seemed well, arrived late in the evening and the reception team seemed helpful enough. I headed up to the room after checking in and the key did not work. My partner went down to reception to have the key recut. Having worked in hotels, I *think* I have a pretty good grasp on using the key cards and it definitely did not work first time. Bit of an annoyance when you have to head back down so late in the evening after travelling.

There was a plug socket next to the bed that didn't look too safe when plugging in or out electronics and when the curtains were closed completely, a bright yellow stain appeared on the curtains! Delightful.

I can't really fault my first night other than the shaky first impressions but then it unfortunately, went downhill. I ordered room service starter and a side of fries on my second night and I deemed it to be poor quality.

A friend of mine who was visiting had decided to get ready in my room before heading out that evening as we had spent the day together and it was better for him to get changed at my hotel rather than heading home. When we came back to the hotel in the early hours, we were refused entry on the ground that there were 3 of us and the room occupancy was 2. I understand (and tried to explain that I understand) that hotels needs to monitor the guests in/out of the hotel within the early hours, however, they did not care that my friend was simply collecting his belongings from my room.

No offer to be escorted to the room, no offer to wait in the lobby, I was made to wait outside of the hotel for 20 minutes in the cold on the street whilst my friend headed up to the room alone to collect his belongings. Having lived in Manchester for five years, I know how dangerous and unsafe the city centre can be at that time in the morning and to be locked out of the hotel I am paying for is simply disgusting customer service. Anything could of happened at that time in the morning.

When showing my frustration to the night manager, he acted as if I should certainly know what the policy is as I had previously worked in a hotel. With all due respect to him, I would certainly not lock a guest of mine outside in the cold at 4.30am all because his friend was collecting his belongings from the room. There are numerous options of better dealing with the situation. I clearly did not believe he understood why I was so upset.

The next day I arranged and paid for a late checking until 3pm but housekeeping woke up me at 1pm asking when I would be vacating the room. Now awake, I then decided to order room service which again, was just incredibly disappointing and definitely not up to the standard of coming from a Michael Caine restaurant. I could of cooked a better fish myself and I'm no chef. The accompanying Coke was flat and warm as if it had been sitting waiting for the food for a while.

When sharing my thoughts with the manager, no polite invitation back or no refund of the fee for the disturbed late checkout, simply a thanks for the feedback!

The hotel itself is beautifully decorated, I can't comment on the restaurant as I didn't dine but the room service was substandard and not up to my expectations. I would potentially recommend if someone needs to put their head down for a night - but I guess you would receive better service in a Premier Inn or Travellodge.

Overall, not the worth the money. Service initially good but them turned shambolic, room service terrible and the lack of communication between departments was non existent.

I may of received an apology and a comment to say thanks for the feedback, but that doesn't fix the experience I received and left me with a sour taste of Abode.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank leonburton
Dear guest,
Thank you for reviewing the ABode. My apologies with regard to the shortfalls for which you write. Whilst I am aware that you have since been in contact with the Operations manager to discuss your experience, I am however avaialble via the hotel direct line should you wish.
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Upon arrival we discovered that the agent we booked the room through had filed for insolvency and had cancelled our booking. The lady on reception was extremely helpful and went out of her way to gave us an upgraded room at a reduced rate to try and make what was a horrible situation, much better. To be honest on bank holiday weekend we were grateful she gave found us a room. Throughout our stay she ensured we were having a nice weekend and that everything was ok. We found all staff very approachable and friendly and our room and communal areas were immaculately clean. When We visit Manchester we always stay in apartments but abode will always be our 1st choice for accommodation in Manchester.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,
Many thanks for reviewing the ABode. I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable experience and I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel upon your next visit to the city.
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Good welcome upon check in. Room was good although I had upgraded to Superior so not sure what the standard rooms are like? Not a great view but hey, we're in Manchester! Barman was friendly but a lack of Jaegermiester on the top shelf was a dissapointment! Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are obviously bigger but consider the difference in cost first.