“Lovely Suite!”

Ranked #26 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Berkshire
“Lovely Suite!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Stayed here with my husband as a treat and upgraded to one of the suites on the day. The room (Winston) was fantastic - everything you could want - massive bed, complimentary goodies and very quiet (was worried it would be noisy but slept really well). Great reception staff and very interesting building. Downsides are the toiletries in the bedroom - seemed very cheap - not the sort you want to sneak into your luggage (!) and I went out and bought my own shampoo and bubble bath! Also the breakfast - it may have been 10 o'clock when we went down for breakfast but it was a sad offering that awaited us. Slices of curled up cheese and ham, cheap looking cereals and orange (?) segments which if I had blind tasted them I wouldn't have known what they were!! Messy service areas and no crockery around - shame. Couldn't wait to get out of there. So on the whole do book one of the suites if you are looking for a special night away but go somewhere else for breakfast!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nic040

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Wigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed in the sister hotel in Chester which is lovely. This was different, built in an old factory so your room is built around girders and pipes. This has a nice old feel to it. The rooms are clean and pleanty of room. I found the beds comfortable and had a good nights sleep.

I will say the breakfast is steep at £11.50. When I stayed at Chester that included everything including cereal etc. If you wanted anything else except what you order I.e. I ordered a full English if I wanted anything from the continental including cereal it was an extra £5. Now the £11.50 got me tea, orange juice, some toast and a full English. The Full English was 1 sausage,1 rasher of bacon, 1 mushroom, 1 slice of black pudding, 1 tomato, beans and an egg. I could have got more then that in the pub next door for half the price.

Not as nice as the Chester hotel but I would stay again. Probably wouldn't order breakfast there again.

• Stayed July 2013
Sean M, General Manager at ABode Manchester, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for reviewing the ABode Manchester. Whilst delighted you enjoyed the hotel I am disappointed that you felt breakfast was inadequate. Pricing and offerings should be consisent across all of our properties so I will look into your comments further. Thank you.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

It was an easy walk from the train station, and close to shops and attractions. Our room was a bit small, but otherwise comfortable. Dinner at the Michael Caine restaurant in the basement was a little pretentious, but tasty. Breakfast (an additional eight pounds) was skimpy, and we had to choose between the cold table and a hot choice. We've been in many, many hotels where both would have been included in the room price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Pricey for what you get.We stayed in a desirable room, which was spacious and clean. the room however had a terrible view and was also had a very confused interior design and colour scheme. The staff at the front desk we were helpful as well. Not sure we would return

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the property. My apologies that all of your expectations were not met on this occasion. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further and I am available to do so via the hotels main telephone line.
West Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

In a great location not far from Manchester Piccadilly station, this hotel provided a welcome oasis after spending the day pounding city streets in the recent heat wave. The building has kept much of its Victorian charm (including the beautiful tiled stairways - worth not taking the lift so you can appreciate them) but my room was modern, spacious, slightly quirky, and well supplied. Best of all, it had the most efficient air conditioning I have ever come across in the UK!

The bar was pleasant and service was good. In the morning, I ordered room service breakfast. This was one of the best I have had - wonderful bacon rolls and good coffee - and it arrived exactly when ordered.

I will definitely be booking in here again on my next visit to Manchester.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,
I am delighted you enjoyed your time here with us at the ABode. I will of course pass on your comments to the team and I do hope you return in the near future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Went in the cafe bar and grill of the abode restaurant. Excellent service by the friendly staff would defo recommend. The food was first class and wil be frequentin here again in the near future. Although i didnt stay overnight in the rooms i wud consider it along with dining in the fine dine restaurant.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for reviewing the ABode. Your comments are very much appreciated and we do hope to welcome you back in the very near future.
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

We recently treated ourselves to a night at this hotel and a meal in Michael Caine's restaurant. The staff were very friendly and helpful and although the room was nice we have had better for an upgraded room (we stayed in a 'Desirable' room). The main thing that let it down was the bathroom. It was vey large for a modern day hotel but there was vey little space to put toiletries etc. and the funky towel radiator was too small for two towels. The room was advertised as having 'upgraded toiletries' but all that was provided was a bottle of shower gel and some shampoo - hardly an upgrade. One of the lampshades was broken and when I asked about it the manager told me they were having trouble sourcing replacements. In my view replace them all with something different rather than have broken items in a hotel that is classing itself as luxury! The a/c was not working either. Having said that, the bed was very comfortable and it was nice to see some of the original features of the building had been maintained such as the metal supports and the beautiful staircase. Would we go again? If we could get a deal, maybe.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple