“Nice hotel”
Review of ABode Manchester

ABode Manchester
Ranked #26 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed in the sister hotel in Chester which is lovely. This was different, built in an old factory so your room is built around girders and pipes. This has a nice old feel to it. The rooms are clean and pleanty of room. I found the beds comfortable and had a good nights sleep.

I will say the breakfast is steep at £11.50. When I stayed at Chester that included everything including cereal etc. If you wanted anything else except what you order I.e. I ordered a full English if I wanted anything from the continental including cereal it was an extra £5. Now the £11.50 got me tea, orange juice, some toast and a full English. The Full English was 1 sausage,1 rasher of bacon, 1 mushroom, 1 slice of black pudding, 1 tomato, beans and an egg. I could have got more then that in the pub next door for half the price.

Not as nice as the Chester hotel but I would stay again. Probably wouldn't order breakfast there again.

• Stayed: July 2013
Sean M, General Manager at ABode Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for reviewing the ABode Manchester. Whilst delighted you enjoyed the hotel I am disappointed that you felt breakfast was inadequate. Pricing and offerings should be consisent across all of our properties so I will look into your comments further. Thank you.
Sean

Write a ReviewReviews (1,833)

Reviewed July 27, 2013

It was an easy walk from the train station, and close to shops and attractions. Our room was a bit small, but otherwise comfortable. Dinner at the Michael Caine restaurant in the basement was a little pretentious, but tasty. Breakfast (an additional eight pounds) was skimpy, and we had to choose between the cold table and a hot choice. We've been in many, many hotels where both would have been included in the room price.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Pricey for what you get.We stayed in a desirable room, which was spacious and clean. the room however had a terrible view and was also had a very confused interior design and colour scheme. The staff at the front desk we were helpful as well. Not sure we would return

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the property. My apologies that all of your expectations were not met on this occasion. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further and I am available to do so via the hotels main telephone line.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

In a great location not far from Manchester Piccadilly station, this hotel provided a welcome oasis after spending the day pounding city streets in the recent heat wave. The building has kept much of its Victorian charm (including the beautiful tiled stairways - worth not taking the lift so you can appreciate them) but my room was modern, spacious, slightly quirky, and well supplied. Best of all, it had the most efficient air conditioning I have ever come across in the UK!

The bar was pleasant and service was good. In the morning, I ordered room service breakfast. This was one of the best I have had - wonderful bacon rolls and good coffee - and it arrived exactly when ordered.

I will definitely be booking in here again on my next visit to Manchester.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest,
I am delighted you enjoyed your time here with us at the ABode. I will of course pass on your comments to the team and I do hope you return in the near future.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Went in the cafe bar and grill of the abode restaurant. Excellent service by the friendly staff would defo recommend. The food was first class and wil be frequentin here again in the near future. Although i didnt stay overnight in the rooms i wud consider it along with dining in the fine dine restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for reviewing the ABode. Your comments are very much appreciated and we do hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We recently treated ourselves to a night at this hotel and a meal in Michael Caine's restaurant. The staff were very friendly and helpful and although the room was nice we have had better for an upgraded room (we stayed in a 'Desirable' room). The main thing that let it down was the bathroom. It was vey large for a modern day hotel but there was vey little space to put toiletries etc. and the funky towel radiator was too small for two towels. The room was advertised as having 'upgraded toiletries' but all that was provided was a bottle of shower gel and some shampoo - hardly an upgrade. One of the lampshades was broken and when I asked about it the manager told me they were having trouble sourcing replacements. In my view replace them all with something different rather than have broken items in a hotel that is classing itself as luxury! The a/c was not working either. Having said that, the bed was very comfortable and it was nice to see some of the original features of the building had been maintained such as the metal supports and the beautiful staircase. Would we go again? If we could get a deal, maybe.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is a very lovely comfortable and relaxing boutique city hotel to stay in and very close to everything you need to get to. We'd stayed there before so we knew it was good. We were there for my daughter's graduation day so wanted a special weekend. The beautiful Victorian building's been renovated sympathetically and it feels atmospheric and elegant.Love the pictures and decor. The rooms are stylish- but beware, the lighting is very harsh and unrelaxing in most of the rooms- bare bulbs with no shades on in the one I was given, and no bedside lamps - but the lovely receptionist took the trouble to find me a lovely big room with a lamp I could move to the bedside table, but apparently these are very few and far between. ) The view is nothing to write home about but I guess you are in a built-up city centre. Also, the windows don't open, so you are hermetically sealed in an air-conditioned environment. Some people might not mind this, I guess. I hate it! Well soundproofed internally which was great - No noise from adjacent rooms apart from occasional tapping heels, fantastic. But the doors slam horribly. Great bathroom. Two best things about the place- 1. the fabulously huge and comfortable beds. Aaaaah! could have stayed there all day..2. the wonderful reception staff, who did their utmost to make sure we had everything we needed and more. When my daughter was ill, and desperately needed some air that wasn't recycled air-conditioning, the member of staff on evening duty found her an upgrade room less claustrophobic, with lots of space and air and windows that opened, with no fuss and great courteousness.We had lots of info about the history of the building from Heather, one of the other receptionists, and she and her colleague on duty made us feel genuinely welcome, with smiles and warmth and thoughtful and personal touches of helpfulness . A rare treat these days, but one which makes a huge difference. Unfortunately this can't be said of the breakfast staff in the Michael Caines cafe where breakfast was served, who were surly and unsmiling, verging on rude- they were unwilling to get a couple of cups to make the table we wanted to sit at available for us and seemed to hate their jobs. . Horrible pop radio playing in the breakfast area. The breakfast itself was only just adequate- had run out of fruit salad on our first morning so just had packet cereal or commercially-made muesli and rather sad croissant - and on our last morning we were told they had run out of brown toast - (no apology, just stated rather brusquely) ...how difficult is it to get a loaf of brown bread for a not inexpensive luxury boutique hotel's breakfast, with shops on its doorstep? It's hardly off the beaten track. I nearly offered to nip into the Co-op nearby and get one for them to toast for me for my own breakfast! It couldn't have been more different from the lovely service we had from the hotel staff. Maybe the cafe area is run by a different company. Listen up, Abode! something needs to change on that front. Thank you to the wonderful reception staff, though, for making our stay in general a very good one.

Room Tip: Ask for one with more intimate bedside lighting if you want to read in bed or be relaxed, higher flo...