“Great pre Christmas meal”
Review of Market Restaurant - CLOSED

Market Restaurant
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: At The Market Restaurant we place an accent on the quality of our ingredients rather than the length of our menu. All preparation of food and cooking is done here on the premises. We avoid convenience pre frozen, pre packed and synthetic products wherever we can and use fresh wholesome foods cooking them in ways that lose as little of their nutrients and flavour as is possible. Wherever possible we source our ingredients from local producers and suppliers. Some guests get it immediately, others unfortunately don't. Our reward is in those guests who recognise the results of our efforts and return again and again.
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Went with friends for our annual splashout meal but using Taste card didn't have to splash as much cash as expected.
The meal was great, in particular the fillet steak and the atmosphere in this small room was lovely.
All in all a great experience.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Popped in on a Sunday to discover that Sunday is 'free sparkling wine day' Oh, Lovely! I had the honey roasted vegetables on puff pastry which were delicous, with a lovely soft texture. The addition of capers and sundried tomatoes really added some flavour to the dish. My companions had the roasted lamb shank which was so tender is near slipped off the bone. Very tasty food. Service was good enough but not quite as good as the food. Quite a nice atmosphere in the restauraunt, feels homely but classy at the same time. Hope to visit again in the future.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Booked for 4 people, rang early on the day of booking to ask if we could book special xmas menu . Yes that was fine and as there was only 4 we did not have to pre order food. On arriving they seemed confused re xmas menu , when suddenly a man from another table approached me and asked me to follow him - turns out he was owner . And in no uncertain terms told me we couldn't have xmas menu and I should have checked website . I confirmed his staff had agreed , so he honoured it but made it clear staff would be penalised. Not a good start to a festive night out.
We did have a lovely meal and staff were courteous and helpful, but had even to get approval of our final bill from owner who sat at a table all night ! We found this a bit intimidating. At end of evening I thanked him for lovely meal and staff were great , but it was a pity about in my opinion , of his intimidating presence - he then stood up said "get out" !! Which I duly did , thanking staff for nice evening . Will I return ??? NEVER ....

4  Thank kazstockport
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I changed a 13:00 booking to 12:00 because my client's day had changed unexpectedly. We were a table of 3 and the only diners in the restaurant on arrival and remained so throughout the meal, so a lack of atmosphere (we'd expect that at 12:00 but nothing still at 13:00). We ordered steaks medium rare, which came out medium; however, the tenderness of the meat was exceptional so the lack of care with the cooking didn't spoil the meal. Food was about 7/10 (nothing to complain about, unless I wanted to make an issue of the lack of rare (which I didn't)). Rather inconveniently, their credit card machine couldn't obtain a signal, leaving me with an option to leave my credit card details with them so that they could put the transaction through later or go off and find money, so I opted for the latter. I expect all restaurants have mediocre days and I'm assuming that this was one of theirs. Given the massive choice of restaurants in the area I'd try something different next time.

Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

With my wife we went to many "good" restaurants in London, Manchester, Newcastle, Eastbourne, Brighton,...but very honestly the Market Restaurant is one of the Best. The quality of the food and of the Chef is great. Don't drzam to go there to have a quick lunch or dinner. Quality means time, so better enjoy the time passing by and then the wine and the food. Just one word: enjoy!
Hope to see you there. Just ask if Frankie and Nathalie are there, as the Market Restaurant is the place we love to have dinner.

Thank Francois Franki... P