“Simply Outstanding”

Market Restaurant
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: At The Market Restaurant we place an accent on the quality of our ingredients rather than the length of our menu. All preparation of food and cooking is done here on the premises. We avoid convenience pre frozen, pre packed and synthetic products wherever we can and use fresh wholesome foods cooking them in ways that lose as little of their nutrients and flavour as is possible. Wherever possible we source our ingredients from local producers and suppliers. Some guests get it immediately, others unfortunately don't. Our reward is in those guests who recognise the results of our efforts and return again and again.
Manchester
“Simply Outstanding”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I have been a visitor to this restaurant since my 23rd Birthday in February, in which i was welcomed into the private dining area upstairs, and served both exceptional food and exceptional wine.

On my latest visit, i encountered the finest steak i have ever had, cooked to perfection, served by a waiter for whom nothing was too much. The wine list is to die for, and recommendations are always spot on.

As a "regular" visitor to restaurants in Manchester i would always choose this restaurant over any other in Manchester, based on service, and the knowledge of food and wine. I am yet to find another restaurant who serves such delectable food, with a wine list that intrigues and leaves you wanting to try more!

It is a true Gem!

1 Thank Lee A

“Let's keep this Restaurant a well-kept secret!”
Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

As a family, we go back to the Market Restaurant again and again. Why? Well, there's lots of choice in Manchester and we dine out often. We come back because it offers a good, imaginative menu, genuinely high quality food and a well-stocked bar enthusiastically and wisely managed. But it's more than that; it's the generous, warm, attentive service; it's the quirky but comfortable ambiance; it's the friendliness and attention to detail. And the word, "generous" keeps coming to mind. Nor are patrons forgotten between visits: there's always something (keenly priced) to seduce you back. But let's keep the Market a secret between those who know a really good thing when they experience it.

1 Thank 621147
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“Great food, exceptional service.”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We visited the Market Restaurant last Saturday, having since looked on here I am very glad we didn't read the reviews before going (possibly would have cancelled!). Either they have had a couple of bad nights or some very fussy diners recently?? Either way we had a lovely experience. Here are my observations:

Atmosphere/Venue

On arrival the restaurant was not overly busy, a few tables in, all set for Christmas dinner which was nice. Lovely and warm (hate cold restaurants), good lighting, nice music. I like the mismatched crockery and glassware its quirky, and we likened the restaurant to being on holiday! Toilets nice and clean.

Food/Drink

We had a lovely bottle of dry white wine (one up from the house white) was very nice. For starters we had the fishcake and the brie - both delicious. To follow, the beef and the baked cod. The cod in particular was really good, and portion sizes were decent. Possibly could have gone for more potatoes/veg but I do have a large appetite. The desserts we had were the lemon and ginger cheesecake and the piece de resistance - the Baileys creme brulee which was out of this world good!!!!!!! Would recommend the red dessert wine and the pear drop liquer.

The Drinks waiter Dan is a credit to this restaurant, he is knowledgable about all aspects of the drinks menu, and which beverages compliment your food. Other staff members (James, Chris) were friendly and efficient. It was a busy Saturday night but we weren't rushed, with the perfect waiting time inbetween courses. Gary the Manager introduced himself to us, and all in all i felt we had a really personal experience.

Would return and recommend, especially for a special occasion.

3 Thank 84Lola83
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Overpriced Canteen Food!”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We went to this restaurant recently and we were nothing but disappointed. The food is overpriced at £3 per Tortellini which i am perfectly willing to pay if it is cooked well and gourmet standard. It was of the standard of a school canteen. The food is a disgrace, do not go to this "restaurant" unless you want to pay over £120 for 4 people with 1 bottle of wine!

Please listen and save your money and go to one of the credible restaurants in Manchester i suggest KFC if you are looking for something with more quality in the kitchen. The meat is pre-cooked from a packet like you would get in a super market and the picture on this page isn't even from this restaurant, it is from another one in town and is on their website to but i will not mention the name as i am not here to advertise someone else i am merely a member of the public who lives in town.

I have no idea where they hire the part time staff. They are clearly paid per item they bring to the table and how many things they can remember as we were asked how many coffee's we would like 4 times by the useless waitress who works there who stares back at you for a few seconds after you answer with no neurological response whatsoever.

If i was the owner i would look on here as you restaurant is repeatedly getting terrible reviews, read them and take the feedback on board. We read them before we went and because we live very near by decided to give you the benefit of doubt and try and support a local business and ignore the chains in town but you are letting people down every night! Sack the useless staff or provide them training. Stop ripping off your customers with food out of packets and pre-cooked food re-heated. Do not go to this restaurant!

Resident of the Northern Quarter Flats.

4 Thank christian h
Gary N, Owner at Market Restaurant, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for your feedback; as you will see from my previous responses I read and respond to all feedback personally. We try very hard here to exceed our guests’ expectations. Sometimes we don’t get it quite right and on those rare occasions we endeavour to do what we can to resolve any issues that arise. This is quite difficult when guests do not give immediate feedback but choose rather to let the moment pass even when we check back as in your case.

I am sorry you were disappointed on your recent visit. You are entitled to your opinions, however, I feel that it is important for me to correct the deliberate factual inaccuracies in your review.

At The Market Restaurant we place an accent on the quality of our ingredients. All preparation of food and cooking is done here on the premises.

“The meat is pre-cooked from a packet like you would get in a super market” – simply not true

“the picture on this page isn't even from this restaurant, it is from another one in town and is on their website” - I would be grateful if you would share the details of this “other restaurant” as all the pictures on our tripadvisor page are copyright, were commissioned by me and taken here with proof on file. Legal action will surely follow.

Finally your comments concerning a young and inexperienced waitress on her second shift are unfair to say the least; a number of training needs have been identified, however, I don’t believe that anyone in this position should be subjected to physical, verbal or written abuse or intimidation by customers for trying their best.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Huge disappointment”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I booked The Market Restaurant for a friend's birthday meal never having eaten there before but seeing so many excellent reviews naming it as one of the best eateries in Manchester. I can only assume either a) they were having a VERY off night or b) some people have very low standards.
The food was at best, forgettable and mediocre. A very limited menu which left us selecting the 'turkey with all the trimmings" which turned out to be bog-standard pub food with half cooked roast spuds and very few trimmings of any note. I don't know what was going on with the wine - we asked 3 times for a bottle of Pinot Grigio and on each occasion I was given a tiny carafe of cheap tasting plonk of dubious origin and a mumbled apology/explanation that explained nothing! When the bill came It turned out that each of these small carafes cost us £7.25! The best bit was the cheeseboard, but at over £8 it should be good and there's not a lot you can do wrong with a bit of cheese and some biccies.
We didn't complain, by the end I just wanted to get out and put it all down to bad experience - I felt bad for my friend who must have been gutted to have such a lacklustre celebratory meal! Won't be going back again, and would advise anyone else to think very carefully before booking here. For the price it presents poor value compared to the many much better restaurants in the city.

5 Thank Grombags
Gary N, Owner at Market Restaurant, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
I read all feedback and respond personally. It has always been my belief that the best time to give feedback is at the time to enable action to be taken, where appropriate and possible. In your case I was seated in the Restaurant less than two feet away from you and would have tried my best to resolve the issues you raise if only they were raised with me (or any staff member) at the time.

The "limited menu" is available both on the website and outside the Restaurant for guests to peruse before they decide to dine here and we are about to launch an iphone app to ,make it even easier.

With regard to the wine: the Pinot Grigio is produced by leading New Zealand winemaker Matt Thomson, working with two co-operatives in the hills northeast of Verona with the aim of producing a range of modern, fruit driven wines. Working with growers (rather than buying bulk wine, which is standard among most wines from Verona at this price) to obtain ripe grapes (by reducing yields and picking later) and then, using Matt’s expertise to preserve these flavours in the finished wines. Modern, innovative wines that express the real quality inherent in Veronese viniculture.

I'm sorry there seemed to be some confusion between a bottle and a glass. We serve a 250ml glass in a carafe. So your "tiny carafe" was in fact one third of a bottle and the price one third of the bottle price from our list.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your experience with us.