“Good atmosphere and food”

Chaophraya Manchester
Ranked #173 of 2,435 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Been here a few times with friends and also to celebrate a hen-do. Overall the food is very nice and reasonably priced for what you get and the atmosphere is really good too.
The private rooms with the sunken floor is quite funky and cosy for a large party and the service has always been good too.

Their seafood curry dishes are nice and tasty but contain a bit too much oil than I'd prefer.
Their satay fondue was a great hit on hen-night as everyone loves the peanut-ty satay sauce that goes with everything.

The last time I visited I decided to try something different and went for the Duck Tamarind but was rather disappointed with the dish. It was excessively sweet and there was too much sauce. You would need to order a separate side of vegetables or something to accompany the dish.

Apart from that, I don't think I've had a bad meal here before and would recommend to anyone wanting to have a great evening dining out.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,896)

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I've been to Chaophraya several times now, as the service, food and atmosphere has always been fantastic. Located in Manchester town centre, walking distance from Metro or bus. Parking spaces are scarce on streets nearby but there are multi storey car parks about 5 minutes away.

It's definitely one of my favourite Thai restaurants.

1  Thank Gabriela S
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Fantastic atmosphere, modern interior and comfortable. My boyfriend and I went with another couple and all four of us enjoyed our meals. We were on the early sitting so unfortunately had to give up out table at 9.15, we would have liked to stay there drinking, great atmosphere!

Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Never been before but will definitely be going back.sevice was fab, atmosphere was buzzing and the food was so tasty and beautifully presented would recommend no problem.

1  Thank chappy08
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I was expecting wonderful things from this restaurant given it's previous reviews both online and from people who I'd spoken to about it, however I was very disappointed.
Our visit was impromptu after some Saturday afternoon shopping. When we arrived we asked whether there was a table for two available and were told yes. We were instructed to wait in the bar and someone would come along immediately for us to take us to our table. Almost half an hour later I had to ask if there was actually a table available as we'd just been abandoned and not given any feedback as to when we could expect to be seated. I think that they had forgotten that we were there. To give them credit they quickly arranged a table for us then, so benefit of the doubt.
The starters were really nice. Chicken spring rolls and tiger king prawns. 10 out of 10 there. However, the main course was lacking. The Green thai chicken curry was lacking something and my husband who had opted for Crispy duck salad said that it was like nothing he had eaten before (in a negative way unfortunately). He likened it to pork scratchings but duck on lettuce.

I was really disappointed as I had expected to come away saying great things about this place. Maybe they were just having an off day, but I'm unlikely to go back to find out.

2  Thank Dawn F