“Lovely evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Fig Restaurant

Fig Restaurant
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Fig. Restaurant at Cotswold House Hotel is all about using the finest local ingredients to create dishes that are full of flavour and treat for the senses.
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Lovely evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

We had their 6 course menu for £55, which was very, very good albeit tiny, tiny portions my husband had to ask for another potato which when it arrived was about the size of a 50 p piece. Stock up on the bread rolls if you have a big appetite, but really you cannot fault the quality of the food. Overall expensive if you add in wine, the total bill was £170 for two. Lovely environment, it felt special, super high ceilings and trendy decor. Service a little cold, apart from blonde waitress who was charming!!!

• Visited April 2013

Chipping Campden, England, United Kingdom
“Cotswold House Race Night & Curry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We had a brilliant night's entertainment and a fantastic curry - the added bonus was that Paul & Carol made sure it was a very welcoming, inclusive and friendly evening for the locals and the visitors.

Even though the price was very reasonable we didn't feel that they had compromised on quality at all and like many other people there that night I thought it was great to go out and do something different from the norm - right on our doorsteps. We are overwhelmed with choice in Chipping Campden for places to go and eat and drink in, but we are very short on entertainment and fun. The race night provided all of that and more.

So thanks to Paul & Carol at the Cotswold - keep up the good work because all your efforts are creating a great buzz around the town and we will keep spreading the word.

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food, The Dining Room is punching above its weight (and price)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

My wife and I visited the Cotswold House Hotel for a quick break before xmas. I chose it primarily because I had heard good things about the chef/restaurant and wanted to give it a try. We had a bit of a bad start at the hotel because the heating wasn't working in our room but they quickly moved us to another room - and as a bonus it was a huge suite - so we were back on track.

On to dinner. It was a quiet Wednesday night with only 4 or 5 tables full. The staff seemed a little formal to start but lightened up a bit as the night went on. The restaurant itself is very relaxing, a good mix of formal, but not too formal. Since there weren't many diners I was worried they would pace the food to fast, but they got it spot on - we didn't feel rushed. I think the menu probably changes quite frequently and it was one of those nights where I was going to struggle to pick something as everything looked so good. To start we had pumpkin soup with ricotta croquettes and roasted scallops with wild mushroom and barley. All cooked and seasoned perfectly. For mains we had venison (pretty sure it was cooked sous vide) with chicory and chestnuts and Brill with winter truffle and barley. The fish and venison were extremely high quality and again everything was cooked to perfection. A couple of individual elements were ever so slightly over-seasoned, but it didn't really distract from the overall enjoyment. For puds, I had a poached pear with cranberry and marscapone - perfect. My wife fancied cheese but they didn't have any soft cheese (like a Brie, her favourite) on the menu. She asked the waiter and he said that he could rustle up a local soft cheese, which ended up being fantastic.

Overall, my wife and I really loved this restaurant. I had pretty high expectations and they didn't disappoint. A really enjoyable, relaxed evening with extremely good food and wine - and truly amazing value at £35 for 3 courses (plus an amuse).

• Visited December 2012
Paul D, General Manager at Fig Restaurant, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review, our Head Chef Brett is delighted you had such a wonderful time and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon, please do contact me personally to arrange your next booking and as there was an issue with the heating if at all possible I will arrange a room upgrade with my compliments.

The Cotswold House and Noel Arms Hotels
murcot
“Relaxed atmosphere, wonderful food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

We visited Cotswold House for a birthday celebration. Champagne on arrival. The most amazing selection of appetisers with fabulous flatbreads, olives, and some fishy things (my husband thought they were wonderful - and although we asked what they were, I can't for the life of me remember now!) Beautifully cooked and presented food, served by friendly and attentive (but not overly so) staff. I can understand why the chef has been chosen as the one to watch in 2013 - from starter to pudding, everying was thoroughly satisfying to the eye and the palate.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank murcot
Paul D, General Manager at Fig Restaurant, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
What a lovely review thank you for taking the time to leave such kind comments we do appreciate it,
Paul Dixon
(The Cotswold House and Noel Arms)
Worcestershire
“Don't go for breakfast if you are hungry!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

My husband and I decided to have breakfast a few days ago and stopped here. Firstly the waiter didn't acknowledge our existence while we waited to be shown a seat as he was too busy writing something down at the bar to even say "just a minute" even, so we sat ourselves. About 5 mins later a lady asked if we wanted breakfast! A few more minutes later some one else wandered through and asked the same question and eventually we were brought the menu, baring in mind it was virtually empty. We ordered a side of toast which was fine and then asked if the eggs Benedict came with 1 or 2 eggs , we were told 2 and foolishly assumed it would come on 2 halfs of a muffin! Eventally 2 large plates arrived each with just one half of a muffin with a piece of ham and 2 tiny poached eggs and sauce, all of which was luke warm and eggs very undercooked. Our cafetiere of coffee barely filled our 2 cups so we asked for a top up. The bill for came to £33.00!! I rarely decline to tip having waitressed in the past, but the service was poor, the food ridiculously overpriced as was the coffee. The 'full English' would have been interesting to see at £14.50 if the eggs benedict was any indication of size, it should be named the 'tight English' I doubt you would leave feeling full. And to cap it all the waitress seemed put out that I didn't tip!

• Visited October 2012
What a shame! Please accept our apologies that your experience was not one shared by the vast majority of our guests, I have checked with the duty manager and we received no negative feedback the day you dinned, it is always a little confusing to me when on the rare occasion that guests are unhappy that they don’t mention anything and enable us to put it right.
Once again do accept my apologies that your visit to us was not as you or I would have expected
Paul Dixon
(The Cotswold House and Noel Arms)