“Great rental in lovely village”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of Blakemans House

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed August 24, 2015 for a stay in August 2015
people found this review helpful

I cannot agree more with the previous review, I stayed with my family for a week in mid August. I chose this property following research & correspondence with Campden Cottages, Blakemans could & should be one of the best rental properties in the area but is let down by the standard of house keeping, maintenance & attention to detail.

No welcome pack on arrival as promised, no highchair & cot as requested & confirmed would be provided, tv/sound system not working, heavy glass top fell off small table (not good with a 9 month old baby crawling), filthy oven, not enough towels, there was a tide mark round one of the baths, internal doors do not fit (not good when they have to be slammed shut when going to the bathroom in the middle of the night) loo roll holder fell to bits first time it was used, broken loo brush in 1 bathroom, none in the other, door between bedroom & shared bathroom would not lock (reported in visitors book 2011 &12). There were instructions to spray the shower after each use , but no spray to carry this out. Paintwork shabby. Externally the patio & flagged areas have not seen a brush since who knows when, the lawn had not been cut & the sun brolly was filthy.

I contacted housekeeping on arrival & left a message for a call back as a matter of urgency to which there was no response. My daughter in law had the foresight to take a high chair, we eventually found a travel cot in the cellar so at least we could sit our granddaughter at the table & put her to bed.

Campden Cottages did not reply to my message I eventually spoke to someone the following morning, but the person I spoke to could not action any of the issues.Someone called Bev called me back later & promised to come round. She was full of apologies and to be fair she brought a cake & some flowers (no milk) not quite the same effect as being there on arrival. She didn't take ownership for the issues, instead blamed the cleaning contractors .She managed to get someone out to the tv, and was appalled at the oven, promised to get someone out to clean (they never arrived). Extra towels were provided but no loo brushes & that was the last we saw of her.

We did not let any of the issues spoil our holiday & had great time in the Cotswolds but it could have been so much better. Would I return NO. Would I recommend Blakemans to friend, NO. We will certainly return to Chipping Camden but will not be staying in a cottage managed by Campden Cottages

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Location
Liked least: Disappointment on arrival, If something is promised, deliver it.
Traveling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Jazzabum
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Tired and in Need of Attention”
Reviewed August 2, 2015 for a stay in July 2015
people found this review helpful

This is a wonderful property set in the idyllic location of Chipping Camden, unfortunately we have just returned early from a weeks stay having found the cottage to be desperately in need of a good clean and requiring some much needed attention, before booking Blakeman’s Cottage I contacted the agents direct to make sure of it's quality and standard, they assured me this was one of the best properties on their books and without any doubts in my mind I felt this was the right property for me and my husband.

After along journey we arrived to what seemed to be a well appointed property, upon closer inspection this couldn't be further from the truth, we found dust and dirt in all of the rooms and the lovely seating area and garden area which was one of main things that attracted us to book, was filthy, the barbecue was a joke and the bins situated at the back door were overflowing with rubbish, it was that bad we couldn’t leave the back door open for the flies! I don’t believe these have been put out for weeks,

After a quick phone call to the agents leaving a message regarding the rubbish and now thinking nothing else could possibly be wrong we unpacked our bags to find the boiler not working, this would be my second phone call to Camden Cottages within 30 minutes of arriving and after 2 days of cold showers and still no return phone call, we luckily we found a plumber who was visiting another property in the area who kindly re-pressurised the boiler for us, over our stay we had no response to our 2 calls and this is from an agent who promises to return any phone call within 24 hours!

We found fragments of glass in the lounge carpet, the hoover was blocked and completely full, tired and worn pans in the cupboard, rocking tiles in the bathroom that nip your feet as you walk over them, it cold when we stayed and because of no heating we decided to use the log burning stove, the door was broken and completely off it's runners so lifting it up to load the logs made it very dangerous to use. All in all a very disappointing holiday.

Blakemans Cottage does have good points such as lovely spacious bedrooms, comfortable cosy lounge and a great kitchen, would I book again or recommend, I think not, this to me was a total waste of money but more importantly a wasted holiday.

Liked best: Great Location
Liked least: Poor Standard to the property and overall cleanliness
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Catherine...
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great rental in lovely village”
Reviewed September 13, 2014 for a stay in July 2014
person found this review helpful

Stayed here for a week in July with my husband, two kids and in-laws. A lovely rental with plenty of room for us all. Very comfortable beds, lovely big towels, large spotless bathrooms, beautiful patio area for outdoor eating. Village had plenty of pubs and restaurants and a great cafe in the Old Silk Mill.
Really enjoyed our stay.

Liked best: comfortable
Liked least: leaving!
Your age range 35-49
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed December 4, 2013 for a stay in November 2013

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: It felt like home almost immediatly
Liked least: Parking was a little difficult on a couple of occasions during the day
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
Dec 6, 2013
We love Blakemans House too but it's good to have our views confirmed. Thank you for taking the time to write such a full and positive review.
Reviewed December 8, 2012 for a stay in November 2012

Value Location
Management Response
Dec 11, 2012
We think it is beautiful too! Good to have it confirmed in an independent review
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing