“Excellent Food and Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lygon Arms Hotel

Lygon Arms Hotel
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The restaurant in the Lygon Arms is great for a special occasion. The food and service and ambience was perfect.

Visited April 2013

Exeter, United Kingdom
“Very friendly with wide ranging menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We booked for a family meal out for nine (including two younger children) and were made to feel very welcome - the menu was extensive and reasonably priced. When the meals arrived the portion sizes were generous and lovely - my tartlett came with a large salad that included pinepple, kiwi and strawberries. Great atmosphere in the pub, we would definately go again.

Visited April 2013
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Cotswold classic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This is what you expect of a traditional Cotswold pub. Fires burning at each end of the pub and a warm welcome. We enjoyed traditional ale and wine with delicious meals in the bar. We actually enjoyed a lunch and an evening meal here and it was all we could do to finish our platefuls in either sitting! Reasonably priced, huge platefuls, no room for pudding and a definite recommendation.

• Visited January 2013
Helmsley, United Kingdom
“A Trencherperson's place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Went here for dinner for four. great cheerful service - even make jokes about how much bread is on the table. The highlights were probably the shared min-staters, a bit of allsorts and the shared dessert - and after the enormous (mostly) main courses a shared dessert for 2 would probably satisfy four.

There were so lower points though. My wife's salmon for main course was overcooked, and the potatoes looked at tasted as if they had been kept too long and microwaved. The steak pie would have easily fed two, and - hurrah, it was cooked with the crust on. The leek mash was excellent, but my pork steaks a little on the dry side - overcooked gain I think. My friend's beef bourguinonne (sic) was excellent, he said.

It's good pub grub, well served, generous, but although there are some real refined moments, some of it is not quite up to it. Not cheap either - £120 for four with two soft drinks one glass of wine and pint - no coffee.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
Lymington, United Kingdom
“Best pub meal for a long time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Unfortunately I didn't discover this pub as an eating house until my last night in Chipping Campden, otherwise I would have been back for sure.
The pub is somewhat unusual in the way it is built, having spaces either side of an archway. The bar, on the right as you face it, is not at all extensive, and the area available for eating is therefore limited. On the other side of the archway is a small reception area and a dining room. I didn't really see the dining room, as it was closed off and not available on the evening I visited, as it had been booked for a private function. I therefore settled for a table in the bar, which fortunately I had the sense to reserve a bit earlier, and there I had my meal.
Not a dining room that exudes grace and high style, but warm, and welcoming and homely. The staff on duty were brilliant: friendly and helpful and charming. The menu was very attractive offering a wide range of food choices, and the food when it came was amazing. I had a beef, Guinness and oyster pie, totally home made, served from the pie dish, piping hot, and as many beautifully cooked vegetables as you could eat. Four of us ate heartily and none of us could find room for a desert. This was without doubt, one of the very best pub meals I have ever eaten. An absolute 'must' if you ever visit Chipping Campden.

• Visited February 2013