Book In Advance
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

1,654 results
All reviews national trust beautiful garden visited hidcote every corner lawrence johnston plant shop english garden well worth a visit vegetable garden plant sales nt members different areas full bloom water features arts and crafts for sale car park
Reviewed 5 days ago

Hidcote is a beautiful garden with both formal and natural settings. A lovely walk round the garden is essential and although we have been before we still discovered places that we hadn't already seen.This time of year the trees are showing all their beautiful autumn colour. Sensible shoes are best for this garden as a lot of paths are cobbled. The house and display are interesting but for me the garden is the star . We ate in the cafeteria which was fine but needs much better organization. The menu board is difficult to find so there were a lot of confused people walking about looking for it and the main choices are not printed on t he printed menu. You also have to state your table number when ordering and as it was so busy this was difficult as tables were being vacated slowly. The gluten free choice is extremely limited and the staff were not entirely sure about ingredients and although they would have left the till to find out this didn't seem fair on waiting customers. This was my choice but they were as helpful as they could be under the circumstances. A jacket potato was opted for. Once ordered the food came quickly .Well worth a visit but eat at a time when they are less busy .

1  Thank Wen4519
Reviewed 6 days ago

This is a fabulous garden filled with an astonishing variety of planhts. Lawrence Johnson was a plant collector who hose arefuly what he put in the garden and where he put it. There are an amazing number of axis and destination points interspersed with charming outbuildings. We had a nice lunch in the cafe.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

If you're a garden aficionado, this is a must-see. Meticulously laid out, the gardens are nothing less than beautiful. A significant drawback is that very few of the plants are labeled. A nice café on-site, and you can eat outside.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I wasn't quite sure what to expect at this National Trust property, but in the event was not disappointed. The manor house itself includes a small exhibition about the origins and history of the gardens, and is worth a visit. It will not take long however. The gardens themselves are well tended, and have been created in such a way that they form a series of themed separate 'rooms', these being divided by hedges of various shapes, heights and lengths - often with neatly cut out narrow 'doorways' connecting them together. In all honesty, this unique style of layout and design is very hard to explain, so you really need to visit and see the place for yourself. Personally, I have never seen anything like these gardens anywhere - hence the word 'unique'. There are two cafes, though only one of them is open weekdays. We found the one which was open when we visited served a good selection of both hot and cold food. All in all, an interesting experience.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

There had been very strong winds the previous day which had meant the gardens were. closed. Things were somewhat battered. However, this was not the full reason for the garden seeming a little neglected. Overall I felt it was not as brilliant as it had been on past visits and the garden centre was closing at lunch time so there was pressure to hurry round if one wanted to purchase anything. Hidcote is a garden of compartments and some of them were glorious while others seemed muddled. A future visit would be made earlier in the year! A number of the areas were roped off too.

1  Thank Penny G
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We spent only a couple of days in Chipping Campden, in the Cotswolds. Hidcote was the main reason for our visit. Our relative, Lawrence Johnston created Hidcote!! We had a wonderful private tour with the head gardener, Sarah. We walked all over the gorgeous property for almost two hours. It was truly a treat for our group of 4, including my 90 year old Mom who walked the whole time! Obviously a visit in the Spring or early Summer might be optimal but the grounds, flowers, vistas will be remembered forever and an inspiration to all of us. I can't wait to return.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Even in midSeptember,Hidcote revealed splendid color and texture throughout.I was mesmerized by the layout and planning needed to create this treasure. We spent hours wandering into each area and had the good fortune to attend an excellent talk on the gardens.
This garden was beyond my expectations.Do not visit in a rush.Take a deep breath and wander.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

After two days of rain we felt fortunate that it was dry and still for our visit to Hidcote. It's been a long time coming, with ' We could call and see Hidcote' but never quite managing it, until yesterday. Our first impressions were very positive, plenty of parking, and convenient toilets. The plant shop looked good, too.

Off to find the cafe for lunch. Going into the courtyard, the house looked so beautiful I wished I was with an estate agent and in the position to buy it, though this is obviously a fantasy, as I would not want so much garden nor to deprive the NT! In the cafe there was no sign by the counter of a savoury menu, just some scones and cakes. We didn't see the tasty sounding menu until looking for the water dispenser, and although my husband enjoyed his scone, I would have preferred a ham roll. So if you go there, make sure you find the menu before ordering!
The gardens are very attractive, and we were impressed with how much colour there still remained in the gardens. I very much liked the brick paths, and some steps constructed from upended tiles. The glass house was impressive with a wonderful 'flower shop' smell. I bought two books in the secondhand bookshop and a magic painting book in the shop for my granddaughter.
It was very interesting to go into the few downstairs rooms in the house. I was so sorry upstairs was out of bounds but I assume is offices. In a chapelike building next door to the house there was an interesting exhibition about various gardening society ladies who were friends of the owner. Very pleased we went.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Beautiful gardens! A must visit for anyone interested in well designed gardens. We were so lucky to be there when so many flowers were out.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Looking at the other reviews I wonder if I was dreaming! For many years I've read about Hidcote and finally got to visit. Yes we've had a long hot summer but the garden was rather jaded and the whole sensation was ok but nothing special Lawrence Johnstone's ,mother's garden was the best bit. The display in the house was interesting (biographies of connected people) and the plants sales area was excellent- very high standard and prices not too bad. Cafe had limited choice but service was v good- conversation between staff stopped immediately and given a warm welcome. (Soup around £5/ sandwiches £4) .................. excellent cleaning of bins around cafe but please not next to where I'm eating! The walk around the estate boundary was excellent- saw buzzards and a kite.

2  Thank Loretta R