“Lovely stay”

Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Reviewed August 13, 2014

We stayed here for two nights for our anniversary. We had a lovely room which was extremely comfortable. The en-suite was adequate however, the window is not obscure and with the toilet directly in front of it we needed to close the blind every time we used the toilet.
We ate breakfast and the evening meal in the grill as, disappointingly the dining room was closed. The service was slow in the grill but the quality of the food was first class!
We used the spa facilities which as a treat for a few hours were fine but it would be difficult to spend a whole day there as very small.
Chipping Campden itself is a lovely place and offers good access to other areas within the Cotswolds.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
ManagerCHHotel, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2014

Dear Bevlarr S,

Thank you for your kind review and we are pleased to have done your special occasion justice! It is good to hear how much you enjoyed Chefs great menu during your stay too.

With kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Cotswold House Hotel & Spa

Reviewed August 13, 2014

We first stayed at the Cotswold House Hotel over 10 years ago over the Christmas period. It was expensive but what a stay! Since then we'd not had the opportunity to stay again until a couple of weeks ago when we were attracted by a really attractive room offer on one of the usual hotels websites. I booked the room for 2 nights and a couple of days later received a phone call asking if we'd like a "cottage room" upgrade at a really special price. I accepted but then looked at their website. We'd been moved from the really good deal to something they were offering as standard on their website. A true "bait and switch". On arrival there were 3 couples waiting to check in but just a single member of staff on the desk. She was helpful (and resolved the room price issue) but she was clearly overworked.

The first evening meal we took in the Cotswold Grill was really tasty but there was just no atmosphere, no visible management and swarms of fruit flies that we spent the night swatting away. The staff did their job but just weren't "connected" with their customers, eg meal served up, two minutes later "is everything OK with your meal" then they disappear. Our drinks glasses empty, nobody to be seen but only the voices of staff chatting in the kitchen.

At breakfast, the same staff (wow they work them hard at the Cotswold House) struggled to keep up with breakfast orders. Left guests waiting for 10-15 minutes before taking orders, bringing the wrong food out from the kitchen etc. It had a distinct "Fawlty Towers" feel about it.

The property is getting tired, the gutters broken, stone steps crumbled and a trip hazard, the garden neglected, the once nice box hedging decimated by blight, paint peeling everywhere and the huge Bang & Olufsen TVs, state of the art when we went there a decade ago, now looking distinctly like museum pieces.

We ate out the second evening as the Grill looked almost empty and looked forward to a good nights sleep which was disturbed for an hour from midnight to 1am by the couple returning the the "Hot Tub Cottage" next door to us then proceeding to have a long noisy conversation interrupted only by embarrassing noisy sex in the hot tub (I hope they change the water for the next guests).

Cotswold House may have been a jewel in Chipping Campden 10 years ago but now it's just a tired old place lacking any form of visible management and not worth the money. Not even at the "special offer" price. Followed up our stay with a customer comments letter but nothing heard back. They clearly don't care any more.

Room Tip: Avoid the cottage rooms unless you like being disturbed by lovers in the hot tub next door!
7  Thank SphereHopper
ManagerCHHotel, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

Dear SphereHopper,

Firstly I do apologise to reviewers who posted their reviews before this review as out of courtesy I generally respond in chronological order. However I felt compelled to respond to this particular review straight away due to the nature surrounding the circumstance under which this review was posted.

Unfortunately (or forunately some might say!) I am not going to go into a tactical defense mode here as having personally spoken to parties concerned and apologized for perceived transgressions over the phone I see not point. Neither, out of courtesy again am I prepared to elaborate on the personal conversation on the phone I had with Mr ShpereHopper.

Suffice it to say that at times TripAdvisor can be cruel and unfair. Having said that who ever said life was fair!?

Thank you in any event for your comprehensive and well thought out review.

Kindest regards,

Michael Obray

Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Popped in for an afternoon tea and had a pleasant surprise. Despite being very quiet, service was superb and enjoyed the secluded garden terrace.
Afternoon tea was done very well and clearly cooked fresh and presented with some style and care. The profiteroles on the fancies provided a big wow and enjoyed.

A nice touch was a small side of lemon posset with blueberries.

I recommend this to the occasional diner in the wonderful village of chipping campden.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FoodieRyan
ManagerCHHotel, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2014

Dear FoodieRyan,

Its lovely to hear you were able to take full advantage of the beautiful and secluded gardens at Cotswold House with a perfectly presented afternoon tea. Chef is delighted to hear how much you enjoyed it - especially his refreshing lemon posset!

Please do feel very welcome to join us again (impromptu or not) for a meal in the Grill or Dining Room to experience the rest of chefs superb repertoire.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Best wishes,

Michael, Mini (Head Chef) and Team

Reviewed August 7, 2014

I took my fiancée to this lovely hotel for a slap up meal to celebrate our engagement... We were supposed to stay at the hotel but staff mis-quoted the price for the duration of our stay, which resulted in me booking alternative accommodation. However, despite this hiccup, I still wanted to go to the hotel to celebrate for dinner, and I'm glad we did!

The food was exquisite, the service impeccable, and once the front office manager had realised her colleagues errors, she went out of her way to ensure there were flowers and a chilled bottle of bubbly on the table. These somewhat rudimentary little touches really made the meal that little bit more special, and my Fiancé loved it.

I'd recommend the Grill restaurant to anybody. It's sleek, un-pretentious and understated class makes for the perfect setting to celebrate any occasion.

We ate at 8pm on a Sunday evening, so my review is based on a quiet time in the restaurant, so take this in to consideration as it may not be a true reflection of the service during peak times.

3  Thank KWatts1985

Dear KWatts 1985,

Thank you for your kind review about the Grill. I am pleased we made up for misquoting the accommodation and my sincere apologies for this. However thank you for coming back to dine with us ion your special occasion and on behalf of us all at Cotswold House Hotel CONGRATULATIONS!! I hope you might consider us for a stay in the future and if so I assure you we will get the rates right (or even better!).

We wish you both the very best for the future together.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

My partner and I stayed here 2 weeks ago, just for one night, as a quick little getaway and also to check it out for staying over Christmas with our toddler, parents and pup! After checking in we met up with Carol, the Sales Manager with whom we'd been discussing a Christmas break. She was fantastic and an absolute credit to the hotel. Carol gave us a tour of the rooms we would have at Xmas, as well as the hotel / spa itself and gave us a detailed explanation of the fun and games that occur during the Xmas break. We went to our room (superior room) which was a superb combination of old school and modern quirky - wooden beams, tilted ceilings, super king size bed, a/c (much needed on that very hot weekend), The tub was in the room which is a great touch for a couple ! Two super funky and comfy orange leather chairs made up the 'living' area - i loved these chairs (note to hotel, if you ever want to get rid of them, contact me first ) Even our loo was snazzy with one wall changing colours throughout the night acting as a subtle nightlight. The only part of the hotel that seemed a little shabby was the hallways but nothing a coat of paint couldn't fix !

We booked in for a mini massage at the spa. The spa was well done, very clean and comfortable. Our back, neck and shoulder massages were excellent. Shall definitely be going for a full length one on our next visit.

There are 2 restaurants and we decided to eat in the more formal dining room with a prix fix menu of £45 / pp. First of all I would like to say that the maitre'd, a French lady, was amazing - courteous, knowledgeable and organised. However, when we saw the menu we were a little disappointed because many of the things on the 'prix fixe' had additional supplements, just the more basic dishes were included in the price. The food itself was fine but there wasn't a lot of it.! I do think we would have been better in the more casual restaurant which seemed to have a lot more choices on the menu.

Great nights sleep, great breakfast and lovely Cotswold location. We are going back for our Christmas break with all the family in tow and look forward to it immensely.

2  Thank Rubitooz
ManagerCHHotel, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2014

Dear Rubitooz,

Thank you for your review which I am especially pleased to read knowing that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back for Christmas! You will certainly not be disappointed as Cotswold House Hotel, with its Cotswold Country setting in the charmingly quaint town of Chipping Campden offers an idyllic festive season setting on so many levels and we will make sure you all have a very merry Christmas stay.

I'm glad you had a comfortable stay last time too (the beds do make for a great nights sleep!) and enjoyed our lovely spa. However taking on board you constructive comments about the food we will certainly ensure the food portions at Christmas are far more hearty and fulfilling and you will not be left wanting (even for our classic home made mince pies!)

We are also positive you will also notice the subtle differences to the public areas on your return as paint and brushes have been put to good use in many of the areas required in an ongoing and rotating program of redecorating and refurbishment which includes bedrooms and carpets.

See you in December - if not sooner?

Kindest regards,

Michael, Carol and Team

Reviewed August 5, 2014

As a newcomer to Chipping Campden - and the Cotswold House Hotel & Spa - I arrived hoping for a relaxing break in a picturesque location. The reality was to far exceed my expectations!
The town itself is stunning, with a high street and adjoining roads that look like they've stepped straight out of a period drama. The buildings are beautiful, not least because of the distinctive Cotswold stone and planners' restrictions on signage and branding, and the entire town has a welcoming, laid-back feel.
But for me the gem of Chipping Campden was the hotel itself. Ideally located in the very heart of the High Street, but still boasting plenty of private parking (accessed via a secluded side road), Cotswold House offered a hard-to-beat base for our two days of exploring the surrounding countryside.
Many historic hotels that claim to be "contemporary" end up being an incongruous muddle of old and new. This was definitely not the case here. The decor and furnishings were distinctive but, in my opinion, achieved the perfect balance of creating interest without detracting from the fine building itself. The lounges were extremely comfortable and the two dining areas (one more formal, the other an informal "grill") were extremely welcoming. We ate in each of the dining rooms, with the food being of an exceptionally high standard - a delicate balance of flavours and textures, beautifully presented but without falling into the trap of being pretentious or skimping on portions!
Another superb bonus was the gardens, which provided the ideal retreat - and our luck with the weather meant we could exploit them to the full!
Our bedroom, accessed along a flower-lined path to the rear of the main building, was stunning. It was stylishly furnished, full of charm, with plenty of space... and a great bathroom. As we were marking an anniversary, we had treated ourselves to one of the ground-floor rooms that boasted its own enclosed garden - complete with terrace and hot tub. We were certainly not disappointed.
As part of our "treat", I had also booked a massage in the hotel's spa, which offered an hour of absolute bliss, while I also made full use of the pool and steam room.
Other highlights at Cotswold House included the great breakfasts and, above all, the friendliness of the staff. From the reception to the dining room (and everyone in between) the team were always smiling and keen to help.
I feel I should level some criticism, just to add balance, but the reality was that the entire visit was superb. Perhaps it was the sunshine, perhaps it was the "film-set" appeal of Chipping Campden - but I think the credit should really go to a fine hotel, to which I will most definitely return!

7  Thank Peter_Guildford

Dear Peter_Guildford,

The Team and I were truly delighted upon reading your comprehensively positive review! Its good to know you enjoyed every moment of your stay with us from beginning to end and the bits in the middle. Chef is certainly talented and produces both fine dining and brasserie style menus equally well and with as much passion devoted to each restaurant. Our rustic gardens make for an ideal haven to relax in and the fact we have a first class spa hidden at the top of the grounds makes the garden walk all that more rewarding - from a peaceful walk into sublime relaxation you experienced in the hands of our expert therapists has to be the perfect pamper recipe for any stay.

As I have stated on a few occasions on TripAdvisor and never get tired of highlighting it again, we are lucky to be in such a uniquely beautiful location which I am pleased that you took full advantage of.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back just as much as you are looking forward to returning so hope we see you soon.

With kind regards,

Reviewed August 4, 2014

My husband and I visited the hotel for a birthday treat. We planned a day in the spa, then an evening at the restaurant etc.

The website looks very impressive, but the spa facilities are extremely limited! I should have realised something was wrong when no one on reception offered to show us around - there isn't anything to find! There is one very small pool that doubles up as the hydrotherapy pool and the jacuzzi. There is a small dingy steam room with corroded pipe work (space for two comfortably). We asked where the rain shower was, and were told it was in the changing rooms. Changing rooms are very small, but quite clean. The pool area was such a disappointment. The jets weren't working properly, and the antislip mats needed a good clean! There are comfortable loungers by the pool, and we were finally shown the relaxation room after our treatments. The one positive about the spa were the treatments. I was really pleased with my massage, and so was my husband. Although, he did say that it didn't last the allocated time, and was about 10 minutes short! A nice touch was some fruit sorbet and a chilled water in the relaxation room after the treatment. The most misleading thing is that there are no food/drink facilities at the spa. You can walk through the gardens to get yourself a drink from the main hotel, but this wasn't really something that I fancied doing in the rain, and in my dressing gown. I looked back at the website, and in fairness to them it doesn't say that they have facilities on the spa site; however, the assumption was made as there are many references to their restaurants at the hotel. I wrongly assumed that one restaurant was affiliated with the hotel, and the other with the spa. I was wrong! If you are staying at the hotel it might be worth a treatment, but please don't book this hotel expecting to be able to spend a day/afternoon at the spa. You will be disappointed.

As for the hotel. We stayed in one of the garden rooms and were pleased with the facilities. We had a hot tub in the garden area which was great, but not the cleanest again. Staff were pleasant, and happily brought a drink to the room when requested. It was noisy at night - I think as we were close to the kitchens you could hear staff leaving and clearing down. It was still very noisy at around midnight, so we had to close the windows to get some peace. We used the Cotswold Grill for breakfast and dinner, and were pleased on both occasions. Breakfast is good quality with lots of choice. At dinner we both had a steak, and were pleased with the cooking and quality of produce. It was really popular, and it appeared lots of locals use it too. This is normally a sign that the hotel restaurant is good!

Great central location in Chipping Camden. The car park is around the back, so pull up in the small car park at the front (don't pay), then they will give you directions to the back car park as it isn't obvious!

2  Thank smijyrick

Dear smijyrick,

I am pleased you found your hotel experience to be pretty good. I equally sorry you did not like the spa but delighted you thought the treatments were commendable.

Kind regards,

#2 of 6 in Broadway
Buckland Manor
Buckland Manor
#1 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Cotswold House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!