“Attention to detail lacking”

Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Manchester
“Attention to detail lacking”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

we stayed for one night after having stayed at the hotel 3 years ago. I felt the standards had gone down. The carpet in the common areas, needed cleaning, the air conditioning in our room was only partially working. The thermostat on the shower had gone which meant the water was either freezing or boiling! We were not told that there is no free standing shower in room 1, the shower is part of the bath which is not a good arrangement. The staff however were very polite and accommodating.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerCHHotel, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear Andrean51

We are truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. I have taken note of your valuable feedback and as the new General Manager I have noted the issues relating to attention to detail and have to agree that this was the case during your stay.

I am very pleased to be able to say that we have been hard at work already at putting the gloss back onto the finishing touches and the attention to detail throughout the hotel and spa.

This is a truly magnificent building and the cottages in our beautiful and unique gardens are quite special. As such Cotswold House Hotel deserves the care and attention is is now once again getting from the team who are committed to continuing our high standards of service.

I am positive you will already notice the changes and see that our high standards have been raised even higher.

With all best wishes,

Michael and Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed here Friday evening on a special offer break the hotel is in the beautiful village of Chipping campden and it has beautiful gardens at the rear. The staff were very helpful and friendly both at check in and throughout our stay. The food was presented well and tasted great, we had a two course evening meal and English breakfast the following morning. It is the little touches that sets this hotel apart from others like the tea tray in the bedroom with freshly made biscuits and a small carton of fresh milk in the fridge, bathrobes and lovely toiletries and many other things. The spa is small but it is not a huge hotel so it was never busy. I would recommend this hotel it is very clean and its location is fantastic to explore the Cotswolds.

Room Tip: Ask for a back room over looking the gardens
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
ManagerCHHotel, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear OXONJONH,

The Team and I are really pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your time with us at Cotswold House Hotel. I totally agree that not only are the hotel and grounds remarkably beautiful but we are very lucky to be in such a picturesque village of Chippning Campdon in the heart of the Cotswolds.

Whenever you need your next relaxing get-away we would hope to welcome you back!

Best wishes,

Michael and team
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We have just arrived home from a one night break at the CHH & Spa.

We last stayed around 4 years ago via a booking with the boutique hotel agency Mr & Mrs Smith. Then, we had the most fabulous stay in the very private Hidcote cottage suite complete with private garden and hot tub. Our fondest memories were of the lovely private cottage garden and of course, our very own hot hub but also the little things that made the CHH so special. A pillow menu, where you could pick from a selection of the finest pillows for your sleeping comfort. Who thought it would be a good idea to get rid of this super special touch? Also, the high-end Acqua di Parma soap and accessories in the bathroom have now been replaced by REN products. Whilst still pretty good, the Acqua di Parma was something extra special and got us into buying into this range when we arrived home.

Alas, much of the “magic” has gone and felt a quite different experience this time. Again, we booked the Hidcote suite for the night. The hot tub today is looking quite tired with damaged seating and a sharp screw sticking up, it must be time to for a refurb?
The same can be said for most of the decoration in nearly all places, with marks and wear showing though.

On our last visit, the breakfast was to die for with super attentive service, and my particular favourite; Scottish porridge oats with a dram of Scotch whiskey to pour over and cream. Such luxury.
Only basic porridge is on the menu now. The waiting staff try hard, probably too hard but they are just no good at it and it becomes annoying and with so many mistakes. CHH, train your staff, they were all good before, what has happened? – So many things were wrong with breakfast service on Saturday morning and much the same was happening to others. If they all wrote reviews, I am sure it would be pretty damming.
We had lunch at the White Hart Hotel, Stow. This is where the waiting staff, food and general goodness are exemplary. The CHH would be well advised to take a visit.
At these prices it was okay before but not now. I can’t see us going back or recommending the Cotswold House Hotel again.

One positive was the excellent concierge who called us by name as soon as we arrived and did so throughout our short stay. Keep him and improve the rest.

Room Tip: Hidcote suite with hot tub
Hello DunsfoldSkiClub,

As the new General manager I find your review very interesting and informative and very helpful. The reason being is that 4 years ago the hotel was run by an entirely different team and since then there have been a few changes here and there but essentially Cotswold House Hotel still remains at heart a truly magnificent hotel. I am excited to say that we are indeed looking at areas where the hotel needs a little TLC to bring it back to its tip top former glory and we are working on this as we speak. This I am delighted to inform you includes the Hot Tubs and perhaps the return of the quirky pillow menu too!

Then as a team we are busily recapturing the unique sense of esprit de corps and attention to detail which when coming from the heart creates a warm and welcoming environment and adds an air of charm and understated sophistication for all to enjoy when they visit Cotswold House Hotel.

I hope you will not wait another 4 years before you visit us again as we would like you to experience the difference much sooner than that!

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Very lovelly place for a nice weekend.
the hot tub outside the room was really nice.
the only thing is you have to get out of the room at 11 am. which is really early for the price paid.
and the spa closes at 7.00, so quite hard to fully enjoy the room.
but very calm

Dear AmauryLondon,

We are very pleased you felt relaxed and had some quiet time away to unwind.

We are delighted to hear you wanted to stay a little longer however because of the quality and stylish décor in our bedrooms we take particular care in ensuring they are in perfect condition for guests to check into so sadly generally we do need to set check out at 11 am as do many other hotels as a standard. However upon prior request and where possible we can occasionally occasionally accommodate later check outs for those who wish to linger a little longer.

You will also be happy to know that from next year we will be reviewing spa times so that our guests can get even more benefit of the lovely facilities and hydro pool.

I hope we will see you back soon and we will be very happy for you to linger a little longer and depart even more relaxed than you were this time round!

Best wishes,

London
Reviewed July 18, 2013

A beautifully decorated room with amazing views to the rear. A tad over-priced but the staff were very welcoming and friendly throughout our stay. A very nice breakfast, try and get a table in the front of the restaurant, with a good menu and buffet selection.

The spa is adequate considering the size of the hotel but the swimming/plunge pool doesn't have the relaxing vibe you would expect. (The car park adjacent to the spa doesn't help either............)

The gardens behind the hotel are beautiful...........

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bucky467,

Thank you for your kind comments. We are in the process of refreshing some of the bedrooms to bring them all back to the highest of standards, even more so than they are at the moment which will always assist in ensuring we consistently meet our guests expectations and continue to provide total value for money.

Its always very good to hear compliments about the staff and service which optimises our ethos of always ensuring our guests have the most relaxing, refreshing and comfortable of stays.

The spa is unique in its location and design and for this we are fortunate to have won Laterooms Best Kept Secrets luxury spa of the year in 2012. For those who wish to relax in solitude either before or after one of our award winning treatments we offer a dedicated relaxation area away from the hydrotherapy pool which in itself is a lovely area to sit and unwind in and contemplate the finer things in life or simply drift into peaceful contemplation and escape for a while.

Once again thank you for your kind review and please do visit us again when you next need to escape and unwind!

Best regards,

manchester, the world
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed at the Cotswold house a few years back when everything was brand spanking new and boutique hotels were a little more scare and I adored it. I went back in July and was not disappointed. The welcome was still warm, I booked direct and so knew exactly what I was getting, and when the weather turned out so unexpectedly scorching and I needed to change rooms to one with a shower were moved with no fuss to a fabulous room. The heat this weekend was intense yet both rooms we visited had whisper quiet air conditioning units which is a fabulous touch missed by many of the formulaic chain boutique hotels
I have read other readers’ comments about the wear showing and yes, I accept things are not as perfectly fresh as before, but that would be comparing it to many of crisp the inner city new builds. The management would do well to ensure anything that is obviously not working is repaired or changed, but the other wear is not noticeable, the establishment remains gorgeous and grand. Breakfast was lovely, any amount of toast refills were brought and the continual aspects were unlimited. I am unsure about others complaints in this department as the hotel breakfast is not ‘fine dining’ so you can and are welcome to, get up and help yourself. We didn’t dine here for dinner but went over the road to the Noel arms and around the area in general which was great

My only slight disappointment were the gardens. Some of the fabulous floral perennial planting had been replaced with shrubs which were not quite so spectacular, nevertheless the gardens still remain a significant and beautiful feature of this establishment. It’s a shame the garden bar doesn’t stay open a little later, though you can carry your drink out from the main building.

The spa is a great addition. My partner booked me a surprise rose based top to toe treatment which left my skin feeling amazing. The pool was lovely. Having seen the reviews stating ‘postage stamp’ I was pleasantly surprised to see it perfectly sized for some gentle cooling off (though not big enough for a lane swimmer)

It is certainly not the cheapest hotel and perhaps some would say not good value for money, but I think if you compare this across the rest of the Cotswolds hotspots, it's in the similar range to some of the other establishments here.

Overall I would have no hesitation in going back. The location is outstanding, the facilities are beautiful and the hotel is an oasis of calm. I guess it depends what you are coming to the area for. We sat outside watching the sun go down just listening to the birds. The peace and quiet were exactly what we needed and we were very grateful we’d booked the Cotswold house.

Room Tip: we stayed in 2 rooms, loved both of them. I stayed in a petit double on a previous visit and enjoyed...
2 Thank Avers
ManagerCHHotel, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear Avers,

In making your kind and complimentary remarks you have really highlighted what Cotswold House is all about. Yes, it had an amazing transformation 8 or so years ago and yes, we still have a beautiful building and grounds with many features in both public areas and bedrooms that have stood the test of time though sheer quality. There are admittedly areas that need touching up and a small amount of TLC to restore all to pristine a state and I am delighted to say as new General Manager the team and I with the backing of Directors aim to do just this! That is not to say the hotel is not already a truly wonderful place to be , especially situated in the heart of the lovely Cotswold town of Chipping Campden.

You are also correct about the grounds and gardens which still would make 9 out of 10 gardens look ordinary but again we will be turning our attention to making them even more of a feature and a talking point for miles around.

The team and I am so pleased to hear how well you were looked after during your stay as this is what we are all about. Please do join us again soon and I am sure you will leave us with even fonder memories!

With kindest regards,

Berkshire
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Treat for my daughter's 21st, some mother /daughter bonding and pampering. The hotel is wonderful, a lovely georgian building sympathetically modernised. The rooms had every comfort while retaining the personality of the old building. Nothing was too much trouble for the lovely staff. Excellent meal at the restaurant and good breakfast (in a deal). Amazingly comfortable beds!

Stunning gardens where there is a cafe/ restaurant.

Spa: the spa package was only for 2 hours, which I hadn't spotted in the small print, which was just as well as there isn;t much to do; a lovely pool with jets, and a steam room, but that was it. However the treatments were out of this world, in the Moroccan styled area; I have never had such a good massage and also a wonderful facial. I fancied pushing the boat out for the rose petal envelopment treamtent but it needs advance booking.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank earleybird27
Dear Earlybird27,

The Spa team are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your treatments and your whole experience. Now you have a very plausible excuse to return for that Rose Petal treatment - we are positive you would find that alone worth a return trip!

I am pleased too that the staff in the hotel looked after you from start to finish and as you say nothing is too much trouble for us.

We are indeed blessed with a wonderful Georgian building and stunning grounds in the beautifully atmospheric and friendly village of Chipping Campden.

All the more reason to see you again soon!

Kind regards,

Buckland Manor Country House Hotel
Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to Cotswold House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!