The Seagrave Arms(Chipping Campden)(Great Value!)
$106
Noel Arms Hotel(Chipping Campden)
$175
$201
Badgers Hall(Chipping Campden)
Norton Grounds(Chipping Campden)
TripAdvisor
Eight Bells Inn(Chipping Campden)
  • Restaurant
Red Lion Inn(Chipping Campden)
TripAdvisor
The Volunteer Inn(Chipping Campden)
1,218 results
All reviewsjunior suitefig restauranthot tubturn down servicesteam roommood lightingsorbetsmall poolhomemade cookiescottage roomeggs benedictprivate gardenhuge bathbreakfast servicebottle of champagnesister hotelmain restaurant
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel: 8 times over the last 2 years. The hotel used to be serviced by Temple Spa and have wonderful treatments: they now have random products which were described as a one member of staff as different.

Despite the fact that noone said the Spa was not suitable for babies when I telephoned and no obvious signs were up saying babies were not allowed in the spa vicinity. I became a hostage in my own room.

The cot I was provided with for my child was unsuitable an it rocked: when I told the Manager he told me if you are not happy you might as well go home.

The staff are dishonest and the Managers are inept: remember they probably could not obtain a comparative job in London. My believe the staff demonstrated a racist attitude towards myself and the Manager's way of dealing with us was to tell us not to come back.

Lack of value for money: Calcot Manor is infinitely better!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Priya318795
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Right in the middle of Chipping Campden, a charming town which is a great base for exploring the Cotswolds. We had the "Ashbee Cottage" one night and the "Hidcote Cottage" for two nights. Both are in a separate building behind the main hotel building, and very quiet. The latter has a private garden and hot tub - the only one on property, I think. Although I didn't see the rooms in the main building, I recommend the cottages if they fit your price point.

Observations / areas for improvement: the toilets don't flush well, especially in Hidcote, and at checkout an incorrect rate appeared on our bill for the 2nd & 3rd nights. (We booked through Small Luxury Hotels, and the hotel said it hadn't received an SLH revision to our reservation. Fortunately, I had my own copy, showing the rate.) Ultimately the bill was adjusted correctly, but it took more effort on my part than it should have. "The customer is always right" memo apparently hadn't been circulated.) Breakfast service, however, was friendly and efficient, so on balance, an "average" rating for Service.

Room Tip: Hidcote "Cottage" (ground floor of a four-plex), if within your travel budget - private hot tub, private garden. Ashbee "Cottage" (actually, large upstairs room; same four-plex as Hidcote) was also spacious, but slanted roofline made headroom somewhat tight. Thermostat totally unviewable without a mirror & flashlight.
Reviewed April 24, 2012

My husband and I (both in our early 30s) really enjoyed our mini break at this hotel. We had chosen an executive room (just one up from standard). It was spacious, quiet, well decorated and had a comfortable bed. We were told on booking that it didn't have a shower, but had an in-room bath, which was quirky and may not be to some people's tastes, but the hotel made it very clear before booking so no-one could book and be disappointed. We had breakfast at the hotel each morning and it was delicious. We dined in one night and were delighted with the standard of food and the service. Dinner was around £120 including wine. We also had several treatments at the spa. It is new and beautifully kitted out. The only disappointment was that I booked in advance and mentioned I was pregnant (2nd trimester) and on arrival I was told that they could only do half of my first treatment due to their 'policy' and yet I was still charged the full price. That was the only disappointment of the whole trip and to be fair to the hotel I did not mention it when checking out so I did not give them the chance to refund the treatment. Would highly recommend.

1  Thank Melissa C
Reviewed April 22, 2012

The reason we have written poor is because the hotel simply isn't worth the money they charge. We stayed for 2 nights (their minimum stay on the weekend), had 2 basic spa treatments each, dinner one night and lunch one day. The bill came to over £750.

The hotel is quite dated, especially the rooms and hallways. The service at reception was awful and the reception staff were completely unhelpful with arranging transport from the station. We were told there would be taxis and when there weren't, we suggested they encourage all future guests to book one in advance to avoid a 30 minute wait. They refused to take it on board or admit that they should have better prepared us.

The hotel also lacks small touches which you would expect for a boutique hotel of this price e.g. no help with bags (unless specifically asked), no offer to arrange a taxi back to the station, no foot-brush or a heavy duty doormat at the entrance for muddy shoes.

Some of the waiters at the restaurant were very friendly, others were useless. Breakfast was good with lovely ingredients, as was the day time/evening menu. The salad portions are tiny though so you definitely couldn't have them as a main course. We agree with one of the previous comments that the restaurant lacked any atmosphere and was a throughway for guests dragging bags etc.

Make sure you get a walking map from reception. They have some lovely routes nearby.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a larger deluxe room which was a lot bigger and had a king sized bed.
1  Thank G-Duo
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stayed for 1 night as a 30th birthday present with my partner, we arrived early and were advised we could use the spa until out room was ready. We stayed in a junior suite with its private garden and hot tub. The bedroom was lovely and the bathroom had a walk in shower and a separate bath with a tv built into the wall.

We ate at the 8 bells pub just down the rd which was lovely And the food very good I had a 10 oz rib eye steak which was £20.

We had breakfast delivered to the room which cost a £5 but was worth it. We had 1 last dip in the hot tub, all in all a very nice stay.

• Stayed: April 2012