“Fantastic Weekend”

Charingworth Manor
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Weekend”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband and I have just returned rom a weekend at Charingworth Manor which I booked as a surprise for his 50th birthday.

I had specifically asked for a quiet room and after discussing options with the Manager chose the Cresswell room in the attic; we were not disappointed.

Everything about our visit was perfect from the lovely greeting we received from Alex on arrival; the chilled prosecco waiting in our room, the speedy courteous room service and the fantastic evening meal. After dinner we were invited to take coffee and chocolates in one of the lovely lounges where we sat by the open fire.

After a delicious breakfast we visited the lounge for the second time and enjoyed a leisurely coffee relaxing over the complimentary newspapers.

We have visited many hotels for weekend breaks and Charingworth Manor definitely ranks high on our list of favourites; will definitely be returning again in the summer so that we can fully appreciate the beauty of this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Would definitely recommend the attic room for a quiet, romantic break.
1 Thank DawnE101
charingworth, General Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Guests

I'm glad the birthday celebrations went well and you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

We would love to welcome you back in the summer months and don’t hesitate to contact me if I can help with any reservations.

Michael Eastick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My wife and I have just enjoyed the most fantastic two days at this sublime hotel. We have visited a few times in the past to enjoy afternoon tea, but this was our first stay-over.

From the minute we arrived, where Sarah greeted us with an engaging smile, to the minute we left, the service was professional, courteous and above all very friendly. Nothing was too much trouble.

The building is one of the most beautiful we have ever had the pleasure of staying in. The main part is many centuries old with glorious stone mullioned windows, open fires, flags to the hallway and many exposed timbers. It is cosy, luxurious, intimate and restful.

We stayed in the large four poster bedded Gilbert room, with windows to two elevations and a separate large en-suite bathroom down some steps. The bed was extremely comfortable and the robes soft. We enjoyed the view from the traditional window seat, used all the modern facilities including free wi-fi and enjoyed blissful peace and quiet.

We ate in the restaurant for dinner on both days. Excellent food was expertly prepared, served and consumed with joy. After each meal we took tea in the lounge where we relaxed and soaked up the wonderful atmosphere that only a real fire can bring.

We congratulate the team for making my wife’s birthday weekend such a memorable event. We will return to this wonderful hidden gem soon.

1 Thank Stewomble
charingworth, General Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for your kind comments, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I will share your comments with the team here at the hotel.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future and please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can help in anyway

Shropshire, England
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My husband and I have just arrived back after a two night stay at this hotel. We go away with our dogs, and this is truly a dog friendly hotel.
Excellent points were - the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff. Excellent room. Lovely shower. patio doors to take dogs straight from room. atmosphere of hotel. size of bed. wonderful food (able to eat in the drawing room with dogs, or have room service). Bartender makes fabulous cocktails. Lovely location and grounds.
Points that could be improved upon. breakfast - our smoked haddock that we paid extra for didn't have the poached egg on top. Leisure centre a bit small, so not the best place for a spa break, although the hotel doesn't sell itself as this.
all in all we had a great stay, and were made to feel really welcome. The highlight of the weekend was the wonderful food.

Room Tip: The worcester room is a perfect dog friendly room.
1 Thank pigwidgeon_11
Dear guest

Thank you for your kind comments, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and of course your dogs.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I recently attended a Wedding at this lovely scenic country venue.
The building had access to wifi but it was very limited
We were looked after by the staff well, but there was a discrepancy over our evening meal prior to the wedding which was a little embarrassing.
The room that I was staying in had low beams, which were of course part of the country feel to the place, just a heads up to those over 5ft 9 like me ;)
Also quite a squeaky spring bed and at 2am we were woken by banging downstairs that sounded like staff were moving tables.

Facilities were great
Gardens were lovely with a smoking area.
Food was lovely.
Drinks were amazing! Great bar.

What ruined such a lovely venue? The management.
I was very disappointed to be brought a bill half way through the wedding breakfast. We had to check out before the wedding and my partner kindly checked out as I was with the bride all morning helping her get ready. He only had enough on him to pay just over half the bill, so explained the situation with the manager and made it clear that we had the money with us and would absolutely be back after the ceremony and dinner to settle the rest. My partner did this so that they didn't need to be chasing us around the hotel throughout the day. I would not have minded but it was quite rude to interrupt the wedding breakfast, to present me with the remainder of my bill, in front of a table of guests I barely know, and that I had not at all 'forgotten to pay'.

We did confront the manager softly about this when we went to pay. His response was far from adequate. He insisted twice that he "was not being rude" and refused to acknowledge that it was at all an issue.

What happened to the customer is always right?

Another guest had issues too. I feel judgement was made on this particular guest, as he has tattoos and isn't 'posh'. Just before the ceremony, this guest was handed a letter and told "you've been smoking in your [his] room". Now, this guest works one of the South West's best hotels with 5stars. He is very aware how hotels work, and knows not to smoke in the room. There was a terrace to his room where there was an ashtray. He had been smoking out there and the smell must have followed him in.

Not only had he not committed the offence, but to be addressed about it, minutes before the bride was about to walk down the aisle. This was just poor taste.

Overall, I lovely place but the management really needs addressing.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the modern side of the building,
6 Thank 706joa
charingworth, Front Office Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for your comments after you attended a wedding here at Charingworth, I'm glad you enjoyed the meal and drinks and I will share your comments with the staff here.

I'm saddened by your comments about smoking in the hotel, incidents which were reported to the reception from other guests staying with us and we do have to act upon to maintain a non smoking hotel.

If you did want to speak with me directly about these points please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.

Jeff Mackins,
Wedding and Events department
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We joined a friends birthday party afternoon tea party. A little difficult to find if you have not done your research previously, as we hadn't. Very attractive location particularly on a sunny winters afternoon. Lots of character in the building including the modern extension. The afternoon tea was average, but served by very helpful staff.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mizzenstaysail
charingworth, General Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Guests

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on trip advisor. I'm sorry you found us a little difficult to reach.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future and if I can help with any reservations please don’t hesitate to contact me.

London
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Chose this hotel really because of the location and it's perfect for getting around all the lovely places in the Cotswolds. It's a beautiful old manor and the rooms are in keeping with the character. We loved the log fires and it had a lovely cosy feel to it.

While the food at dinner was good, it wasn't particularly memorable. Overall a lovely stay but I'm not sure I'd stay more than 1 or 2 nights.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ruth_Teddington
Dear Guests

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on trip advisor. I will share these with the team here at the hotel.

Warminster, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2014

This hotel is visually outstanding inside and out. My wife an I had a babymoon here on an Autumn Break package for £298. We were treated to a standard room, however even they are stunning with lovely furnishings and a king size bed. My wife also appreciated the wonderfully sized bath. The only complaint we could possible have about this room was that the floorboards from the room above were quite creaky, which would need to be fixed otherwise lighter sleepers may get frustrated.

The swimming pool and spa was simply delightful and we made 2 visits a day there. The grounds were fantastic with plenty of space to take a short walk. Plenty to do nearby as well with the gorgeous chipping campden and the historical stratford upon avon. The service in the hotel was good, although a little serious for my liking!

Finally, the food. The breakfasts were outstanding, however, the dinner we would have expected more from. Although I was able to have nice meals both nights, the was not any real provision for my diabetic wife, despite being alerted to this before we arrived. The menu was not changed in the two nights we were there, so it may get a little bland after a while. So I think in future I would pay bed and breakfast and eat out.

That being said, it certainly would not put us off returning as we thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this outstandingly beautiful place.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chris S
Dear Guests

We do normally cater well for dietary requests and I'm sorry on this occasion we fell short, with the exception of desserts which by nature can be a little tricky for a diabetic diet, we should have been able to adapt any of the three menus on offer to suit your wife’s needs.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chipping Campden
#5 of 6 in Broadway
The Slaughters Country Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter

Been to Charingworth Manor? Share your experiences!