“Pleasant but overpriced” 3 of 5 bubbles

Charingworth Manor
London, United Kingdom
“Pleasant but overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed for one night to celebrate our anniversary, we were quite looking forward to our stay especially as we had read such excellent reviews, so we decided to book special package to include dinner here as well.

The hotel is set in beautiful countryside which offered picturesque views. While the hotel had character, we felt it lacked some atmosphere - it was almost too quiet so other peoples' conversations could be heard and dinner and in the tea lounge, perhaps some light backing music would have helped.

We had a deluxe room which was pleasant enough and very spacious, although the bed was two beds made-up as one.

We are both keen foodies but we were disappointed with dinner - it was nice enough but not of the standard expected. I had the soup to start, followed by the duck which both needed heavy seasoning - I never usually need to add salt to my meal. My husband had the lamb which was nicer than the duck but quite a light portion.

We both enjoyed the cheese board! and there were a good selection of wines on offer.

Unfortunately the lack of ambience in the restaurant let the evening down. Although the staff were friendly and attentive.
Overall, we felt that the price we paid did not reflect what we would have expected based on staying in different hotels at the same sort of price range.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MDK2013
charingworth, General Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Guests

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on trip advisor and for your for your kind comments about the staff.

I’m sorry you were a little disappointed with the ambience, it is a difficult one, we do have background music in the restaurant at meal times, but have chosen not to in our lounges and bar area as we do find most of our guests prefer it this way so the can relax and unwind.
I have passed your comments about the food onto the chef and am again sorry you were a little disappointed.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel and give us a chance to regain our laurels, so please don’t hesitate to contact me directly if I can help with any future reservations.

Michael David Eastick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

My wife and I wanted a one night stop over in the Cotswolds and booked Charingworth Manor which looked and sounded fantastic on the website and in many reviews on this site.
On arrival, the twisty drive up to the Manor house was a wonderful way to arrive, the views across the hills to our left were incredible. The Manor House up the hill and to our right looked even better. We were very excited and pleased with our choice at this point.
On arrival, I was disappointed by the lack of welcome at the tiny reception. Our room was in the new block and refurbished only 3 years ago, but you wouldn't be able to tell that. The bed was comfortable but the quality of the rest of the furniture was poor. The standard and fittings of bathroom for a £250-a-night room was very disappointing. The best thing about the room was the doors out on to the back garden but this didn't make up for the room itself or the fact we were disturbed overnight by the noise of the extractor fan from next door's bathroom.
Although there is a pool, a terrace and a gym we saw little evidence that the hotel can call itself a 'spa'.
However, the staff in the restaurant and bar were pleasant and helpful and the communal areas of the hotel are elegant and the outside spaces are simply beautiful. I expect the rooms in the main house are considerably more generous and better appointed than the room we spent the night in.

Room Tip: Aim for a room in the main house.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Domenyk
Dear Guests

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on trip advisor, I’m sorry we fell short of your expectations in some areas.

The room you stayed in is one of our most popular rooms as you rightly say for its stunning views and terrace area it does have a more modern decor than some of our other rooms. I’m sorry you were disturbed by the room next door, I have checked the fan today and there does not appear to be any excessive noise. The room itself is in part of the hotel that used to be outbuildings and stables so is over 200 years old but of course new when compared to the original 700 year old Manor House.

We are very careful in all our literature and on our web site to avoid the word “Spa” and do just say that we have a leisure club, including a pool, sauna and steam room as the expectation of guests expecting a Spa can lead to disappointment.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly if I can help further and should you decide to return I’m sure we can offer another room type in the older section which may suit you better

Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Booked the hotel to use a "Tea for Two" voucher. Gentleman by the name of Rick answered the phone, and by the time we'd finished our tea trip turned into a two night stay. Hotel was very easy to find, and on turning into the grounds we thought it looked special. Sarah looked after our arrival, and we were shown to a lovely room, with a four poster bed, over looking the gardens. The views are gorgeous, and the peacefulness has to be experienced to actually appreciate. Our "Tea for Two" consisted of sandwiches, cream tea and a generous selection of cakes. It might have been nice to ask if we would have preferred wholemeal bread, and if there was anything we didn't like, but that's probably nit picking. Used the pool, which was warm. There is a Puddleduck class for toddlers in there, but there is a warning when these are taking place.
Very comfy bed and woke to lovely bird song. Nice welcome for breakfast, array of cereals, fruit, croissant etc and then a nice, but not large, cooked breakfast. We spent the next day exploring the area. Broadway Tower was fascinating, and the views of 13 counties were spectacular. We returned to make use of the pool and wander round the grounds. There is an outdoor Chess set
(which we used) and a tennis court (which we didn't)
Went to the bar to get a drink. Prices are definitely not cheap. £13 for a bottle of beer and a Malibu and coke I consider exhorbitant. I won't even mention the wine list!!!! We booked a table
for our evening meal. Greeted on arrival and shown to our table. We both decided on soup for our starters, and then to be served a complementary different soup, before ours, we considered a little strange. Portions are not large. We brought a side order of potatoes (3 potatoes £3.95!!!) to complement the meal. The dessert was delicious. Tea and coffee extras! Thought this should have been included. Another good nights sleep, nice breakfast before booking out at 11.00 and
heading home. Lovely, peaceful hotel, but rather expensive.

Room Tip: Depends how much you want to pay. We had the four poster Gilbert room. Nice with a four poster with...
2 Thank BootsMidlands
charingworth, General Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Guests

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor we do appreciate when guests take the time to do so. I will share your comments with the team here at the hotel.

I’m sorry you found our pricing to be a bit expensive, are room, menus and bar prices are in line with other 4 star hotels in the area and we do have offers available throughout the year to include overnight accommodation dinner and breakfast from £149.00.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back and if I can help further please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Bristol, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

We went there for afternoon tea with friends to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It was excellent value at £15.95 each with 4 variants of delicious fresh sandwiches, 2 scones, jam & cream, 2 types of cake and profiteroles. The service was attentive and not over fussy. We will certainly go there again and may make a weekend of it.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank NichFS
Dear Guests

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor after your recent afternoon tea, I will share you kind comments with the team here at Charingworth.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back and if I can help with any future reservation please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Wellington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

My wife and I married at Charingworth Manor on 1st April 2013 (not April fool)! The hotel, grounds, staff and rooms are all stunning and it made for a fantastic day. We have stayed here 4 times in total for short breaks and we will not hesitate to go back. The hotel speaks for itself, old, full of character with stunning accom and communal spaces, including leisure. The staff can't do enough for you and took care of our every need for our big day. The food is amazing and they cater for all, especially good for us as we had 14 children and 2 vegetarians among the guest list. All the rooms are individual and very comfortable. Facilities throughout the hotel are clean and of a high standard. We can't rate this hotel high enough, they were truly great at everything, and if you choose to get married here, then I am sure you will have the most amazing day that will go so smoothly thanks to the staff in both the front of house and behind the scenes.

Room Tip: Mind your head if you are anything over 5ft tall!! Low beams everywhere!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
charingworth, General Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Newlyweds

Thank you very much for your kind comments and I will share these with all the staff here at the hotel.

We do hope that we continue to welcome you back on a regular basis and please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can help in any way.

Northants
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

We took a couple of weeks to choose a hotel in the Cotswolds for a 2-night break and finally chose Charingworth Manor. Sooooo glad we did. From the moment we arrived the staff were very attentive. We had booked the Cresswell Suite and we were not disappointed at all - the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was very modern with a claw foot bath. We had afternoon tea outside on the lawn where the views were magnificent. We could not fault the evening meals or breakfasts at all. The weather was superb so sadly we didn't take advantage of the leisure facilities but we are sure to return at some time in the future when, hopefully we can rectify that. All in all a very good choice.

Room Tip: If you don't mind climbing the stairs (not suitable for everyone) then we couldn't fault the...
2 Thank Ratters09
Dear Guests

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor, I will share you kind comments with the team here at Charingworth.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

We had afternoon tea there which waz nice but a bit too classic. The cakes were good though and it's great for the price.
However, the special thing about this place is definitely the location. It's spectacular! Breathtaking views all around. And one must must must visit the nearby village of Chipping Campden which is by far one of the moat beautiful in the Cotswold.
Can't comment on the rooms or the spa as we didn't stay there overnight. But they are meant to be very good.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Guests

Thank you for your comments about your tea, I will share these with the team here at the hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chipping Campden
The Manor House Hotel
The Manor House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Moreton-in-Marsh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,002 reviews

Been to Charingworth Manor? Share your experiences!