“Honeymoon delight.”

Charingworth Manor
New Forest
“Honeymoon delight.”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Aw I've just stumbled across the Manor whilst reviewing the best spa hotels.We stayed here for our 3 night honeymoon in 1989. So wonderful, the property was amazing - mentioned in the doomsday book if I remember correctly. We had no idea which set of cutlery to use for the 7 course dinner and everything was nouvelle cuisine in those days (tiny portions of pretty food). There was no spa and only 7 named rooms i think. We had the four poster with a staircase down to the en-suite. I remember the gardener being very friendly, but the staff were a bit stuffy and we did feel a bit uncomfortable so only dined in once and had breakfast in our room. The surrounding country side and villages were glorious. A real trip down memory lane.... I would love to visit again as a 'grown up' and enjoy the spa experience. Perhaps I 'll take my husband back for his birthday later this year!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
charingworth, General Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on trip advisor.

I would love to take all the credit for your stay back in 1989, but I was not here then, I hope you can see from our many responses on trip advisor that the hotel is still in very good hands with lots of positive comments received.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future and should you like the same room again this time, from your description I believe it to be the Gilbert four poster room.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can help in any way for your husband’s birthday treat later this year and let’s see if we can add some new happy memories to those you already have about the manor.

Michael David Eastick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
warwickshire
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Tea for two at charingforth Manor was a birthday treat from my son.
My husband and I went last sunday, which was a very hot day.
The situation of this hotel is glorious, on top of a hill looking down over the cotswolds.
we started tea in the lounge, but half way trough moved out into the garden to rnjoy the views.
Sandwiches... a choice of egg and cress, smoked salmon, cheese and pickle and ham. you got one of each, small in size but tasty and enjoyable.
scones, cream and jam....two each and lovely. I was struggling at this point and there was still more cake to come, choices of Bakewell tart, Ginger cake, fruit cake..a veritable feast in a lovely situation.
The down stairs had original flag floors and was tastefully decorated. Swimming pool and gym plus tennis courts for sttaying guests.
I really enjoyed the whole experience and will go again.

Dear Guests

Thank you for taking the time to review us on trip advisor, it’s really appreciated when guests do so as it always nice to receive feedback.

I’m happy that you were able to enjoy you afternoon tea in both our comfy lounges and then the terrace are with the stunning views, best of both worlds.

I’m glad to hear that you would like to come back again and if I can help in anyway please don’t hesitate to contact me

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2012

This is the sort of place I wouldn't normally look at as it looks spectacularly pricey and out of my league but my cousin and I decided to try it as there was a special offer and we both needed a break from real life. In fact it was the perfect break from real life and we especially enjoyed the pool and, of course, the food which was superb (I shall remember that broad bean risotto for a long time to come!). The setting is beautiful and a stroll around the grounds is essential.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
charingworth, General Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Dear guests

Thank you for your kind comments and for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor, we always appreciate when guests take the time to do so.

We are glad you enjoyed your break and I will pass on your comments to the team here at the hotel.

Of course please don’t hesitate to contact us in the future if you fancy another short break away from it all, we do have a number of special offers and promotional rates throughout the year which do offer excellent value.

Kind regards

Hants
Reviewed May 19, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our first visit to lovely Charingworth Manor and hope to be able to come again.
The staff were attentive and friendly and the food excellent.

DBE

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
charingworth, General Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this review, May 20, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your comments.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass on your comments to the staff here at the manor.

We do hope to welcome you back in the future and please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can help in any way

Palo Alto, California
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Spent three nights at the hotel. Service is great, and facilities are very nice. We had tea in the lounge next to the fire place after an outing in the wet weather. It certainly feels warm and cozy. The scones are very good, among the top 2 since our arrival in London 2 weeks ago. Dinner was great as well. Tried few of the selections while we were there, the cheese souffle and the duck are our favorate... We asked for a room that have access to the garden, but found out it was close to the main road. Given the weather, we really couldn't have enjoyed going out onto the garden. We would recommend a room overlooking the inner garden AWAY from the road. Traffic is not busy, but once in a while you hear some crazy bikes drove by with their loud exhaust.... Room size is a little small, but its cozy. Overall, it can be a place to enjoy a romantic getaway, or a family trip with your love ones...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
charingworth, General Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Dear Guests

Thank you very much for taking the time to put your comments on Trip Advisor we do always appreciate getting guest feedback.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass your comments onto the team here at the hotel.

It’s nice to hear your comments about the dinner and scones and thank you ranking us in your top 2, you can’t beat a nice scone with jam and clotted cream by a roaring fire (or here’s hoping on the terrace in the beautiful English sunshine)

There is a small lane that passes close to a few of our rooms, this is normally very quiet and am sorry you were disturbed.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future and please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can help in any way

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2012

A splendid place for a break. Comfortable and elegant. The staff are without exception helpful and friendly, and when we mentioned to a waiter at dinner that the menu choice was unchanging, we were rung up in our room with the offer of a supplementary choice.

The one glitch was when the beautiful pool developed a technical fault and had to be closed. The staff did their best to keep us informed, and service was restored after a few hours. They really seemed upset not to be able to offer offer a flawles service.

Room Tip: The room we were in (in the main building) was noisy until the neighbours settled down.
1 Thank Frank B
Dear Guests

I am happy we were able to restore the pool facilities very quickly and we do try our best to keep our guests informed of the situation.

Worcester
Reviewed May 9, 2012

A lovely location for what should have been an enjoyable afternoon treat, but in fact was not up to normal Cotswold's standard, although we had booked well in advance, the hotel had not reserved us a table laid ready. The waiter service was rather 'hit and miss', wrong tea brought, when a complaint was made about soggy scones the message came back from the chef "that is the way they are supposed to be". Other people were heard complaining about the scones.
An underwhelming experience and the bill was also wrong!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank WorcesterWill
charingworth, General Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on trip advisor, it is one the ways in which we can find out where we are going wrong and improve upon our guest service.

I have spoken with the team here at the hotel to try to get to the bottom of the situation, it’s always a little hard without the full facts, guest name and date so please do feel free to contact me directly.

However I do believe on the day you came, we did in fact lay tables in the main lounges for our pre booked afternoon teas, but on this occasion other guests had a preference to sit at one of the tables laid for tea and we don’t like to disturb and move guest but try to work around this, as you can imagine it’s not nice being told you can’t sit there as its laid for someone else. This of course could have been explained to you on the day, but I’m sure we then easily set a table for you without too much delay.

We don’t lay all our tables for tea on a daily basis as with lounges, bar and terrace area this would mean laying for around 50 guests daily, when some days we may only serve one or two tables. It may be after your comments that we consider not laying any tables in advance and just let guests sit at empty tables and then bring the items once guests are seated, but I do think it’s a bit nicer to have a table set in advance.

Of course there should be no excuse for receiving the incorrect tea and bill and I’m sorry that you found the scones to be a little soggy this is the first comment I have had like this and maybe they had just come out of the oven and needed a few more minutes to cook or stand.

I wish you had spoken with me on the day and I was able to resolve any issues, but I would like to have an opportunity to regain our laurels as we do serve a lot of afternoon teas and normally have very good comments.

I am away on holiday for a little while now but please don’t hesitate to contact me on my return or call the hotel and speak with the reception manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chipping Campden
#6 of 6 in Broadway
The Slaughters Country Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter

Been to Charingworth Manor? Share your experiences!