All reviews wetherspoons hotel typical wetherspoons market place busy pub no lift flights of stairs fish and chips saturday afternoon excellent value for money beds were comfortable lovely room first floor large tv night stay tea and coffee making facilities steak car park
Selected filters
Reviewed May 29, 2019

I would not describe this as a hotel. It's very much a pub with some rooms upstairs. The whole set up is focused on the pub, and not the hotel.

Unlike other Wetherspoons hotels I have stayed at, this you have to check in at bar. I waited with people at bar to get checked in, and was then told I had to go to end of bar to check in. After 5 minutes somebody turned up, and said didn't have my booking. After he dissapeared for five minutes, he had found my reservation and said I needed to pay, which I was surprised at as it was a non refundable rate booked online.

The rooms are upstairs and there is no lift, so glad I didn't have any heavy luggage.

I didn't have much confidence that I had only been charged once, and once I got WiFi access, checked my bank account, and indeed I had been charged twice

Normally when something goes wrong due to incompetence of staff and lack of training, I would expect a gesture of goodwill, but nothing was offered. Again I had to wait for 5 minutes for somebody trained on hotel issues to get a refund.

Unlikely to stay at a Wetherspoons again if I have to deal with poorly trained staff.

Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed May 27, 2019

Very good.Great staff couldn’t do enough for you.Lovely room.Very comfortable Excellent food.Although located over the lively pub room was quiet.Easy location to find right in the heart of Doncaster.Highly recommended

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
G5123LSandyh, Manager at The Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2019

Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your visit with us, I am glad to hear you found everything to your liking.

Thanks once again for taking the time to review us, we value feedback as it helps us improve for future, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Red Lion soon.

Reviewed May 7, 2019

Visited Doncaster last Friday with friends and booked into the Red Lion as we were going to the Clam and Cork for lunch on Saturday. The market is just yards from the pub. We were pleasantly surprised, the rooms were clean nicely decorated and the beds were very comfortable. The breakfast was good the following morning and the pub was getting busy with people eating. There is a nice beer garden in the back but unfortunately the weather did not allow us to sit out. If we were in Doncaster overnight again would definitely stay at the hotel again.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends

Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your visit with us, I am glad to hear you were pleased overall.
Hopefully when you stop by next time the weather will be improved enough for you to take advantage of our beer garden.

Reviewed May 7, 2019

Stayed at Wetherspoon hotels before, always found them comfortable, very good value. This Wetherspoon was exceptional, was the amazing staff, a really big thank you to day manager Mark & evening manageress Danielle who were so wonderfully helpful when I mixed booking the wrong dates. This Wetherspoons was so well run, it was so clean upstairs and down all their staff was so friendly, helpful and hardworking. We will defiantly be back, the added bonus is the great location.

Room tip: ask for a lower floor if you stairs are a problem
Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Good Morning,

I'll be sure to pass on your positive feedback to Mark and Danielle.

Reviewed April 17, 2019

We found this pub by accident it was near disabled parking an the Doncaster market I'm so glad we went in found a table people very friendly if you wanted quiet place don't go there it's a lively noisy pub looked at menu which was good choices my son went to order mine had run out so order something else we got drinks an we wait ten minutes an food arrived an wow it was excellent hot well presented very very impressed as it's a Wetherspoon pub best eve r I've been in a recommended this pub we return the following evening an the food an service was excellent despite being very busy the staff deserve a medal keeping tables clean an glasses removed well worth a visit

Date of stay: April 2019