“Not bad not great really.”
Review of Cactus Jacks

Cactus Jacks
Ranked #5 of 549 Restaurants in Doncaster
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Only been to Cactus Jacks restaurant once. I went for my cousin's 20th birthday and in total there were about 10 of us.

I would rate this restaurant average because I was really looking forward to sampling some 'Mexican' food and to be honest, the food they served, we could have had at many other run of the mill places.

I wouldn't say the service was poor, but then again the only time we were offered a round of drinks orders was on arrival...they didn't seem to wander around asking us if we would like to re order any drinks, which I think is a bit rubbish...then again they were very busy.

Some of the items on the menu were misleading (for example we were told the olives were 'fresh' but when they came out they tasted more like the jarred ones) so that made it hard to order, but the actual selection of food was quite good.

The Mexican feel of the restaurant is done quite well, with the themed décor...but one thing I will say is, if you have a large party of say, 8 or more...they don't really seem to have a lot of space so it tends to feel as though they have just squeezed you in.

Gave it 3 out of 5 because it was just average really, and I was excited about going but left feeling indifferent about the place, if you know what I mean.
Also, I am only 21 and I like loud music so if I were with a group of friends I might not have minded but the music was too loud and for a family gathering to be honest because we could hardly hear each other haha!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Me and nine other visited cactus jacks last Saturday and found all staff more than helpful with smiles on their faces which I personally find a refreshing change to most places. Our food was served to us quickly and was delicious, the portion sizes are really big and I couldn't even finish my meal but enjoyed every bite I did have. would highly reccommened!!

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Me and my wife went to cactus jacks as we always do every year as it was the first place i took her when we first met, over the past 4 years ive seen a great change in this place and not for the better, rude staff texting all the time either behind the bar or just out on the floor inbetween serving customers, toilets smell of urine food is either over spicey and ruins the meal or the food is overcooked! The manager is rude too when he asked i everything was ok with our meals i said yes the steak is over cooked and the duck breast is dry he told me that duck is a dry bird and its ment to be dry like aromatic duck, i replied sorry i thought we was in a mexican resteraunt to which he walked away, i shant be returning!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Myself and my husband whent Cactus Jacks on Sat the 21st for my husbands birthday,ordered drinks then our food, husband potatoes skins me corn on the cob,few mins later it arrived bit amazed how fast it came out and on the table,the butter was nice not to hard to put on my NOT hot corn on the cob it would'nt even melt the all ready soft butter took a bite and the cob was barely warm, sent it back and waited till my husband and finnished his starter.
I orded the ribs baked potato my husband Cajan Chicken,my potato was so well done on the out side very dark brown to black, the in side not the fluffy white potato you would expect but pale brow and hard that went back,
My husband had Cajin the sause was so HOT and over powering you could not eat it, we asked the waitress who was very nice to come over and expained everything to her up to that point and could we hqve a word with the manager who was at the bar watching was was going off, the waitress whent to him and she came back and said he was busy doing the wages, shocked at this Sat night behind the bar in front of customers.
doing the staffs wages OMG
My husband waved him to come over he was'nt pleased you could see that on his face the two waitress who were stood there didt'nt know what to say or do,the manager stood there as if he did'nt care less, I tried to expain what had gone off with the food him but he kept butting in when he could my husband expained about his dish when the manager said im am going to defend my food that dish as been the same same for 16 years wow that long my husband expained the sauce over powering the chicken the manager still saying it was ok I said we are the customer he said and I am defending my restaurant wow how RUDE
I said fine he stomed off not taking our feelings into account walked away like a spoilt child we got up and walked out.
My I say we went here 2 years ago and I had ribs which was hot on the out side and cold inside I beleave in second chances but never again.
I would sooner wait for my food to be cooked fresh and be told this, then stuck in a microwave and be over cooked or not cooked.
This restaurent used to be the bees knees talk of the town, used to love to go here, but we have a lots of very good upto date restaurants in Doncaster now and everyone wants your custom so you have to up your game you have to have good food,service,good surroundings,and value. sorry Cactus Jacks wake up and smell the coffee you are in a great postion shame about your attitude

1  Thank 154Gail
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Fab staff - so friendly and helpful - food is to die for - excellent choice - really quality tex / mex food always piping hot, and extremely tasty! Would recommend you pay this restaurant a visit whenever you find yourself in Donny!