“A little hit and miss”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Been plenty of times and had a variety of meals, ranging from fajitas to steak. We used to frequently go here with friends for birthdays and cant say I've ever been disappointed. The food has always been "OK". It's not overly priced for what you get. Portions are "OK".
On recent occasions I have not been overly impressed by the reheated meals, even if it was a quiet Wednesday evening, I still think if your paying for a meal it should all be fresh! And service is lacking a little nowadays. Nachos are a lot smaller portion then I remember them being. But the T-bone steak was superb! Cooked to perfection. However I'm not entirely sure that says much for the only Mexican in Doncaster. It's all very much "OK" but as for an outstanding Mexican....this place has far to go.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Friends and family had been for a meal here, and thought we'd give it a "go". Service was very quick, despite the restaurant being busy, and the staff were very obliging and efficient. The food was excellent and reasonably priced (I can see why my daughter and her boyfriend go regularly!). The menu is varied and there's lots to try, so am looking forward to our next visit. Overall, very pleased with the experience.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have been visiting this restaurant for about 10 years now, and unlike many restaurants I have eaten at, the food has been consistently good quality for all of that time. the menu is a good selection of Tex-Mex foods, containing all the usual fare from both sides of the border; Steaks, ribs, Wings, Chicken, Burgers, Chilli, Fajitas, Enchiladas, Burritos, Quesidellas etc. There is a large range to choose from for starters, mains and desserts, with plenty of sides, sauces and other little extras to go with the meal. the food is usually served quickly, even at weekends, when the restaurant can often be busy enough to have people waiting at the bar for a table. There is also a good range of drinks, draft and bottle beers, soft drinks, wine and cocktails. One of the trademarks of Cactus Jack's has always been the frozen glasses that their draft beer is served in - there's nothing as refreshing as a Ice Cold Budweiser in a frozen glass, with ice crystals floating on the top!
The decor and ambience of Cactus Jacks is one of it's popular elements, western style log built ranch style decoration with lots of replica period items on the wall, which is accompanied by Country music and western movies playing on TV screens on the wall. It makes for a full experience.
My latest visit last night saw no break from the usual standard, even though the restaurant seems to be under new management since we last ate there. Myself and my wife had a starter, main and a couple of drinks each plus a couple of side items for a total of just over £40. The starter was served within 10 minutes of being ordered, and the main courses almost as soon as the starters were taken away. The meals were well cooked and, as has always been the case, the main courses were HUGE. Whenever I've eaten here, it's always been a struggle to empty the plate.... It was an enjoyable evening, and the only negative was the fact that the restaurant was a little cold, even though we weren't sat too close to the very large front window.

1  Thank Mick M
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Had read on this site about the best ribs ever, so being a fan of ribs I had to give it a go.... How dissapointed I was !!!!

Firstly the ambience is reasonable.... Got put in a prison cell and service was relatively quick to take our drinks order.

We ordered our meal and our starters arrived promptly ... Mind you there was a reason for this ... The portions were non existent and very bland ... £4.95 for 2 small potato skins or the same price for 3 chicken wings drizzled in jack Daniels sauce... These were bland and tasteless, in fact I would go as far as to say they were disgusting...

Our main meal arrived ... Well 5 out 6 did.... Only to be told by a snotty nosed brat of a waitress that we had only ordered 5 meals ..... Really !!!!

Now we had 3 waiters / waitresses during our short stay - 2 of which we polite and couldn't do enough for our group ... The third had the personality of a porcupine and subsequently conspired to mess up the drinks order as well.

So the main meals arrived - all of them eventually !!! I did wonder if the last of the meals had come straight from the microwave.

The chicken dishes and burgers were described as ok, mean while the ribs were decidedly average and quite bland.... The best ever tasted ? Not even the best in Doncaster, as just round the corner, you can get a better meal at Relish... I would go as far to say TGIs produce a tastier rack of ribs...

So not the best dining experience and I won't be troubling Cactus Jacks again ...

If you want ribs .... Go to relish

If you want to be disappointed .... Try Cactus Jacks !!!!

1  Thank Dave C
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Party of 8 went on a friday evening, was busy but service was good and food was lovely. would go again.