Holiday Inn Express Doncaster
$68
  • Restaurant
$46
Travelodge
All reviewsstayed herebeanshi expresscomplimentary breakfastpetrol stationpub restaurantcar parkan industrial estatesofa bedsat navfree wificlean hotelgood sizereception staffself servicethe breakfast areacouple of nights
Reviewed July 2, 2013

After a less than satisfactory stay at another 3-star hotel the two previous nights and a three hour drive to this location, I wasn't enthused at the thought of another chain hotel. Whether this counts towards my joy upon arrival I know not. All I know is I entered a clean, spacious lobby and checked in with a friendly guy. Got the lift up to our *Hallelujah* SMOKING ROOM! Which didn't smell bad at all and had a couple of comforting cigarette burns, on in the carpet and one on the sofa. Made me feel at home. Bed was fresh and comfy, with one soft pillow (my partner's preference) and one firm one (just how I like it). It was as if they knew! The bathroom was sparkling and I really appreciated the Dove handwash, so much better than the plasticky 'guest soaps' you get at some hotels. The shower was pleasingly generic and didn't need adjusting and the built-in shower cream smelled good. Two ashtrays in the room was very considerate as we could have one either side of the bed. After two previous nights freezing our bums off downstairs/outside it was great.

Down to the bar for a beer and then some food, the choice was small but the curry I had was fine and I was told the burger was too. The man at the bar was happy and up for a chat, and recommended their special drink, vodka and raspberry liqueur topped up with lemonade, which we took back to our room. The lady who was serving at the bar a few hours later was equally lovely and gave me a packet of biscuits with my next round of drinks. The bar stayed open until 3 which was awesome compared to the previous hotel's bar closing at half 9 :(

I cannot go further without singing the praises of something which is not seen enough in hotels: the Ice Machine. I love ice, cold drinks just aren't the same without it, and one cup scrounged from the bar soon melts. Free ice whenever you want is amazing and underrated.

The next morning my partner checked out to go to work but I stayed in our room and watched a couple of movies from the decent selection on the small but functional TV. The free newspapers in the lobby was nice as well. Overall a great branch of the chain, and I look forward to staying in more.

Room Tip: If you are a smoker their smoking rooms are a rare and welcome addition to an otherwise smoking-ban enslaved Britain.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Denise1970, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Doncaster, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

WOW... thank you so much for leaving such a great review of your stay, the friendly chap was called Steve and I will be passing your comments on to him as well as Cath the lady on nights who also served you.
It is so pleasant to read that we were a breath of fresh air after your previous couple of nights and thanks for acknowledging our status as a 3 star Hotel.
Yes after being open for nearly 7 years the small signs are there like the odd cigarette burn but we do try and rectify these things as we go along, but are glad it made you feel like we were a home from home.

Once again thank you for your time and we look forward to welcoming you on your next stay in Doncaster.

Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Seriously, £70 per night for a room in Doncaster for a 2 star hotel? The rooms are small but clean, no bath, and minimal tv channels!!!!! I would say this hotel is worth no more than £45 per night and anything more is greed on their part which is a shame. There's lots of choice locally and I vary where I stay when I'm up north on business every month - for the same price you can get another hotel with free in room wifi and more tv channels if you are travelling alone and want some background company! I've actually stayed at the Rotherham branch previously when the rates have been lower than Doncaster - I would rather travel an extra ten or fifteen minutes and use the fuel than pay this much for a mediocre hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013

Hi and thank you for taking time to leave feedback on your stay. We are having the TV's replaced by the end of the year. Most Express hotels do not have a bath and only offer shower facilities.

Rotherham Express is managed by the same company as ours which is why you will find both hotels clean and comfortable. The rates are based on demand in the area so do fluctuate on a daily basis, and this will explain the difference in prices you experience.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I Stayed at the hotel one night for business purposes but was impressed with the comfort of the rooms and proximity to the City Centre. The beds were extremely comfortable and the accommodation very roomy and spotlessly clean . With happy hour in the hotel bar during early evening it was a pleasant place to spend an hour before going into Doncaster for a meal . Excellent value for money.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Denise1970, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Doncaster, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Hello
Thank you for leaving such a great review of our Hotel, we really appreciate you taking your own time to do this.
As you say the town centre is not far but we also do evening meals in the hotel, maybe on your next visit you can give these a try.
We look forward we welcoming you on your next stay in Doncaster.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel is clean and comfortable. I won't share my room 'mix up' as this would only digress from an otherwise comfortable display, but it is the reason for the service mark I have given. I have stayed here before and the service has been good. The internet is decidedly dodgy however and if you want to use it free in the lounge - good luck! I just couldn't get a connection.
I would comment that the hotel is in a somewhat difficult location to get to and SATNAV's aren't much help because the roads have all been re-routed and you will end up at the garage next door if your rely on this. My tip is to follow your nose once you sight the hotel which you will easily do from the access road.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Denise1970, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Doncaster, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Hello
Thank you for taking time to leave feedback on our Hotel, we have recently had an upgrade to the internet system which has initially caused problems but is now settling down and is used daily without issues.
As you mention the local roadworks are making improvements to the area the only draw back being that SAT NAV systems will be out of date, we do advise on the website to follow the written instructions rather than rely on SAT NAV but as you mention it is quite easy to spot from the in bound road coming off the M18.
Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you again on your next stay in Doncaster.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed here for the night as our kitchen was being refitted and we wanted a night away from all the mess.

We booked via last minute com, and got a really good deal for a double room with breakfast buffet included for £44.50.

The hotel is located 1-2 miles from Doncaster city center, on a trading estate. There is a pub in the opposite carpark which is reasonably priced for a meal with large portions. Onsite hotel parking is also provided for free.
The hotel foyer is very modern open and airy. There is seating at tables as well as on sofas. They have a small bar, and open plan seating for breakfast. The reception staff/bar staff were lovely. Our room (102) had a double bed with sofa bed.The room was no where near as modern as the foyer, but was adequate with plenty of room and ultra clean. The shower room was lovely, fresh modern and spotlessly clean. There was plenty of sink space with a lovely large mirror. It had a walk in shower (no bath) and a toilet. There were also plenty of towels provided as well as soap and shower gel dispensers. There were tv facilities in the room in the form of a large old style portable tv. It worked fine with the remote.

There were tea & coffee making facilities and a hairdryer. Our room was at the back and very quiet. It overlooked the roof area and some open fields, so that was nice. The window also opened, which makes a change so we could get some fresh air.

Although its on a trading estate, its mostly surrounded by offices and places like B& Q as well as a petrol station and a large Morrisons. It was very quiet for a Saturday and we had the wondow open. There is also another pub (Beefeater) about 10-15 mins walk away, at the Lakeside shopping centre by Keepmoat stadium, with a MacDonalds and Pizza hut.

The self service breakfast buffet was more then adequate, with fruit juices, tea & coffee available. The majority of food was cold, as in cereals, rolls, croissants, fruit, yoghurt, etc. You could however make your own toast, and there was a small selection of scrambled eggs, sausage & beans. There was ample food, so nobody should have to leave on an empty stomach.

We had a very nice quiet stay and would definitely go here again ;-)

Room Tip: 102 is at the back and is quiet
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Denise1970, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Doncaster, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Hello Funkythreads2004

Thank you for leaving such a great review of our Hotel, so much detail too, we really appreciate your time on this.
The old TV's will be replaced by the end of the year and bring the rooms back in line with the rest of the Hotel, which is 7 years old but still quite modern.
We also have a menu available in the hotel that you may be interested to try on your next visit.

We hope your kitchen is looking fabulous :) and we look forward to welcoming you to the Hotel on your next stay.