“"Would definately return"”

Grand St Leger Hotel
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Doncaster
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We booked this hotel as it was very close to the racecourse and I must say we were not disappointed. The staff were friendly and helpful. Our rooms upgraded at no extra cost. Breakfast good, they did not scrip on the portion sizes. We also had our evening meal at the hotel and the food was good and the price very reasonable.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Mark L, Manager at Grand St Leger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review following your stay at the Grand St Leger Hotel. I was of course delighted to read that you would return and stay with us again, and your comments about the food and staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here en route to Harrogate. Parking a bit tight. Staff friendly and helpful. Room was okay for price but probably in need of a bit of a revamp. Went to Frankie and Benny's for breakfast just a few minutes drive.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joanna M

Dear Joanna

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I was pleased to learn that you felt we offered good value for money and that the staff were both friendly and helpful. In terms of your comments about the room needing a revamp, we are currently part way through decorating all of the bedrooms.

I hope should you find yourself needing accommodation in Doncaster in the future that you will consider staying with us again.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

On arrival getting in the carpark was a tight squeeze very narrow in a van.
The receptionist was friendly told me all I need to know, the room is spacious and clean, nice big shower room with a good shower. The bed is comfortable but the under sheets could have done with an iron. Wifi was excellent.
The evening meal was good with a small choice on the menu and at a good price.
Breakfast was okay not much choice on the cearal front though.
The only other let down was the view from the windows see photo.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear Andrew

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I was of course delighted to read your positive comments in relation to your room, the restaurant and the receptionist.

In terms of the view from your room-we are currently in the early stages of developing the hotel, full details can be found in the New Development section of our website, and as a result the area to the rear of the hotel is not as tidy as we would like it to be whilst this work is ongoing, However, upon completion of the work the area will be completely transformed.

I do hope that you will return to the hotel at some point in the future.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

the hotel was really good.staff very friendly.not too expensive room clean &tidy.the batroom & bedrooms were spotlessly clean.breakfast was a menu,you could help yourself to seial & juices.
aA very pleasant experience.i will stop there again if I go to another race meeting-----david skipsey

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank butty_12

Dear David

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I was of course delighted to read such positive comments and to learn that you enjoyed your stay so much, we all work extremely hard to ensure all of our guests have a positive experience when staying at the Grand St Leger.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

I stayed recently at the St Ledger for work in Doncaster.

Firstly the positive, the ladies at reception were delightful, helpful and personable. They organised an upgrade to a large room on the 1st floor. The room was fine, large TV with lots of space. The bed was also more than adequate. Good value for the price paid.

The problems come with the main public areas and the food. The bar despite being open 24/7 for residents was like something from the 1970's and the service in the evenings was pretty lazy at best- you had to go on the hunt for a member of staff. There was also a bad smell to the reception and bar area making it a less than pleasant place to spend an evening.

I had breakfast included in my room and ate there on only one occasion. It gives me no pleasure to write this, but it was the worst hotel breakfast i have eaten. This was followed up with room service of a tuna sandwich which was fine, except it contained something that nearly chipped my foot- I'm sure it wasn't but it looked like a filling from a tooth. They did apologise and refund it, but it put me off eating there again.

With a bit of TLC and some better staff (the bar and waiting staff were friendly but not professional- the night porter could not even cut a new key for me) this hotel could be lovely. The restaurant and bar need a radical overhaul and a new chef.

Yet i stress again that my room presented good value, i would stay again on the rate I was given…I just would spend no time in the public areas.

A short stay here on business presents reasonable value for money all in all.

Room Tip: 1st floor facing away from the road.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear Mr Whatley

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read your comments in relation to the reception team, the standard of accommodation and value for money, but I was of course disappointed that we did not meet your expectations in terms of service and food. Following customer feedback, we have addressed customer service training and employed a new breakfast chef.

I do hope that you will consider staying with us again if you find yourself needing accommodation in the area in the future.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

We visited the racecourse and stayed at this lovely hotel. Brilliant location after our day at the races. The hotel was lovely. All the staff were very friendly. The room was spacious and so comfortable. Well the money and we would definitely stay here again !!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Dawn,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I was of course delighted to read your comments, and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the future. If you're a keen race-goer, why not check out the racing packages on our website?

General Manager.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

I travel with my job and spend three nights every week in hotels all of the UK and have to say I have found The Grand St Ledger brilliant. The staff are very accommodating and I was thrilled to discover that when I asked whether the chef could make me a gluten free pizza, that was what I got, freshly made to order and totally delicious. Nothing is too much trouble in this hotel, the breakfast, room and free wifi are all bonuses that made my business stay comfortable. I will certainly recommend this hotel to my company as the location and service offered are perfect for conference facilities. I will definitely come back here on my next business trip.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Lucy T
Mark L, General Manager at Grand St Leger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Dear Lucy

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We work hard to ensure we meet the needs of all our guests, so I was delighted to read your comments.

I will pass on your sentiments to Daniel, our pizza chef and the rest of the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future, and if you have any further special requirements, or would like more information on our conference facilities, then please do not hesitate to contact myself, or one of the team and we will be happy to assist you.