“Our Pleasant Stay At The St Ledger Hotel Doncaster”

Grand St Leger Hotel
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Doncaster
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stayed one night on 1st of March 2014

very pleasant stay, room and bathroom spotless, cozy and warm and the staff were all accommodating. We will certainly be going back to stay at this hotel when we next go to the races. Many thanks to all St Ledger Staff for their kindness.

Jan and Keith

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark L, General Manager at Grand St Leger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Dear Jan and Keith

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your recent review.

We work hard to ensure that we offer a high standard of accommodation combined with excellent customer service, so I was of course delighted to read that you felt we delivered on both these points.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to the racecourse.

Kind Regards

Mark Lawton

Reviewed March 1, 2014

I had a meal with my partner and friends in Feb 2014... The NEW MENU was fantastic, homemade quality food and great value! I would recommend the hotel and restaurant! I have read a couple of not so great reviews and can assure you they are not correct! Thank you to all the staff :)

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Gsmith444

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit to our restaurant.

I was delighted to read such positive comments regarding the food and the new menu. We have a diverse range of customers with varying tastes utilising our restaurant and our new Head Chef has worked hard to come up with a menu which we hope offers something for everyone.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards

Mark Lawton

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Originally being from Doncaster but never setting foot inside the Grand st leger hotel I was looking forward to staying there , I stayed there on the 15th Feb this year. I was pleased to get it cheaper than a premier inn etc. I am not picky but I have to say I was underwhelmed, the room was ok and the bed was comfortable but I had been out for the night into town so was drunk when I slept in the bed, but I am sure it would of been equally as comfortable if I had been sober. There were a few cobwebs around the light fittings but other than this the room was clean and warm. Sadly the bathroom was freezing, the shower wasn't the best either. I am not a tall man but I had to bob down in order to get my head under the shower and the pressure was a bit poor. I think the room I stayed in could do with a bit of an update but then I can see why it was under £50. Having said all that I would stay here again as the location is ideal and the free carparking is a bonus.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I stayed in the St Leger on 15 February as part of their Valentines package which included a four course candlelit meal for two, a room for the night and breakfast the following morning.

Both meals were perfect. For our evening sitting we were welcomed to a well set table complete with rose petals and a personalised name place. The whole room provided a warm yet intimate setting for the occasion. All the staff were attentive, courteous and provided an excellent service. A fantastic menu had been put together and the food was incredible, a definite highlight was the rack of lamb which was cooked to perfection.

Similarly, breakfast maintained the same consistently high standard with excellent service from lovely staff and a diverse and tasty Full English Breakfast. There was also a fantastic selection of Continental breakfast items.

Unfortunately, the only aspect of the Valentines weekend which let the hotel down was the room. We were placed in one of the top floor attic rooms which meant that we were greeted by a very tired room with a three-quarter size bed with little space to manoeuvre and leave luggage. Also the bathroom had not been thought out in terms of layout. The toilet was placed next to the wall with no space in between, and the glass shelf above the sink had been installed centimetres above the tap making it difficult to turn on. Additionally, there was very little power to the shower.

Based on the restaurant service alone the Leger deserves 4/5 as this was exceptional! Both my Fiance and I had a wonderful Valentine's weekend, and we will definitely be staying again (probably for the great value package.)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2014

For the last couple of years I have been staying here on a regular basis at least once a month. Whether on my own for business, or as a couple for leisure, I have always found the staff to be extremely helpful and friendly and the rooms to be of a very good standard. The breakfasts are excellent, although I've never dined in the restaurant in the evenings as we always tend to be travelling around and eating out. The place is always clean, warm and well presented. I was particularly pleased last week when I was given a free upgrade to a Deluxe room with a huge & highly comfortable bed, jacuzzi corner bath and luxurious finishings.
I have stayed in other hotels in the area previously, but find this one to be the most reasonably priced and very conveniently located for reaching the racecourse, Doncaster town centre, Bawtry and the motorway network etc.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

We booked a racing package, which was £80 each - this included an executive room, tickets for the premiere enclosure in the Lazarus suite, three course dinner and full english breakfast. This was well worth the money. We arrived at 10.30am and wanted to get changed before the races - to my delight the room was available at that time. A nice big room on the front of the hotel (105) we could see the grandstand from the window!
A couple of nit picking points, the shower power was pitiful and it was difficult to switch the basin tap on underneath the glass shelf, the widow surround had seen better days with weeds on the windowsill. But that said the room was warm, clean and well located, we slept well.
The race tickets were better than we expected, we has a fantastic view of the finishing post.
When we went for our meal at 7pm we were the only people in the hotel restaurant,and I wish it had looked like it does on the publicity photos. It was too bright and needs decorating, old patterned carpets and fittings a few Xmas table decorations lined up on the side and no atmosphere. The music was also very depressing. A few tea lights or fairy lights might have lifted the place.

Having said that the young lady serving us was bright and bubbly, we had decent starters but were informed there was no sirloin or rump steak ( I had the fillet which was beautiful) my husband asked for chicken in Parma ham and there was no Parma ham, (they improvised with bacon) then another couple came in and asked for chicken and there was no chicken.! The waitress was very apologetic but it was not the cosy, romantic birthday meal we had hoped for.
The dining room was again deserted at breakfast, I was surprised as it is the closest hotel to the racecourse, but staff were attentive and breakfast was well cooked and tasty.
I would stay here again for the races, but prbably eat elsewhere for choice and atmosphere, it was a Sunday night maybe that's why it was so 'dead,.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed here for ! night. Excellent location as the hotel is located directly opposite the Racecourse. Staff were very friendly. We arrived early, around 9.30am due to the races starting early and our rooms were ready for us around 10.00am. Berakfast had plenty choice with juice, coffee/tea, fresh fruit etc together with a menu for cooked food. Very good value for money. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: Hotel bar can be a bit noisy during race days.