“Stayed at The Angel for 3 nights..”
Review of Angel Inn & Lodge

Angel Inn & Lodge
Ranked #2 of 23 Doncaster B&B and Inns
Verwood, United Kingdom
“Stayed at The Angel for 3 nights..”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Thanks to Tripadvisor, found theangel (Fabulous pub with rooms) as an alternative to the usual travel lodge.
What a find!
Sadly My partner and I were travelling for a family funeral, though as she is originally from Doncaster, decided to stay a couple of days to catch up with family.
The room was comfortable and clean, and ideal for a smoker like me as they are in an annexe each has it's own front door, so you can pop out for a ciggie whenever you like.
Breakfast was tasty & well presented with a good choice of cereal ,OJ, cooked or continental stylie, the miniature pots of jam (Made next door) were delicious.(note to Simone, you are missing a trick here, fullsized pots should be for sale.at a premium price)

We ate in the pub on two evenings, Haddock and "twice cooked chunky chips" the first time, I had the game casserole on a bed of thyme mash on the second evening. Gorgeous food and there was no problem coping with my allergy (Peanut) The Angel was very busy on the Saturday evening, so probably worth booking.

Wine was reasonably priced, though I was disappointed!! by the lack of local ales. John smiths, something from Scotland and a Hop-back beer (They're just up the road from me) ..OK I'm a fussy git.
Overall a very pleasant experience.
Simone, You work far too hard!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
The Isle of Axholme
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We have been occasional patrons of the Angel for some time and always thought it better than the average. We called twice recently, once good and once (on a Sunday afternoon) really poor, badly cooked food, really slow service - it took three hours to be served with three courses, a bit of a disaster really.

At the time the waiting staff suggested that there were problems in the kitchen. I have had an exchange of emails with the owners and received an apology and an offer of 20% of the food bill on our next visit.... My suggestion that 20% off the food on the bill in question has been ignored......

I'd like to think that this day was a one off but I am disappointed at the response from the owners.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Simone F, Owner at Angel Inn & Lodge, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, all reviews are appreciated. As per our e-mail conversation, had you mentioned your issues at the time, we could have acted upon them there and then and then been able to improve your experience. Unfortunately, due to illness, I was unable to read my e-mail which you sent to me requesting a refund until a few days later, at which stage I also received notification of this disappointing review. I feel, now that you have taken such action, that a refund would seem to be inappropriate. We have taken on board the comments that you made in your e-mails and would still be pleased to invite you back with our original offer to re-affirm your confidence in the Angel Inn.
doncaster
Reviewed October 23, 2012

me and my family came here for my dads 50th and it was brilliant, the food was absolutely amazing and very good value as well, the staff were really welcoming and catered to our every need, especially when u have two food allergies in ur family.we will definitely come here again. recommended for any one who wants a fantastic meal and good company and time out.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thanks very much for writing a review. I'm delighted you enjoyed your meal. As you know, we prepare everything from scratch, so we are able to accommodate dietary requirements. The majority of dishes on our menu are gluten free, and many can be adapted to fit in with other needs. I hope we have the pleasure of your company again soon. Many thanks, Simone
doncaster
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We have been to the Angel Inn on a few occasions and its always been very good.
A warm and friendly welcome and good selection of real ales.
We had a one course Sunday lunch which was fabulous,every thing was cooked to perfection and arrived on warm plates.
Although the food was wonderful for £10 two slices of the beautiful beef would of been most acceptable.
Hope to see you again soon

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I'm so glad you enjoyed your meal, particularly our 30 day dry-aged beef. We have started offering the option to 'add a slice' of beef on a Sunday for those who particularly enjoy it, and there is always a scrumptious dessert list to tempt you if you still have a tad more space. I hope to see you again soon.
Simone
West Mids
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I booked the Angel after reading reviews on Tripadvisor as we were visiting the South Yorkshire Air Museum and The Vulcan at Doncaster Airport over the weekend.
We were not disappointed. The accomodation is separate at the rear of the pub. Purpose built, very cosy and comfortable. We ate in the restaurant both nights, the food was glorious, the wine list entensive. The real ales were a joy to my husband, the atmosphere in the pub was very welcoming, as were the locals. The breakfasts were just wonderful, and most of all Simone and the staff could not do enough to make our stay a great one. Will definately stay again and thoroughly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review us, it's really appreciated. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay here, and that you had a great weekend - I must admit I am envious of the Vulcan tour, but I'm sure I'll get around to it one day. I hope you had a safe journey home, and I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The Angel Inn is small and unpretentious. You eat in the pub/restaurant, you sleep in the modern chalets behind the Inn. For us, it represented a return to good old-fashioned values. A very welcoming host, excellent food and atmosphere in the pub [especially if you like people singing along to old Neil Diamond tunes], a very comfortable bed in immaculate accommodation. It's an ideal base for a holiday or overnight business trip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Simone F, Owner at Angel Inn & Lodge, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
I''m really pleased you enjoyed your stay, thanks for taking the time to review us. We're very lucky to have such good 'locals'.( Choir Practice ie the local's singing along to the juke box on Sundays, is certainly something I have never experienced anywhere else) and they certainly are friendly. I hope we get the chance to welcome you again.
Kind regards
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Just home after amazing meal at Angel. Booked last minute - half hour prior to arriving there, random choice from local hostelries. Good call, fab food, hot, fresh and plenty of it at good prices too. Locally sourced produce all so delicious can now hardly move! Staff so friendly and welcoming. Surroundings lovely and felt like we were in someone's home. We will certainly go again. Recommended to all.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the lovely review. It's great to hear you enjoyed yourself and that the food, service and atmosphere were all good. I really hope to see you again, and welcome you back into my front room. Kind regards.