“Excellent staff and service”

Holiday Inn Doncaster A1(M), Jct. 36
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Doncaster
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We checked in on Saturday 16th March as a couples break to be told there was no booking, which had us worried, but we needn't have been. Thankfully, the very patient receptionist traced it to my mobile phone number as the address on the booking was also incorrect, as was the date for our booking (apparently, we weren't due until the end of April!). She was very apologetic and polite; we didn't even get annoyed as she handled it so well. All is well that ends well though, these things happen and we are only human. We were given an Executive room (410), which was lovely and very quiet. Fluffy bath robes, choice of firm or soft pillows, complimentary water, the bathroom was clean & spacious. Our package included dinner (worth £23 each) and breakfast, we both had steaks and starters which were delicious and we had drinks on top, so very good value for money to what we added on top. The dinner service was prompt but not rushed and the waitresses made me laugh which was lovely considering how busy they were on a Saturday night. The bar was busy, but again lovely service (just over £7 I think for a pint and a spirit mixer, usual prices for a hotel really). Breakfast was tasty and plentiful (full english, fresh fruit platters, cereals, cold cuts and cheeses, pastries...you name it! Definitely something for everyone) and served until 10.30 on a Sunday so it was nice not to have to rush in the morning. We wanted to try the gym & pool but didn't get the chance unfortunately, but we would be sure to choose this hotel again when we stay in this area. The parking was free, onsite and secure and even though there was a wedding function that night, we didn't hear a thing or feel as though it took over the hotel. As a former tour guide, I have stayed in endless hotels in the UK & on the continent so I have had plenty of experience to compare this hotel to. The service here could be an example to all and the fact that it has some casual Northern charm adds to its appeal as one of the less stuffy and formal hotels. We would definitely stay here again and would like to thank the staff for their exemplary attitudes and excellent treatment of customers.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SASTraveller1976
HIDoncaster, General Manager at Holiday Inn Doncaster A1(M), Jct. 36, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear SAS Sheffield,

Thank you ever so much for taking time to post your feedback onto trip advisor, I was delighted to read your kind comments made about the overall hotel, guest experience in particular the service you received from my reception team. I will make sure your feedback is shared with all of my team at the Holiday Inn Doncaster.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We did have a few problems when checking in but managed to speak with Paul the manager and he sorted out everything very professionally and prompt.

This hotel has a great swimming pool and gym.

Overall this hotel is good value for money.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
HIDoncaster, General Manager at Holiday Inn Doncaster A1(M), Jct. 36, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Lad1234,

Thank you ever so much for taking time to post your feedback onto trip advisor , following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you had a really enjoyable stay and that you felt it was good value for money. I will make sure your kind comments are shared with all of my team in particular Paul Kelly .

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed here at the beginning of March for a wedding, as the evening 'do' was here thought it made sense to stay as we do not live nearby. Booked online and paid in advance which got the room for cheaper, booked a king size room as it was the same price as a double.

Upon entering, we nearly missed the entrance as it is that close to the A1. However, although we were close we not hear any traffic in the room. Upon arrival, we had to get to the church so informed reception that we had arrived and were leaving the car in the car park and that was fine. When we got back and checked in, we were told we were in room 406, and to get there we had to go downstairs, along a corridor and back upstairs. Turns out we were going underneath the road! When we got to our room, on the door it stated this was an 'executive room', and seemed much bigger than I expected.

The bed was a decent size, and very comfortable. There was also a wicker chair, and another 'office type' chair that was in front of the dressing table with a huge mirror! The bathroom was clean, and had the usual soap, but also had shower gel, shampoo, shower cap, sewing kit, and shoe shine! It all seemed to be luxury stuff and the soap was very moisturising.

The bar prices were a bit more than normal pub prices, bottles were a lot more expensive so we stuck to either coke or lager on tap.

Breakfast the next morning was fantastic, so much choice! There was bacon, sausages, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, black pudding, beans and tomatoes. For the healthier option, there was plenty of fruit and yogurts. Also there was the continental option of pastries, cold meats and cheese. We really were spoilt for choice!

This really is one of the better Holiday Inn's around

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
HIDoncaster, General Manager at Holiday Inn Doncaster A1(M), Jct. 36, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear Sparklygem,

Thank you ever so much for taking time to post your feedback, following your recent stay at the hotel for a Wedding Reception. I was delighted to read your kind comments made about hotel in particular the Food, Service and the quality of your bedroom. I will make sure your comments are shared with all of my team at the Holiday Inn Doncaster.

We look forward to personally welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Booked this hotel on the internet and were guaranteed best prices if you booked directly with the hotel which we did - and they were! The room was clean and fresh and we had a king size bed which was lovely. The only point to raise was that there were a shortage of electical sockets. If you had your laptop plugged in you couldn't plug in the kettle! The breakfast was totally self service but was fine. The only gripe was that the scrambled eggs had been under a hot lamp for a while and they were a bit rubbery. We could have asked for freshly cooked eggs though. There were not a lot of guests so we had a nice relaxed breakfast. Didn't try out the pool though as we had mistakenly thought you had to go outside the hotel to reach it - didn't relish having to get dressed first thing and then into your swimming costume and then get dressed again to get back to our room. If we had asked the receptionist though she would have told us that guests can reach the pool from the inside - so our fault really! Would definitely stay there again if we are travelling that way.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear TeenyBognorRegis,

Thank you ever so much for taking time to post your feedback onto trip advisor, following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read your kind comments made about the overall guest experience in particular the fantastic facilities we have to offer all of our guests at the Holiday Inn Doncaster . I have passed your constructive comments to my Head Chef, regarding the scrambled egg.

We look forward to personally welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

I don't often write reviews for hotels that I stay in for work but I felt compelled to write a positive review for the Holiday Inn, Doncaster.

I was staying here with a large group of colleagues for a week. From the moment I checked in nothing was too much trouble.

Special mention must go to a young girl called Amy who works in the restaurant that dealt with our party in a very efficient, professional & most of all friendly manner - definately a contender for employee of the month.

Very friendly reception staff who were really on the ball, lovely well appointed room and tasty food.

This is a hotel run by a very switched on manager. Well done.

• Stayed: March 2013
HIDoncaster, General Manager at Holiday Inn Doncaster A1(M), Jct. 36, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear InvernessMatt1971,

Thank you ever so much for taking time to post your feedback onto trip advisor, following your recent stay at the Hotel. I was delighted to read your kind comments made about the overall guest experience, but in particular the exceptional service given by reception team and Amy in my restaurant. I will make sure that your kind comments are shared with all of my team at the hotel.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I am a frequent user of the chain and picked this one as a halfway route to my end destination. It's a bit of a rat run and was not easy to get to the room as it was up and down stairs and wandering around in the corridors trying to get your bearings.

Upon entering my room, I was immediately hit with the smell of chlorine. I thought it may have been coming from the bathroom where it had been cleaned, but soon realised that the room was situated right next to the swimming pool. The other noticeable problem was the loud music thumping from the classes at the gym on the opposite side. I called reception who said the music would stop about 8.30 when the classes finish, which was fine, but when I said the chlorine smell was overpowering and wanted to be moved I was told there was no free rooms. Whilst that is how it goes, I then said that I couldn't stay here due to already getting a headache from the chlorine and said that I couldn't stay, I was told that I would still be charged, despite only being in the room for less than one hour since checking in! I then went to reception and requested that they waive the charge as I would drive up to the Holiday Inn at my end destination and the duty manager did agree to do this. However, you could tell this had put them out as I got the impression they just thought I was complaining for the sake of it as I wasn't thanked, or apologised to when I checked out, which was a bit disappointing as I've never been given that impression in any of the chain's hotels prior to now when I had a problem.

Room Tip: Ask not to be sited anywhere with a rood beginning with "3" as some of these are close to...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BrickVader
HIDoncaster, General Manager at Holiday Inn Doncaster A1(M), Jct. 36, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback onto trip advisor, following your recent stay at my hotel. I was disappointed to read your comments and sorry that my team at the hotel had not made you fully aware of the exstensive work being completed on the air extraction system within my Leisure Club. May I take this opportunity of personally apologising to you, but thank you for your constructive comments. I would appreciate at your earliest convienance if you could give me a call at the hotel.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have stayed in many hotels globally due to business trips and have got to compliment the staff at the Holiday Inn,Warmsworth, Doncaster,they are quite simply brilliant,all of them.A special mention though should be made for Ian who is on reception,as his help and understanding recently to resolve a problem, was been beyond the call of duty.Ian is a credit to the Holiday Inn organisation.
I can highly recommend this hotel to anyone who requires back up and support especially if you are on a business trip.
Great hotel and the food is good also.

Kind Regards
Fraser

Room Tip: For Business users select rooms third or fourth floors.All these rooms have business facilities.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
HIDoncaster, General Manager at Holiday Inn Doncaster A1(M), Jct. 36, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Fraser W,

Thank you ever so much for taking time to post your feedback onto Trip Advisor, following your recent stay at the hotel. I was delighted to read your kind comments made about the excellent facilities and the superb staff in particular Ian who works on my reception. I will make sure your kind comments are shared with all of my team at the hotel.

I look forward to personally welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

Thanks