“Very very good”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Very very good”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

First of all the conversion of this former Fire Station was inspired. Excel land decor, layout, service....and food!
Reasonable choice of dishes and overall good value.

• Visited July 2013

“The Best Fish and Chips in Britain”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Now me and my other half have just been scrolling the reviews of this place and are frankly horrified at the bad comments it has recieved.

I work a 5 minute drive away and regularly meet in here for lunch throughout the week... the food and service is never anthing other than impeccable.

I would consider myself a bit of a foodie and have eaten Fish & Chips at the Magpie Cafe in Whitby. Believe it or not I am sat writing this review in a Pub in Padstow after eating Fish & Chips from a restaurant branded by a certain celebrity chef.

My husband regularly has a haddock and we have tried cod and plaice as a daily special too. All 3 fish are battered nice and lightly and the chips are fried PERFECTLY in beef dripping.

As I said further up in the review both me and my hubby are bemused by the bad reviews. Perhaps the reataurant struggles when busy?

Either way... we can only judge on our own experiences - hence the 5 star rating!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank AlexandBoof
Retford, United Kingdom
“Whitby in Doncaster”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We called in on a Thursday night. The restaurant was fairly busy and there was a good atmosphere.
We ordered small cod and chips and a haddock and chips. The food and drinks arrived promptly and the batter on the fish was really light and crisp, not at all greasy. I usually leave the batter under the fish as it tends to be soggy, (and I save on a few calories) but I couldn't resist this batter. The chips were perfectly cooked and the mushy peas very nice, (not bright green and full of baking soda). Although I ordered a small cod I still got as many chips as my husband did on his full size portion.
The staff were very efficient and the overall look of the restaurant was bright and airy and very clean.
We spoke briefly to the owner on our way out, he was a liitle distracted but polite.
We would certainly go back and hope to get as good food and service in the future.

Stockton on Tees
“Much improved”
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

100per cent improvement to the last visit . Good fish batter, good chips and good service. Can't say more

Visited July 2013
Doncaster
“Great fish n chips”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Went here for my daughter's birthday - her choice as she had heard great things. We were not disappointed. Like the fact you can order wine which was priced well. The fish and chips were lovely, crisp yummy batter and lovely flaky cod. Perhaps a little on the expensive side but worth it. Surroundings pleasant enough and the staff really helpful and attentive. Will definitely go again.