“Room Clean but what a terrible breakfast”

The Lodge at Olive Bar & Grill
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We recently stayed at the Lodge just for one night.The rooms were very nice and clean but the water was only luke warm.Breakfast was a disaster!! We arrived for breakfast at 8.45am,10 minutes later the waitress arrived and asked what we would like for breakfast and we ordered a full English with toast and coffee/tea.15 minutes later the tea & coffee arrived.Then after a further 25 minutes the breakfast arrived.I assumed after such a long wait the breakfast would be hot and fresh,I was so wrong.The Bacon looked like it had seen better days and the beans were cold,sausage contained a bone and no toast was forthcoming.We asked again for the toast which arrived without butter.By now it was 9,40 hence we didn't bother asking for the butter,didn't have the time to wait.The worst breakfast experience ever.There was only a few residents there so I worry what it is like when busy!!

Room Tip: Make sure you aren't hungry when you arrive for breakfast
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I do not want this review to devalue the previous posts but a reality check is in order. The Grill does provides good value for money but there were issues that in my opinion need to be highlighted.
On arrival I was kept waiting for quite some time before the key was offered. Collected from the main bar there was no queue of customers and no reason or apology was given for the delay. Had the bar been busy you could have been waiting for ages.
The room was pretty standard. On the plus side, comfy bed, good WIFI, and a bath and shower. But, the flat screen TV was postage stamp size as was the main towel in the bathroom. My main complaint was the total lack of hot water in the morning. It was luke-warm.
I ate in the grill and the meal was very average. The Burger was good, but the chips ressembled a take out from Macdonalds and may well of come from the local M's as they were cold. The Breakfast came quick but was pretty standard and nothing to write home about.
In fairness none of my complaints were communicated to the staff as no one bothered to enquire and on check-out the only member of staff was the cleaner. I think the 'Lodge' is a bit of an after thought. The main business here is the Grill.

Room Tip: Shower early for the hot water!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed at this hotel after visiting Doncaster Race Course. we read reviews on the hotel booking site and were not disappointed after our visit. The hotel was easy to find following instructions printed from AA route map. The rooms we were allocated one in the Lodge and one above the pub were clean and tidy and well decorated. The bathroom was modern with walk in shower. We dined at the Olive Bar and we were very impressed with the "Black Rock" steaks. sampling the venison and the duck. Very high quality meat which it needs to be using this cooking method. Breakfast was of good quality and portion. all the staff were pleasant and helpful. We would stay here again if visiting the area

Room Tip: We were in the main building our friends in the Lodge both of similar quality. You do need to acces...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We tried this restaurant for the first time in February and I have to say the food was fantastic. I enjoyed cooking my own Kangaroo steak and it was perfect! I would recommend this restaurant to others as well

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Recently my parents took both myself and my dog on a narrow boat holiday and every night we moored up in a different location. One night we tied up in Barnby Dunn. After walking into the village we stopped a local and asked them where to dine he without a second thought pointed us in the direction of the olive bar and grill....WHAT A STAR!!!

Upon arrival a very nice waiter greeted us and told us would could pick our own table then just bring the table number and order up to the bar. With such a great menu it was hard to pick but the thought of being able to cook a steak to my favourite amount (blue) well how could I turn down the volcanic hot rock. ordering was easy and the food came out in plenty of time not much of a wait. the waiters and waitresses are a credit to the management team. This venue should have its own listing for just its restaurant and maybe a bit of advertising to allow customers to know about leaving a comment on trip advisor.

I hope you grow and grow. I'm never really in that location but i really think if you like your food you will love this venue.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Spoonie1985
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were a party of six, spending the night in the area for a Dog Racing night. We arrived late afternoon and were shown into the Lodge accomodations at the rear of the bar. We were pleasantly surprised at the lovely, clean and well decorated rooms. Derrick and his staff could not do enough for us. We had breakfast the next day, with plenty to choose from - full English a must!! It would have been nice if we could have stayed to sample the hot rock steaks, but maybe next time!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank YorkshirelassesHull
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Have never stayed in the Lodge , but have eaten here several times . If the Lodge is remotely as good as the restaurant then you will not have any problems . The Restaurant provides a top quality range of dishes with plenty to eat of a range of dishes without over fancy recipes that you will want to eat . Attractive food at sensible prices , with a bit of a twist in the cooking ! If you like predominantly ( but not exclusively ) English food , well cooked with genourous proportions ( no pictures on a plate here ! ) then this is the place for you .

Room Tip: This is mainly a review of the restaurant . However , given the high standards I would not expect an...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Andrew T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doncaster
Best Western Premier Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel
#4 of 19 in Doncaster
The Regent Hotel
The Regent Hotel
#12 of 19 in Doncaster

Been to The Lodge at Olive Bar & Grill? Share your experiences!