“Hidden gem with great food and a friendly welcome.”
Review of Angel Inn Pub

Angel Inn Pub
Ranked #84 of 557 Restaurants in Doncaster
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Eight of us got together for a Boxing Day meal and Simone's team delivered yet again. We ate from the set menu which gave us a reduced, but in no way limited, choice - between us we had roast beef, pork belly, roast chicken, steak & ale pie and fish & chips! - and the food was excellent.

The service is always brilliant and the pub has a genuinely friendly atmosphere.

1  Thank Kris P

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Well I actually love this place. Was introduced to it by my girlfriend last year and the place as a friendly atmosphere and the staff are so friendly and nice. Top all that off I think the food is fab and reasonably priced for the standard of food provided by the excellent chef. The twice cooked chips are a wonder and served in quaint little frying baskets. I have sampled much from the menu and love it all. Not had a bad meal yet. Currently they got a great deal on a Monday called Monday madness and worth checking out.

1  Thank Steven L
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Tucked away in a fairly remote village is this excellent example of the English pub with food and rooms. We only went for lunch, but on a miserable December day it cheered up my wife and me. The welcome was charming and the food was satisfying and hearty.
My wife started with a ham hock, boar and apple terrine and I enjoyed a beautifully presented baked field mushroom, stuffed with blue cheese. These were gastropub style starters whereas our mains were more traditional style dishes. We both had the steak and Guinness pie with chips and vegetables. This was a marvellous dish. The pie was crammed full of the tenderest beef, topped with puff pastry that had been cooked as a lid and not added to the meat after cooking. It was good to find that the veg included red cabbage and carrots in butter, not the usual cauliflower and broccoli. The chips were just brilliant; clearly home cut and home (twice) cooked. At around £5 per starter and £10 per main this was tremendous value.
If I lived anywhere near to The Angel, then I would be a regular. I would also be somewhat larger than I am now.

3  Thank CityGardener
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Ate here for a family meal and unusually for us found something for everyone. A good varied menu and Monday night specials were excellent value. We tried several different starters, Yorkshire puds, prawns and chirizo, mushrooms and ribs. All ok but ribs were a little tough and not enough sauce, mushrooms looked really good and apparently tasted just as nice.

Mains we had a couple of lmb dishes, good portions and tender meat, game caserole was very nice but heavily loaded with liver and chicken in pancetta and mustard sauce was nice but small. The veg was a little hard for the tastes of our group.

Sweets were very nice and overall we were pleased with what we ate. Staff made a couple of mistakes with our order but were quick to rectify and very apologetic.

3  Thank Christopher C
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We were in the area and ready for dinner so we decided that due to the reviews on trip advisor we would check out the angel inn. On arrival it appeared to be busy in the bar with regulars, so we went to sit in the back. We ordered our food i had the fish and chips my husband went for belly pork we had to wait a while for our food but i don't mind that if i know its cooked from fresh. My fish and chips arrived i found them to be very greasy my husband was not impressed with his dish either considering how much we paid we left felling very disappointed and unable to understand why so much praise is heaped on this place. There is much better out there.

1  Thank misty1112