“Shows potential”

Cafe Med
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Mediteranean restaurant with fully stocked bar.Bookings advisable on weekends.Private parties catered for.Now taking bookings for Valentines. Call for details.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Shows potential”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Four of us went for a meal here last night. It was very chilly inside the restaurant, but to be fair, it was an exceptionally cold night outside.

The food was very good, although you do have to wait a long time for it. They cook each dish from scratch, that is the reason for the wait. makes me wonder how long you would have to wait if it was busy though...there were only one other couple in the place when we were there.

We all enjoyed our meals though, no complaints. They had done something especially for me as I am vegan. I have been to some really well respected restaurants who weren't able to provide anything nice for me.

I thought it was well priced. We paid about £60 for 2 courses (shared Bruschetta to start) and we also had some drinks too. I thought that was extremely reasonable.

I think this place has a lot of potential. These are difficult times and I just think that the people who run this place have good intentions. My only grumble would be that it was very cold and the wait for food a little too long.

I shall go back...but maybe when it's warmer :-)

Durham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A slice of the Mediterranean in Dismal Doncaster!”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I had the spicy meatballs and a Greek salad, they were both really tasty, perfect amount of garlic...I wish i could make these myself! Fantastic service and a lovely and an amazing rioja at a reasonable price, its safe to say i will be returning!

1 Thank kirk m
south yorkshire
“Not up to former standard”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

At it's best, it's very good. But sadly, the quality is not consistent. We have had excellent tapas in this restaurant but on our last visit we were very disappointed. A board of shared tapas (for 2) consisted of 1 spear of parma ham-wrapped asparagus (was this for sharing too?) and a very limited selection of food compared with previous times - no mushrooms, a shaving of cheese, mussels cooked to the point of disintegration. It was very lack-lustre. A couple who had the lamb tagine felt that it was a meagre portion for two, as was the small dish of couscous. That said, it was delicious - as were the fish stew and the mussels.

1 Thank bagpackers2
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A hidden gem!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Visited cafe med last night for a belated valentines meal & it was absolutely fantastic. Steve is very welcoming, the staff r lovely,more than helpful & the food was to die for! I can highly revomment the fish stew, never had so much seafood in such a small bowl before! But everything we had was delicious. The only downfall was the service was a little slow but it didn't ruin our evening at all. Will definitely be returning in the near future :-)

1 Thank Sarahcarrissa
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
“Perfect Long Lunch”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

The food is the centre of the experience on offer small but varied choice, very good quality for not much money. Have never felt rushed from table, a reasonable wait reflects the just cooked nature of the food. Will definitely go again and recommend to friends.

• Visited February 2013