“Superb Exhibits!” 5 of 5 bubbles

South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum
Ranked #6 of 49 things to do in Doncaster
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We are an aviation museum dedicated to preserving and displaying the aviation history of South Yorkshire and other areas. The museum is run by volunteers and is a Registered Charity. The Museum is suitable and interesting for all ages groups and caters for school and others group visits. The site is accessible by wheelchair users and is pram friendly. We encourage people to become members and for them to be able to get involved with the running of a busy museum in all its aspects.
Rotherham
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Superb Exhibits!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

This was our second visit and we noticed how much bigger the museum was. A lot more to see and do. The day was freezing cold but there were loads of exhibits under cover. We will be checking the advertisements and articles to see if they add any more new aircraft etc.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Ian_Chapman

Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great day out!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband, 2 year old son and I recently visited this air museum and found it to be one of best days out at an air museum we have had. My husband, who is a complete aviation nut, was very impressed by the variety of exhibits and felt that the 'working museum' approach made it a more enjoyable experience than that of many air museums we have visited in the past. My 2 year old also thoughly enjoyed the 'hands on' aspect of the visit and the fact that he could have a go at being a pilot! The staff and volunteers were all very welcoming (particularly the lady working in the shop/cafe), there was a quiz to keep older kids occupied and the price was reasonable for a family day out.
Overall I would recommend this as a great day out for aviation enthusiasts and families alike.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Gem_Sparkles
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“good trip my kids loved”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

lots to see, loads of information and cocpits to jump in and out of...... my kids were in heaven!! Made a fantastic day out and entertained not only my kids but also me..... I had no whining i'm bored or playing up in fact the kids were so amazed all I got was 'wow cool'..... I'd recommend anyone with young children to venture here.

Visited September 2012
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Good place to visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

As a wheelchair user, I was delighted at how easy it is to navigate around this lovely little museum. A wide range of aircraft and cockpits are on display including a Westland Whirlwind that I flew back in the sixties. I was informed that it had undergone a major refurbishment recently. It looked ready for flight so well done to all the volunteers involved.
The shop was well stocked and is probably a modellers delight. Although hot and cold drinks were available, the food selection was limited to cakes and biscuits. Hopefully they will get a cafe going one day as the option of hot food would have made my visit complete.
The enthusiasm of the volunteer who showed me around for part of the visit was impressive and made me feel very welcome.
Lighting in the hangar was reasonable. No electric lights on at the time but natural light was sufficient to let me find my way without trouble.
Went from here to Newark Air Museum, a similar type of volunteer run museum but larger.
Thanks for a great visit

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Paul H
Wakefield, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Spur of the moment glad we did.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Lots to see, cockpits to jump in and out of. Young kids really enjoyed it (<9 years) older ones would too if doing a Second World War project at school or interested in aviation as a whole. Would I recommend? Certainly. Will I go again? Hope to.

Visited June 2013