“No grumpy waitresses” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Black Bull Inn

Black Bull Inn
Ranked #22 of 508 Restaurants in Doncaster
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“No grumpy waitresses”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Four of us went to dine on a Monday evening. We hadn't booked, but there was plenty of room. We were told that most evenings it was possible to get a table, other than Saturdays. We had a drink in the bar whilst we perused the menus. The draught bitter was excellent.

There were several specials on the board, but none of them vegetarian. Indeed the vegetarian choices were somewhat limited - at one stage it looked like I was going to have garlic mushrooms followed by mushroom stroganoff, but the soup claimed to be vegetable, so I had that as a starter.

The waitresses were very attentive - my mother is almost blind and as we went through to the dining area they pointed out the shallow step to all of us, but guided her through carefully.

We saw other diners having the salad specials, about the size of a washing-up bowl, so only order one if you're hungry!

All four of us thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The waitresses asked if everything was all right - and waited for our answers, unlike some places where its a mere formality. The chef appeared from time to time, and chatted to the diners.

If they added a few more vegetarian options I'd certainly give this five stars.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank John R

Doncaster
“It's not 'fine dining', it's a pub with very good food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

I read the recent reviews and wondered why they went from one extreme to the other. The best way to find out was to try the place so we did, twice. Here's my view - the good reviews talk about the food and service and don't mention the 'decor' or the price, can you guess what the bad reviewers do? Oh, by the way, we had a great meal one evening and went back to try Sunday lunch today, we will be going again, frequently!

• Visited January 2013
4 Thank Lawrence S
Sheffield, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent pub with great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

We were introduced to the Black Bull by a friend who lives nearby. Its a good half hour drive for us but we returned for more as the food was fabulous and we found it a very friendly and welcoming place. My partner is a big seafood fan so the lobster dish and also the seafood medley were his favourite. As a vegetarian i must admit that my menu choices were limited, however the food I did choose was extremely good, especially the garlic mushroom starter which is the best I have had and I've eaten that dish in a lot of places!
The manager Jonathan is very friendly and attentive,he is quite young but shows a mature and professional approach to his business.

1 Thank Jessica Z
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
“Excellent Customer Service and Excellent Management!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Hello lovely people, I was so appalled by a recent review of this restaurant that I have plucked up the courage to write my first Trip Advisor review.

I regularly drive 20 minutes to eat at the Black Bull Near Thorne, Doncaster and here are my thoughts.........

Service and People: Jonothan and Dawne who run the place are very friendly and welcoming. I have two small boys who are difficult to entertain in restaurants at the best of times, however the staff at The Black Bull take interest in my children and take the time to talk to them and keep them amused. It is a very family friendly restaurant and the staff cannot do enough to help and please the customer. The staff always have a smile and speak politely and respectfully. One example is recently I turned up with my partner at 2.30pm on a sunday not realising that the restaurant stops serving at 2pm on a Sunday and the chef had already finished for the day. Instead of sending us away, Jonothan served us up some lovely beef in a red wine and garlic sauce which the chef had already prepared for the next day to marinade overnight. He even knocked down the price of our starters (without us asking him to) as we couldn't have the sunday roast we had gone in for. This is fantastic customer service in my book!

Food: I am very particular with food and where I eat. I don't like places where food is simply microwaved or staight from the freezer. At the Black Bull it is guaranteed that everything on the plate is home cooked from scratch. The food is delicious and generous portions are given. Also, service is quick and you are not left waiting ages for your meal, which is important when you have a young family.

Price: Meals a reasonably priced and excellent value for money.

Environment: The bar area is quintessentially English and gorgeous! With a log burning fire, piano, and family memorabilia it has a lovely homely atmosphere. Just perfect! (I wish it were my local). The restaurant area itself is clean, roomy and practical. Tables are well laid out with thought given to the detail. I think given the space, it would be difficult to produce exactly the same atmosphere as what is in the bar area....perhaps this is the only point of constructive criticism I could offer to the owners?

As a local business owner myself I feel it is important that businesses are portrayed in the correct light. I would heartily recommend the Black Bull to any of my customers, and anyone that reads Trip Advisor. To sum up: fantastic staff and and management, very welcoming, lovely home cooked food, and an all round lovely place :-)

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Toni K
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Terrible customer service, terrible management!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

I visited the black bull recently for Sunday lunch. I chose to go there based on reviews seen here, what a mistake that was!

The restaurant area has probably not been redecorated since the 1970's and it shows!

Whilst the food was of a reasonable standard I was absolutely appalled at the level of customer service I received, the young manager clearly has no experience in the restaurant industry despite the menu stating the family have been in the business for over 50 years and claiming he studies hospitality.

It's safe to say this is not a restaurant I would return to.

• 2 of 5 bubbles