“Excellent Customer Service and Excellent Management!!!!!”
Review of Black Bull Inn

Black Bull Inn
Ranked #13 of 526 Restaurants in Doncaster
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
“Excellent Customer Service and Excellent Management!!!!!”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Hello lovely people, I was so appalled by a recent review of this restaurant that I have plucked up the courage to write my first Trip Advisor review.

I regularly drive 20 minutes to eat at the Black Bull Near Thorne, Doncaster and here are my thoughts.........

Service and People: Jonothan and Dawne who run the place are very friendly and welcoming. I have two small boys who are difficult to entertain in restaurants at the best of times, however the staff at The Black Bull take interest in my children and take the time to talk to them and keep them amused. It is a very family friendly restaurant and the staff cannot do enough to help and please the customer. The staff always have a smile and speak politely and respectfully. One example is recently I turned up with my partner at 2.30pm on a sunday not realising that the restaurant stops serving at 2pm on a Sunday and the chef had already finished for the day. Instead of sending us away, Jonothan served us up some lovely beef in a red wine and garlic sauce which the chef had already prepared for the next day to marinade overnight. He even knocked down the price of our starters (without us asking him to) as we couldn't have the sunday roast we had gone in for. This is fantastic customer service in my book!

Food: I am very particular with food and where I eat. I don't like places where food is simply microwaved or staight from the freezer. At the Black Bull it is guaranteed that everything on the plate is home cooked from scratch. The food is delicious and generous portions are given. Also, service is quick and you are not left waiting ages for your meal, which is important when you have a young family.

Price: Meals a reasonably priced and excellent value for money.

Environment: The bar area is quintessentially English and gorgeous! With a log burning fire, piano, and family memorabilia it has a lovely homely atmosphere. Just perfect! (I wish it were my local). The restaurant area itself is clean, roomy and practical. Tables are well laid out with thought given to the detail. I think given the space, it would be difficult to produce exactly the same atmosphere as what is in the bar area....perhaps this is the only point of constructive criticism I could offer to the owners?

As a local business owner myself I feel it is important that businesses are portrayed in the correct light. I would heartily recommend the Black Bull to any of my customers, and anyone that reads Trip Advisor. To sum up: fantastic staff and and management, very welcoming, lovely home cooked food, and an all round lovely place :-)

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Toni K

Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Terrible customer service, terrible management!”
Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

I visited the black bull recently for Sunday lunch. I chose to go there based on reviews seen here, what a mistake that was!

The restaurant area has probably not been redecorated since the 1970's and it shows!

Whilst the food was of a reasonable standard I was absolutely appalled at the level of customer service I received, the young manager clearly has no experience in the restaurant industry despite the menu stating the family have been in the business for over 50 years and claiming he studies hospitality.

It's safe to say this is not a restaurant I would return to.

2 Thank n19335
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, great service...business as usual!”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I'm from Thorne but don't live in the area any more. We went with my dad for a meal shortly after christmas. I'd not met Jonothan before, but he was attentive, corteous, polite, and very informative of the menu. The meal was great, as always - they pride themselves on the fresh seafood, adn it is fantastic, the oysters were superb, delicious beetroot relish with them was a novel way of serving them. All main courses were great. We've eaten at The Black Bull many times, as small and large groups, and the food is always fantastic, and the service exceptional. The price is very fair, considering the size of the portions and the quality of the fresh foods used. Keep up the good work! Sam Griffiths, Edinburgh

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank SammyGriff1
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Always excellent!”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My family, friends and I regularly visit the black bull for the excellent food, the friendly atmosphere and the reasonable pricing! The food is exceptional and I am slowly working my way through the menu and have not been disappointed once, the steak is exceptional! Both the owner of the pub and the young manager as well as the waitresses stop to make sure everything is ok and are eager to please! The bar always has a friendly atmosphere and is warm and cosy, just like a pub should be! For our staff christmas party we visited and everything was perfect, on time and well presented! Real care taken! The portion sizes were that generous many of my colleagues were unable to manage a desert! I always like to try other places to eat but afterwards I always wish I'd stuck to what I know and had gone to the bull! A real good local!

1 Thank OMackintosh
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Appalling customer service”
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Had read excellent reviews before visiting this pub with dining area, and was looking forward to nice Sunday lunch with my partner. Initial impression on entering the bar was good, warm and fairly welcoming. Introduction on menu makes great emphasis on family business of many years... Entering the dining area was like entering a 70's time warp. Dingy faded curtains and table linen, furniture and decor left a lot to be desired, as did the toilets. Food was cooked to a reasonable standard, veg was fresh and extra gravy provided, however cabbage was overwhelmed with garlic which was very unpleasant on a roast turkey dinner. We declined dessert and surprised to notice we were still charged 2 course price. Mentioned it to waitress who came back and said there would be no amendment as she'd asked both owner and son, the latter who then moved us away from other dinners to argue for 10 mins that the price would remain the same as it was company policy! His attitude was arrogant and although eventually conceded to a partial refund, this manner of hospitality was unacceptable. Will not return.

3 Thank Jen16c