“Fabulous stay!”

The Earl of Doncaster
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Doncaster
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed at the Earl of Doncaster for 1 night in late October. It's a fabulously decorated hotel with an Art Deco feel!
It's in a good location for the town centre, not too close but only a short taxi ride away! The reception and bar staff were very friendly and helpful (not that there were any problems!) we were able to have an early check in which was even better!!

In our room, extremely comfortable bed and coffee/tea facilities. The strangest thing? No door to the bathroom. Me and my partner weren't bothered by this but I can imagine that others would be. If your travelling with friends or a partner that you don't want to shower or toilet in front of....you might want to check.

We had dinner in the restaurant which was very nice as we're the cocktails!

Over all we had a very pleasant, comfortable stay...however I think that £130 a night was a little steep!

It does have a car park behind the building, it's small but I always found a space, there's also ample parking outside the front of the hotel on the roadside.

In conclusion, I would recommend and stay here again :)

Room Tip: Check your bathroom has a door!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 13, 2013

I wanted a nice restaurant for a spot of lunch for myself and a business colleague. I was initially really impressed with the 1920's decor and theme of the bar and restaurant. We ordered our food. I asked for the starter portion of king prawn linguini and my colleague ordered a blue steak with boiled potatoes and salad. I received a rather large portion of linguini (which when we paid the bill realised we had been charged for the large portion) and my colleague received a well done steak with chips and onion rings. Not at all what we had ordered. As the order was completely mixed up I will be even pickier by saying there were no napkins and I had to ask for bUtter with my bread roll. The food however was pleasant and the waitress did quickly swap out the chips for potatoes and brought a salad on request. All in all it may have been a one off mistake and I can say the atmosphere and food was good. Shame they didn't offer some kind of discount and that we paid more than we should have for my main. I would say give this place a try if you are looking for a nice lunch with interesting surroundings.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I'd read some very mixed reviews on here about this hotel but I was working in the area so wanted to give it a chance, especially as I've always loved the Art Deco period. The food wasn't bad but for me this would be the main area of improvement needed at this hotel. My room was very comfortable and I think the Art Deco styling worked well throughout. If I was working locally I would return to this hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We have just enjoyed our 35th Christmas Presentation Dinner (Sunday 8th December). Yes, 35 years. This is the first time I have written a review on Tripadvisor but felt compelled to do so due to what I can only think are either exaggerated or unfounded criticisms that I do not recognise.
Our function room was beautifully decorated with the tables dressed in a stunning black and gold theme.Our meal was one of the best ever. We have been very fortunate in being able to witness the transformation over the years, into what is today, undoubtedly, one of the best hotels in Yorkshire.

From start to finish, the highly trained and motivated staff could not do enough for our group of 52 people in making our "do" run as smoothly and enjoyable as possible. Everything about the meal was hot, fresh, punctual and professionally served. From the home-made Cream of Vegetable Soup or the taste-bud sensation of the Duck & Orange Pate starters, through to the Chicken Chasseur or Poached Salmon mains, complimented by excellent veg and for dessert Flamed Christmas Pud with brandy sauce or Lemon Cheesecake. Finally, to round off our meal, you guessed it, warm mince pies with tea/coffee. You could not have bettered this anywhere in South Yorkshire.

The reception area, together with all the other bars and lounges are, "without equal", to anywhere that I know of and most certainly has that "wow" factor that has to be seen to be believed.

Well done and a BIG "thank you" to the Earl yet again!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We went here on recommendation of friends as a special celebration with our grand-daughter. The décor in this recently refurbished hotel is wonderful - art deco - and the potential for a great experience is there hence the "very good" rating, it was better than "average". But....though the staff were very friendly and made us very welcome they were operating on a burger bar level - ok if having that big mac but disappointing when paying the prices we were for that special treat. It obviously was not their fault, the management ought to invest in a bit of staff training. The tea itself was fine though and it is good to think that a place with potential like this exists in Doncaster.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We were invited on a Christmas party and for the the £35 ticket we got a 3 bottles of wine to share between 10, 3 course meal and a tribute to robbie williams. The hotel was nice the entertainment was good but the food was shocking and the staff were poor. We were greeted to a menu with a choice of two starters, one main and two deserts. my choice was salmon and prawn which didn't have any taste, i then waited for the main which was just given to me without asking if i was a vegetarian. I then had to wait for a new knife due to it being mucky. Once the knifed arrived i took into my chicken wing over boiled or poached cauliflower, hard carrots and not peeled or cut the ends of my sprouts, you could even see the black bits at the bottom. Oh and the gravy was like water. This was the worst Christmas dinner I've ever had. The little all sorted chocolates were the best out of the whole dinner. The main supervisor who was supposed to be looking after the young girls didn't have a clue and they were dashing all over the place. To say how nice the function room was this is a big let down for a big hotel in our town. I will never eat there again i'm sorry but for what was put in front of me i'm afraid i can only tell you how it was.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank mgp007
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

We didn't stay although some of the other guests did and seemed happy enough. Every effort was made by the hotel to ensure it was a good occasion for the bride and groom and the event felt special. There were 18 of us in total and the room was a good size so we didn't feel lost. The decoration was lovely and the food pleasing.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family