All reviews cocktail bar privilege room anthony's restaurant bars and clubs saturday night afternoon tea nice stay early hours town centre few drinks nice room comfy bed night stay food was lovely yogurt merchants civic
Selected filters
Reviewed March 10, 2019

This hotel is in the centre of Doncaster and pubs and restaurants close by
The beds were quiet comfortable and the shower for a hotel is 1of the best
That’s the positive
The negative Ona Saturday night as 1 of my friends put it
It was like the Wild West outside
What with people swearing and smoking something in door way of hotel
Fighting police ambulance with flashing lights
What really put me off and I should have guessed about noise at 4 am was the ear plugs
Enjoyed Doncaster but noise level outside
That is unless you wish to join in drinking till very late

Room tip: Get drunk you may not hear noise
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed March 9, 2019

Let’s start off with the positives. Sorry, that shouldn’t be plural as there is only one positive: the staff. All the staff I encountered were lovely, welcoming and helpful, with a special mention to the girl that seemed to run the restaurant single handed in the evening and the morning.
I just hated everything else about it. Firstly, there is a quarter mile walk to and from the car park. Oh, I really enjoy a bracing walk in a light jacket with 2 bags in the mildly inclement March weather. Then there was a room. Obviously, I can’t speak for all the rooms but the room I was in was so small I didn’t have a bedside table. The en-suite was also tiny and didn’t have a shelf above the sink. The food was just about okay.
I think you can guess my conclusion, I won’t be staying there again.

Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank hunslet49
Reviewed March 8, 2019 via mobile

Stayed here last year and everything was perfect so went back this year for birthday stay and Italian meal , first room we went to 203 was cold as heating wasn’t working and just had a storage heater in so when I complained at reception we were moved to room 310 as she said heating worked on this floor , the room had two single beds pushed together , sticky white stains all over curtains, needed hoovering we asked to be found another room but was told there wasn’t any even though the hotel only had under 15 people staying in it nor could we be refunded so we could stay elsewhere, went for a drink in bar where a woman was slumped in chair asleep so sat round corner to have a view of mucky mop propping door open to where we saw all breakfast things stacked up near the bins , also beer was flat not worth 20 quid let alone 75 quid !!!!!!! Will not return

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank claireandlewis1978
Reviewed February 19, 2019

The hubby and I had stayed at this Hotel a few years previously when going to a concert. As we enjoyed our stay that time we decided to book another nights stay in December.

Our car was parked in a nearby car park recommended by the hotel. This was a large car park with ample parking spaces, cctv and ANPR cameras in operation. The charge of £6 for 24 hours was very reasonably priced and it was only a 5 minute walk to the hotel.

On arrival at reception we were greeted by a smartly dressed and courteous lady. Unfortunately although we had already checked in online our room wallet and cards were not ready so check in took a bit longer than normal. As we are Gold Status Accor Members we asked if we could have a upgrade to a Privilege Room. We were however told there was none available.

On entering our room we found it to be very chilly but the heaters soon sorted that problem out. The room was a large size, clean and well decorated. The bed was a large double, the mattress comfy and the pillows lovely and bouncy, a good night's sleep was had in it. The bathroom was of a good size with a bath and overhead shower in it. Plenty of hot water could be had and the shower had good pressure and power. The bathroom was clean, well lit and modern. The usual supply of Mercure toiletries were provided and I'm pleased to say the bath towels of a large size and fluffy. The only problem we encountered was as we are Gold Status Accor members an amenity gift should have been provided in our room on our arrival, this was not the case. We also found that the receptionist had forgotten to put our free welcome drinks cards in the room wallet.

On leaving the hotel for venturing out for something to eat we mentioned to the receptionist about the forgotten free welcome drinks cards and the amenity gift, we were told this would be sorted on our return. On our return we were given the free welcome drinks cards but told there was to be no amenity gift at this Mercure Hotel. This we found strange as it is standard with Accor when Gold Status is achieved for the amenity gift to be in the room on arrival as we have found in other Mercures we have stayed at. The receptionist said she would have to have another word with management about it. We were very kindly provided with an ice bucket to chill a bottle of wine we had bought to drink while we were getting ready and proceeded to our room.

Shortly after arriving back at our room there was a knock at the door. The courteous barman who had provided the ice bucket earlier had very kindly brought 2 small bottles of prosecco. He apologised for the error and told us that these were our free amenity gift due to our Gold Status. These were thoroughly enjoyed as we continued to get ready.

Before heading out we entered the bar to be greeted again by the helpful, smartly dressed and courteous bar man we had encountered before. Here we had two splendid glasses of wine with our free welcome drinks voucher. The bar was not very busy but still had a lovely atmosphere too it. We were disappointed to learn that the cocktail bar was no longer open for the public / residents to use, it was only used for functions now. We had thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the hotel the previous year and also the cocktails / drinks and music we had in here and were looking forward to going in here again but sadly this was not to be! After we had enjoyed a meal out and a few drinks we returned to the hotel for a night cap. This was thoroughly enjoyed near a warming fire and it was pleasing to see the bar busier.

After a good night's sleep we ventured down for breakfast. This was superb with a good selection of meats, cheeses, pastries, cereals, yoghurts and of course a full English. The poached egg I ordered was cooked to perfection and our table was served by again a helpful, jolly, courteous and smartly dressed member of staff.

Check out was quick and easy, our bill paid and our invoice emailed to us.

Although there were a few problems, forgetting the free welcome drink voucher, forgetting the amenity gift for Gold Status Accor Members and the Cocktail Bar not open we still had a very pleasant stay. We can highly recommend staying at this hotel or just calling in for a drink. The hotel is centrally based near shops, restaurants and bars and the hubby and I are looking forward to returning for another night's stay at the end of March.

Room tip: Rooms away from lifts and rooms facing out onto the front of the hotel to be avoided at weekends due to nightlife noise.
Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
AndreaMHW, General Manager at Mercure Doncaster Centre Danum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2019

Dear Lunn2013,

Thank you for taking time to leave such a detailed review. Reviews such as your serve as an inspiration to myself and the team as we strive to consistently deliver the best service possible.

I do apologize that your Le Club amenities were not readily available as would be expected and am pleased that the team took steps to resolve this quickly.

Thank you again for choosing the Mercure Doncaster Danum and I do hope that we will welcome you back soon

Kind regards

Andrea

Reviewed February 12, 2019

The hotel is an old building, but with modern room furnishings and appointments. More character than modern ubiquitous hotel rooms, and comfortable. The bar is dead, but there are plenty of bars and restaurants within a very short walk of the hotel. There is no car parking, which is a downer - parking in the immediate vacinity is limited. Good breakfast, and staff were friendly. Be careful not to get a room at the front on a busy Friday night - you are right in the middle of the nightlife zone, and your sleep could be disturbed by all of the noise outside.
I'd stay again, but ask for a quiet room!

Date of stay: December 2018
AndreaMHW, General Manager at Mercure Doncaster Centre Danum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2019

Dear Mack321,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

I am delighted with your comments regarding comfort, staff and breakfast and will ensure your review is shared with the team.

We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Kind regards