“CHEAP BUT GOOD”

Ranked #19 of 19 Hotels in Doncaster
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“CHEAP BUT GOOD”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed here for one night as it was handy for Doncaster airport. For the price we expected the worse but were pleasantly surprised at the standard of accommodation. First impressions were not promising, a car park full of contractors vans, and we expected a scruffy room and noisy stay, but had a very good nights sleep in a comfortable bed, with even coffee making facilities and possibly one of the best hotel showers I've had, very hot and good pressure.
The rooms were very drab all in magnolia and needed extra power sockets, but anyone could manage for a night. Everywhere was very clean and in working order. Nothing was dirty and the whole place just needed a lick of bright paint.
We spoke to the manageress over breakfast and she mentioned that the motel is about 25 years old and in need of updating, especially with extra power sockets in rooms. This lady was ever so friendly, had been on when we booked in the previous night and was now checking people out, cooking breakfast, waiting on tables and still finding time to chat. She had no help whatsoever and is a real credit to this company. The vans were ever present, but companies are looking for a cheap room and therefore find Campanile ideal.
They had a bar area and large TV showing Sky sports, so this branch at least is trying to do its best in making a very cheap stay enjoyable.
The motel is set well back from the main road so very quiet and no noisy traffic.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My partner and I have stayed in several places in Doncaster. We are both over 70 and slightly disabled, but this is the best place we have stayed at and will be staying again. The lady in charge was very helpful to our needs and gave good advice about places to go in Doncaster. We had continental breakfast and it was superb. the room was large and very comfortable. We are looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: they are all ok
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Arriving after a course, I checked in at 5, waiting for my partner to arrive after work, I walked into the room there was a hole in the wall, mould in the bathroom, cobwebs everywhere, black stains on the roof, black stains on the wall, red stains on the bedding, wires hanging from the old kettle, no spoons to stir your cup of tea! Once my partner arrived I made my decision to leave, I went over to reception n told him, he wasn't pleasant when I told him the room was dirty, explained my reason for leaving, all he could say is ill show you another room, but after one bad experience I didn't want to see another room! He went to speak to a manger she came out in her coat obviously leaving for the day but she shrugged her shoulders n didn't care! By this point I was rather annoyed I wasn't allowed a refund but for £35 I didn't care, I just wanted to get out of there! I wasn't allowed a refund as I had apparently missed the cancelation time which was 6 pm I had gone to reception at 5.50 pm! And told I had been in my room an hour it's not there problem! This is the worse place I have every stayed and will not be going back there! I know it's cheap but I atleast except it to be clean!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank 123charli
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We received very friendly service. This is a typical Campanile Hotel, with motel style accommodation. Our rooms were clean and had everything we needed. The hotel was in a very convenient location. The food in the restaurant was well cooked, and there was a good variety of choices on the menu as well as a specials board.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cobham, Surrey
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed here whilst attending a conference in Doncaster. My first impression was of a little restaurant surrounded by holiday apartments! I went to reception to check in and was greeted by a rather gruff lady who clearly wasn't happy in her life! lol... The reception desk was in the restaurant and the woman on reception was also the waitress and... she was cooking the food too!!!
I went to my room across the car park and up some concrete stairs. The rooms aren't enclosed, they're like flats. I went along the balcony but was slightly blocked by two girls on the balcony outside their room, next door to mine, leaning over the balcony smoking... like chimneys! I think that evening they did enough to keep the cigarette industry on it's feet! Problem with this... the smoking was outside my room as much as theirs so I couldn't open the window as my room stank of cigarettes... The room itself was comfortable and adequate. No problem there. In fact, based upon the price, I would say it exceeded expectations.
I then went to the restaurant to be served by Miss Gruff... Don't get me wrong she wasn't at all rude. She just wasn't very welcoming. She didn't smile one, and I'm not exaggerating. The food was ok-ish. Very basic, and over cooked, but generous portions. I has nacho's to start smothered in melted cheese. I asked if I could have cutlery, not to eat the chips, but to manage the cheese and the salsa... I was told I don't need cutlery! How about that...!! I also ordered ham, egg and chips. Ham was way over cooked (more like a gammon steak but much thinner). The chips were burnt but the eggs were perfect...
I would stay here again, but I wouldn't eat here... Food Safety would be a big question mark with one person doing so much. No kitchen whites, no hand washing going on... I went in for breakfast, saw the guy who would be cooking and decided to go hungry. Nice guy but he didn't look to clean/hygienic...
I also strongly recommend the hotel inform people staying that if they want to smoke they should go to a smoking point! The balcony is narrow, the rooms are narrow, so by smoking outside their apartment they are smoking outside both neighbours...

Room Tip: Try for a ground floor apartment so you may not have smokers outside your window. There are a few p...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Reading the negative reviews for this friendly hotel would make you feel that it wasn't a good idea.
Firstly, all Campanile Hotels are chalet/motel type accommodation, so no, it is not like a "typical" hotel in that sense.
Personally, I prefer this type of accommodation as you don't get disturbed in the middle of the night by noises guests in adjoining rooms or banging corridor doors.

Doncaster's Campanile is a friendly, clean great value for money accommodation.

FREE WiFi, I recently had to pay £15 for a 24hr subscription at a supposedly 4 star hotel, give me the Campanile Anytime, compared to supposedly better 4 star hotels!

Clean, Friendly, and Great Value for your money.

By the way, this review is based on 8 business stays at this venue in the past two months.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Oliver1954
Kirkby Lonsdale, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Campanile has always been one of our favorite stopping places in Europe and in the UK,
The hotels are always cheap but cheerful with small but comfortable rooms.
We particularly liked the French Bistro style eateries with the emphasis on fresh cooked food
Chefs daily specials lovely salad buffets and of course steaks cooked French style on griddles
that create a unique ambiance. Sad to say Doncaster Campanile is nothing to compare with all that.
Sure the rooms are still cheap but even smaller than we remember and the decor and furniture are oh so tired and in need of updating,To be fair the bed was big and very comfy.
The pleasant receptionist was also the Chef who was also the Waiter and the Barman but he did have plenty of time to play all these rolls as even at 8pm the place was almost empty and soulless.The menu had no specials and non of the eagerly anticipated fresh food or Steaks .
(No nice gingham table cloths just bare tacky tables).to late to do a runner I ordered Moules and a Burger my wife opted for the safe bet of a Pizza.
The Moules were the smallest I have ever seen and tasted as though they had been heated up in Sea Water The Burger was Dry and tasteless with a bun that was even drier,But the Pizza hit rock bottom with a congealed slab of cheese sitting on top of a stodgy base,the Chips were like the worst an oven could create oily smooth and overcooked. Sorry our "French Friends" but "Boil in the Bag" is not your style ,We passed on Breakfast no sign of fresh Croissant !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business