“Another great stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Another great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2011

This is our third stay at the hotel and once again it was fantastic. We are local people but as we couldn't decide what to get each other for Christmas we decided not to bother and treated ourselves to dinner, bed & breakfast in the spa suite at the hotel.
The room was magnificent with a 7ft four poster bed and there was a two person sauna and a huge two person jacuzzi. Just one word of warning, the jacuzzi takes best part of 3/4 of an hour to fill but once it's on it's great. There is an i-pod docking station so you can play your own music whilst using the jacuzzi etc. but there are other input plugs for other types of MP3 players etc.
We ate in the restaurant and were impressed with the quality of the food and service as usual.
All in all, a great stay and we'll probably be back again next year!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
MPH1938, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PREMIER Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2011
Many Thanks for taking the time to write your review on your recent stay at the hotel. I shall ensure that your valuable feedback is given to the staff and very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2011

First let me say I stayed at the Best Western about 18 months ago and I enjoyed it. This time I was left feeling offended and greatly upset at my treatment by the "management". I booked two rooms next door to each other as my 13 yr old son was with my wife and I. I arrived late on Friday night after a long drive from London. My wife and I were showed to a room which to put it mildly had a strong stench of tobacco. I notified the hotel staff and they showed us to a room on the opposite side of the corridor NOT next door to my young son as I had requested and booked. On entering this room it became clear that it was a room specifically for those who have a physical disability and even more specifically - use wheelchairs. The bathroom was ugly and very clinical and in my opinion had areas which were clearly unclean and grubby (hand rail next to toilet) I called the staff immediately and told them this was not appropriate and asked for this night's stay to be removed from the bill. My wife never used the room and went to sleep with my son. The next morning, 29.01.11, I spoke with the duty manager and i informed him that due to the messing around the night before i would not expect to be charged for that night he said "we should be able to sort that out for you" leaving me with the clear impression that he would take that night (for one room) off our bill. On checking out on 30.01.11 we were told that they had only taken £10 off the cost of the room. To make it worse the receptionist spoke with such a loud voice I found the situation very embarrassing very quickly. She called the manager who "marched" up. I asked to go somewhere private and he showed me to a room where a party had obviously just left a hearty breakfast as there were uncleared plates of bacon and eggs etc all over the table. The manager made no attempt to clear these plates etc and as I sat down he chose to remain standing which I found unusually confrontational. I explained my disappointment and to my shock he actually accused me of discriminating against disabled people and their facilities !!??? I could not believe my ears, I have travelled widely and stayed in beautiful hotels where staff take customer's issues seriously. The staff at Mount Pleasant were awful, rude and rather aggressive in this respect. They kept on repeateing "well we think this room is very nice" not realising that quality is defined by the customer NOT the provider. The manager flatly refused to take into serious consideration my disappointing experiences and told me "well that's the offer" not that I wanted an offer, I just wanted to be treated with the respect that a customer who has spent over £200 on a meal and drinks the night before deserves!! I would NOT recommend this hotel, the whole culture is one of self-satisfaction and arrogance because they have no competition. My advice is to check very carefully the details of your room on booking and do NOT leave an imprint of your credit card on arrival (as I did) as this is a great cause of complacency in my opinion as they know they can charge your card if there is a dispute, the manager just said to me "I will take action to recover the costs" - Sorry MORE TRAINING FOR STAFF AND MANAGEMENT I THINK !!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank deanpinnock
MPH1938, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PREMIER Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2011
Dear Sir

Thank you for saying you enjoyed your stay 18 months. Unfortunately it appears that you have some real issues with your stay on this occasion.
I accept that certainly in the first instance a room where the previous occupant had smoked is not acceptable and should not have been let, please accept my apologies. I also understand that you were moved as quickly as possible to the nearest available room which unfortunately did mean that you were just across the corridor from your son.
The room which you were allocated is an executive room which does have some adapted facitlites in the bathroom, the room and the bathroom are of a very high standard and indeed as I stated at the time in our discussion I do believe that they are highly acceptable and stand by that decision.
I also stand by the decision to give a £20 discount for the inconvenience of the initial move in to a perfectly acceptable room, there was never any intimation that the whole night charge would be removed from any of my staff or managers.
The receptionist in question was very firm but on no occasion raised her voice, the aproach that was made courteous and you were asked 'could I help you sir?' . Your reply was that you had a problem and would like to go somewhere private. This was not a problem, unfortunately four of the lounges already had guests in them which I am sure you would not have wanted to share, the only alternative was the a small private function room which had just been vacated and I actually did apologise for the plates at the time.
I did listen to your comments and agreed to the £20 discount for the inconvenience, but unfortunately you point blankly refused to pay.
I can assure you that there is no culture as you describe and the guests comfort and satifaction is the aim of the hotel and is at the forefront of everything that we do.
In terms of the imprint of your credit card as you will know having stayed in many hotels, this is a common procedure and very often payment is taken in advance something which in your case we have not done unfortunately. Having departed the hotel without settling any of your invoice, in attempt to recover the cost of your stay we did try to process your details but these were declined and it was asked that we retain your card which unfortunately we were unable to do, and still await payment. for both your £200 meal and drinks and all of your hotel bill.
It is unfortunate when incidents like this happen but I can assure that even with incidents like this which I do not agree with many of your points we do review our procedures and policies to ensure that we provide a better product and service.
yorks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2011

What an excellent evening from the lovely welcome from the deputy GM to the excellent Robbie Williams tribute and great food to the dj who played all requests and was very helpful. Thankyou !

1 Thank maccapakka
Many Thanks for your excellent feedback and we look forward to welcoming you to next years ball !
Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2011

We didn't stay here and as there is not a seperate place to review the restaurant then it has to be done here.
We have been to Mount Pleasant today for Sunday lunch. We first visited the place some ten years ago, indeed l celebrated a special birthday lunch there and have hosted many a dinner party there also.
We haven't visited for over two years, this being due to incompetent and rude staff on those last visits and finding on one or more occasion that we had been given the wrong bill and charged for someone elses dinner etc.

As we live quite local we decided to give the place another try today for Sunday lunch.

Sadly, it was very disappointing., in fact it was just terrible and one of the worst meals l have had in a very long time.
The Sunday Lunch menu is just about as boring as you can find. Beef and salmon on the starter course as well as the main course. We all struggled.
I chose the salmon starter and my husband chose the beef......the only other alternative was a stuffed courgette and carrot & coriander soup and also a pasta dish......?
How on earth this place can call these dishes Appetizers is beyond belief. They were totally tasteless and uninspiring.
Next offering was lamb cutlets for hubby and pork loin for myself. Again totally insipid and bland. No stuffing with the pork and just a baby portion of apple puree. Yuk.
Vegetables were rock hard and obviously warmed up. The peas were so dried up they were inedible.
The dessert menu was even worse, with such standard puds one would expect to find in one's local gastro pub and not that of a so called four star hotel. We declined the offerings with glee.
We did order coffee, expecting it to be served in one of the lounges of the hotel, but were told that was only possible if they could find us space! Needless to say it was brought to the table, although l did notice that there was more than enough room in some of the lounges.

So to re-cap. We were not greeted on arrival, l had to go and find some person to inform that we had arrived. Ok, not unhappy with that, except we noticed other diners being attended to with much better service such as drinks orders in the lounges.
Bar staff need training, l had two glasses of Merlot and ordered another during lunch, only to be given a Rioja.....not asked at all, just plonked on the table and not acceptable.
Having ordered, we were eventually asked to go through to the dining room. No help with our glasses and l even struggled with my coat, no assistance was offered.

Before l close this l will say that the wait staff we had at our table were really lovely, very friendly and polite.

As for the whole experience..........one we will not be repeating.

I have noted the management comments here. I would be most grateful if you would kindly not insult me by asking that l write to your hotel via the email reception address you give out.
As management you should ensure that each and every guest is happy without exception when they are at your hotel.

2 Thank TEEMILL
MPH1938, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PREMIER Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
Dear Madam

I was obviously very disappointed to read your feedback with regard to your Sunday lunch experience, certainly by your feedback not the standard for service which the hotel looks to attain or achieve.
The menus provided for Sunday Lunch change quarterly and are quite traditional Sunday lunch fayre which typically suits the majority of our customers on Sundays, obviously this was not quite to your tastes. I can certainly assure you that all the food produced is prepared and cooked freshly for that day.
Please accept my sincere apologies for your experience and I shall certainly look in to all of your points raised. I can also certainly assure that this was certainly not the level of service that we wish to provide, but had any of your points been raised or brought to our attention on the day the staff and management would have certainly made efforts to correct the situation, and achieve the standards of service which they should have been.
You are quite right to point that as management we should ensure that every guest is happy and of course this is the aim of every service that we provide in the hotel without exception. The email address was provided as a courtesy so as the customer may contact the hotel direct , my apologies that this seems to have caused you offence.
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2011

Had such an amazing time in April '09, just had to stay again. Everyone is friendly & cannot do enough to make you feel at home. Once again we found everything to our liking, spotlessly clean ~ a lovely quiet spacious room with a really comfortable clean bed, enabling a good nights sleep ~ the food was exceptional, delicious & all freshly prepared & beautifully presented. Management & staff are a credit to this hotel. Yes you guessed it ~ we will definitely be going back again ~ well worth the 400 mile round trip drive.......cannot wait, Carole & Malcolm Loft.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
MPH1938, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PREMIER Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2011
Many Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback. I do hope that we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2010

Not for the first time we experienced much less than 4 star service and quality of food. Pheasant overcooked and dry, waitress etiquette not good and attention to detail poor - men served first!!!!etc..

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank bigfella78
MPH1938, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PREMIER Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2010
Thank you for providing your feedback on your recent visit, obviously I am very dissappointed to read your feedback and would like to the opportunity to discuss further if you would like to send an email direct to the hotel with the details of your visit I will certainly look into your points further. Email reception@mountpleasant.co.uk.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2010

We got married at this hotel 5 years ago and we try to return at least once a year it is a beautiful hotel, food in the garden restaurant is always excellent a fantastic hotel for a romantic break.
We will be returning for New Years Eve I cant wait!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
MPH1938, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PREMIER Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2010
Many Thanks for your excellent comment and review, I look forward to personally welcoming you to our celebrations on New Years Eve at the Hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doncaster
Premier Inn Doncaster (Lakeside) Hotel
Whitley Hall Hotel
Whitley Hall Hotel
#2 of 53 in Sheffield
Ramada Encore Doncaster Airport

Been to BEST WESTERN PREMIER Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel? Share your experiences!