“Afternoon tea was great but service could have been better”

Best Western Premier Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Doncaster
GreenLeadersSilver level
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea was great but service could have been better”
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We chose to visit here for afternoon tea to celebrate my daughter's 18th birthday with her grandparents and godparents. We arrived in time for our 3pm reservation and was told the table was being prepared so would we like to choose our sandwiches whilst we waited which seemed fair to me. We were shown to our table which was in the bar area and felt like we had been put out of the way at 3.15 where we again given the menu to which we replied we had decided. The order was taken however at 3:50 the waitress came back again and said it shouldn't be much longer, I replied that we had seemed to wait quite a while and her reply was well its 8 lots of sandwiches and the crusts have to be cut off! The food arrived on 3 cake stands and looked beautiful but when the tea was brought the waitress commented she didn't know where it was going to go, was that my fault that he table wasn't large enough. The food however was excellent and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. Upon leaving my daughter decided to purchase some chocolate lollipops the waitress served her and commented that she was surprised she could fit them in - I would have thought that they wanted to sell them. On our return home it was commented from 2 of our party about the attitude of the waitress which was a shame. Apart from that it was enjoyable.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MPH1938, General Manager at Best Western Premier Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Helen W

Thank you for taking the time to write your review with regards to your recent visit to the hotel for afternoon tea.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed the content of your tea , I was obviously very disappointed that you experienced any delay in receiving your food please accept my apologies for this.

Also my apologies for any offence caused with regard to the comments on lollipops it was meant in a light hearted manor.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Richard Tyas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Diss, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Really nice hotel with polite and pleasant staff. Our family room was excellent. Stayed for a weekend break around Bank Holiday and would have liked to have stayed another night. Hope to book again soon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MPH1938, General Manager at Best Western Premier Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear DaveW321

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was so pleased to read your review and that you had such a good stay at the hotel, I shall ensure that your feedback is passed through to the team at the hotel.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I visited this hotel to have a beauty treatment and and afternoon tea. Both were great. The staff were polite and helpful. The afternoon tea was delightful with nice sandwich choices and cakes. The hotel itself looked very nice although we never stayed the night.

3 Thank Amy A
MPH1938, General Manager at Best Western Premier Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Amy A

Thank you for taking the time to write your review with regards to your recent visit to the hotel.

I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your afternoon tea at the hotel, and that the staff did their job so well. I shall certainly ensure that your feedback is relayed to all members of the team.

I look forward to personally welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2013

From check in to check out, the service is very poor. We attended a wedding of our friend, very excited and with a nice pictures of the hotel on booking despite of the bad review on reception and tired hotel, I booked it as I stayed in a Best western hotel before in other country and in Wales. The check in I have to wait for a long time as the room was not ready and even offered for early check in and I will pay, they cannot accomodate me. The room was lovely, clean and very comfortable bed but the noise from the hall way and outside was unbearable to be heard in my room. The afternoon tea was a long wait of 2 hours and the table was not prepared and one of the waiter was miserable, the food was good but due to a long wait I was not able to enjoy the afternoon tea. I have to wait for a long time to check out as only 2 staff dealing the checkout.

8 Thank nwilliams_24
MPH1938, General Manager at Best Western Premier Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear nwilliams_24

I was quite astonished and dissapointed to read your feedback as I was with MegBey.

Further to all of our conversations of the past few days, you have chosen to vent your feelings via Trip Advisor which is obviously as a guest you have a right to do.

I would state that nowhere in the conversations with either myself or the one with Best Western Customer services with MegBey has it ever been mentioned of any dissatisfaction with regard to afternoon tea that you experienced or was it it ever mentioned during your stay or at the time that you came to pay your bill, I have reviewed you order from the time that a table was opened to the time in which you came to pay your bill when the check was closed this was 64 minutes. In my opinion I see this as reasonable amount of time to both prepare and consume a leisurely Afternoon Tea.

I have also reviewed your comments with regard to your early check in time. The standard hotel check in time is 3pm and we actually checked you into your room via our reservations log at 1.23pm. No charge was made for an early check in, but similarly you did not leave our lounges to go to your room until 2.55pm. We only guarantee three early check ins per day and this is for 1pm and must be booked prior to arrival so we can guarantee that these rooms will be ready. I note that you never booked this in advance and that we facilitated you arriving early as soon as the room became available.

In respect of your comments with regard to noise outside your room again this was never mentioned during your stay and no one else in the 3 rooms in close proximity reported anything, certainly if there was any noise we would deal with this problem immediately via our duty management team.

With regards to your checkout I have viewed your checkout form the time you approached the desk and can confirm that this took exactly 60 seconds which I would consider very efficient.

I am sorry I totally disagree with your points of view with regard to your stay.

London
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Arriving for the wedding of our friend our initial feelings of Mount Pleasant were fantastic, however despite it's big luxurious rooms and tranquill setting shown in the pictures we were quickly let down by the service.

Despite booking a table for afternoon tea 3 weeks previously we were left to stand around why the old table was cleaned and our table was laid. The service was then incredibly slow and most certainly not with a smile.

The ultimate disappointment came at the end of our stay when we were charge for drink we did not buy. Despite The signatures being completely different on the room card and the receipt the manager stated showing CCTV of us at the bar is simply enough! Disgusted and appalled at the way this matter has been dealt with. Please Please do not stay here!

5 Thank MegBey
MPH1938, General Manager at Best Western Premier Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear MegBey

I was quite astonished and dissapointed to read your feedback.

I would state that nowhere in our conversations or the one with Best Western Customer services have you ever mentioned any dissatisfaction with regard to afternoon tea that you experienced, I would sense that you have chosen to add this due to your disgruntalment due to the bar charge.

As discussed via the phone calls to both myself and to Best Western Customer Services, firstly I would point out that when you disputed the bar charge on the Sunday Morning we suspended that charge pending the hotel looking into the matter further. We investigated via the member of staff who served your party on both occasions and also via CCTV footage as you you state of the drinks being purchased at the time. Whilst you state that the signatures differ to the room card I disagree, similarly the bar staff also on each occasion asked for the presentation of your signed keycard to verify your room number. I would also take the opportunity to point out that you admitted via the voice call that you had actually consumed those drinks.

Certainly from the hotels prospective if I believed that a mistake had been made I would have removed this charge but believe that no mistake has been made here,I very much disagree with how you have chosen to demonstrate your point .

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2013

The hotel is in a super setting
And caters for its clients very well
The bistro area offers a superb choice of menus during the day
From a continental breakast early in the morning through to english breakfast, morning tea, coffee, lunch, afternoon tea, high tea, dinner, and supper
An amazing quality high service levels with english speaking staff nothing is too much trouble
The afternoon tea is fabulous
Well worth a trip

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank ian g
MPH1938, General Manager at Best Western Premier Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear dealdownup

Thank you for taking the time to write and post your review.

I was very pleased to read your review, and to read all the fabulous comments of your visit.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here for two nights – our room was huge but very tired and sparsely furnished. Bathroom was huge too but 'plasticky'. Staff were friendly and helpful. Gardens were lovely. We had a room at the back of the hotel which was quiet but any room to the front would be noisy because of the road.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel – busy road to the front.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bonnifido
MPH1938, General Manager at Best Western Premier Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Stefan K,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review with regards to your recent stay at the hotel.

I was dissapointed to read your point of view with regards to your room, unfortunately I have viewed our reservation history but I am unable to match your name on here to a reservation so as I can review your comments further with regard to your room. All the rooms within the hotel are spacious and have a sofa and large desk and furniture in as well as the space to move around which we have always considered to be a nice feature of a hotel room.

In respect of your comment with regard to the few rooms that we have on the roadside of the hotel are triple glazed to insulate against any noise.

Thank you for your kind comments with regard to the staff and gardens I shall certainly ensure your comments are relayed to the them.

Richard Tyas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doncaster
The Earl of Doncaster
#11 of 19 in Doncaster
Grand St Leger Hotel
Grand St Leger Hotel
#17 of 19 in Doncaster

Been to Best Western Premier Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel? Share your experiences!