“A perfect B&B”
Review of Gringley Hall

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Doncaster
Gringley Hall
Ranked #20 of 24 Doncaster B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We called to confirm prices and to book a room and was e-mailed a booking form that was posted back.

We able to check-in whenever we wanted, especially useful as there was less traffic than expected. We arrived to find that we had been upgraded to the four poster room which was fantastic. As we were going to a Wedding reception we were given a key to let ourselves in when we got back.

The beds were very comfortable and shower nicely powerful, and we were able to open the windows which is a rare thing these days.

In the morning we had a fantastic breakfast for everyone's tastes and left thoroughly refreshed. Should we be back in the area we will definitely return and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank James D
There are newer reviews for Gringley Hall

Reviewed July 6, 2011

Gringley Hall appears on "pet friendly" websites and we booked a stay there after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor.

The booking process was easy and pleasant. The lady of the house was charming and we discussed our family stay and the dog accommodation. The accommodation was the most expensive we found in the area, however the rates for the dogs are the lowest - free - if they will stay in the porch or £10 each if they go in the bedrooms.

The house itself is an unimposing and attractive three story building set in pleasant domestic gardens.

Unfortunately from the moment we arrived we felt rather uncomfortable. A pleasant young man explained that it was his parents house and he knew little of our stay. He showed us to the guest room and gave a small jug of milk to make tea. there was only the one tea bag in the room and by the time we noticed there was no one around so we shared that between us. The room is pleasant but it feels like you are staying in someone else's bedroom. There was an old dressing gown hanging up and we could not hang us our clothes as the cupboard was crammed full of stuff that smelled of mothballs. The shower room was clean and tidy with just one loose floor tile and the room had a old remote controlled TV that we didn't try and some attractive furniture that is in keeping with the property. There was a kettle, the tea bag I mentioned and some cups and saucers. The property is not double glazed and the neighbours were playing loud music but that is not the fault of the guest house. As we arrived at about 10pm rather shattered all went straight to bed. The beds were comfortable but soon after midnight we were all awoken with the return of the owners. The gravel drive, squeaking stairs and floor boards and loud voices made getting to sleep again difficult.

The guest room backs onto some sort of industrial boiler room and so I'm not sure if it was the low rumbling from that, the aforementioned floor boards or the crying baby that woke everyone just before 7am on the Sunday - but we were up nice and early whatever it was.

To that point I didn't really have any complaint to be honest - its a guest house not a hotel - but on going down stairs to let the dogs out I felt verbally assaulted by the owner as he greeted me with "YOU DIDN'T SAY YOU HAD DOGS". I replied good morning and explained that we had discussed them at length with the lady on the phone. I was rather expecting a slight apology when he told me "NO YOU DIDN'T". I explained that we had chosen them because they advertised on the pet friendly website. "WELL SHE DIDN'T PUT IT IN THE BOOK SO WE'LL HAVE TO CHARGE YOU" was the reply and that was that. We packed and prepared to leave. Their own dog sleeps in the kitchen - not something we allow at home - so we declined a cooked breakfast. There was enough orange juice for two glasses - although there were three of us and the dog hairs in the marmalade meant that no one wanted much toast so that was okay. The Weetabix was nice. We found our bill on its own in the hallway - so we wrote a cheque and left.

£125 a night and I have not been so pleased to pay and leave somewhere for as long as I can remember. Never again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank diggers253
Reviewed May 22, 2011

I was travelling up north for work and rather than stay in a faceless motel I stayed at Gringkey Hall. What a treat. It is a lovely old house in beautiful grounds. I had a four-poster bed and a lovely en-suite. Breakfast was fantastic - really fresh and tasty. My hosts couldn't have been more charming. HIGHLY recommended.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Richard_Harding63
Reviewed June 4, 2010

My husband and I have stayed at Gringley Hall on a couple of occasions and love the place.

This is a grand old house in a small village on top of one of the only hills in the area! It really is a fantastic spot for peace and tranquility.

The owners are lovely, very friendly and make a fabulous breakfast each morning. The rooms are superb, absolutely huge, with modern bathrooms and all the home comforts you need. There is wireless available if you sit in the drawing room and huge grounds to enjoy.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple