“Fit for purpose but nothing special”

Ramada Encore Doncaster Airport
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Doncaster
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My wife, daughter and I stayed at this hotel the night before we flew out on our holiday. We chose to stay due to the early flight time of 6 in the morning. The rooms are basic and a little cramped but more than comfortable enough for one night (I doubt many guests stay longer than 1 night). The bed was comfy enough but I am glad that I was not sleeping on the sofa bed. My daughter had no problems sleeping though but it would not have been comfortable for adult use. The bathroom (wet room) looked to be okay until our daughter had a shower and almost flooded the place. The water pressure from the shower was too powerful for the small drain to cope with, so we had to get a mop and bucket. The hotel staff did offer us another room but we declined as we were only in for one night and it was already quite late. We ate in the hotel and the food was very nice, although the menu was very limited. 3 Clean plates say enough. We also had a few drinks in the bar and I nearly passed out when the final bill came over. It is not a cheap place to eat and drink so be warned! Overall this hotel is an ideal airport hotel and is only a short walk to the terminal. I would have no hesitation in staying here again if I was flying from the airport. I would probably make sure I was fed before checking in though!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Darren C
There are newer reviews for Ramada Encore Doncaster Airport

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I won a comp by Sheffield star . ronan and racing day
I booked the ramada on line via booking.com, easy and great,the next night I received a call, would I like a taxi booking if going to races, now that is service, I still cant believe it, so I did, micks taxi were reasonable nice and a pleasure to use on both journeys, I met a lovely couple of ladies on my taxi ride, every one so friendly, the staff from arriving to leaving friendly pleasant efficient and helpful, the staff went to each taxi to see whos it was, after a great day we had a drink in the bar, the staff couldn't do enough, again met a lovely croud in the bar, had such a lovely time, and the staff were great, value for money wished breakfast was in offer but wasn't incl, everywhere so clean rooms nice and love the modern sink and the sofa bed , thanks ramada

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Great location - 5 minutes walk from airport so no need for taxi. Excellent, helpful and friendly staff. Bar opened till late. Room was nice and clean, very comfortable bed and good selection of TV channels. All areas were really clean. I was surprised by quality of this hotel as I liked it more then for example Sheraton which was twice more expensive.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stopped here for one night on business but must admit I was impressed with both the staff and the food.

Reception
- arrived, gave my name and yes sir, we have your reservation. Ok, something that should be simple, but the number of times there have been problems, it really makes me appreciate it when it goes right. I asked for a room facing the airport (something to watch in the evening) and no problems, she sorted it out

Room
- I don't normally stay with Ramarda and so was rather surprised when the flooring was wood, but actually quite pleasant on the feet and must be easier for cleaning. Inside, there is a desk area, ok sized tv, sofa bed, full length mirror and bathroom. There isn't a cupboard but there is an open area for hanging up bits. To be honest, the minimal setup is pleasant. The bathroom is a nice glass tiled setup with a wet shower area. Plenty of towels and soap provided. The pillows are ok, but I try to bring my own tempur pillow for a good nights sleep. The mattress is ok, just, but rather hard and glad I'm only stopping one night

Parking
- plenty of parking provided, barrier entry and exit

Restaurant
- I was only expecting an Ok meal, but it was really really good, Tuesday night is curry night, so a curry and a drink for £10 and it was very good. I then had some space left so had the chicken strips (ok, it was a starter) and then the cheesecake. Wow, very impressed and now suitably chilling in the room
- wifi is provided and is just about reachable in the room

Conclusion
- yep, a good hotel with excellent friendly staff and yes I would stay here again, thanks

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I go on business trips and generally try to stay at this hotel. The facilities are relatively new. The rooms have clean hardwood (looking) floors, a modern bathroom with continuously tiled floor into the shower and large luminous windows.
The service at the reception and restuarant is not the best but acceptable.
The restaurant food is variable, from some dishes which I rate as tasty (deep fried camembert) to others which are inedible (huge meat platter with 4 types of meats).
Unless you are going to Robin Hood Airport, the hotel is a bit off the course and you will need transportation. The good thing is that there is ample free parking. Other reviews say it is safe parking. I never had any issues but the gate pops up when you drive in and opens up when you buzz to go out so it does not seem to have any type of enforcement for safety.
I wish it had a swimming pool or at least a small gym.
Overall a good hotel for the 3 stars it boasts.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed here for one night on 3 June 2013 prior to an early morning flight.

The room was superb- very modern and comfortable.The bar was lovely and the meal we had was very tasty.

However my friend has walking difficulties and uses a walking stick- we were told it's only a 5 min walk- in your dreams- maybe if you are young & fit! We are quite old and for her, struggling with a walking stick whilst dragging a heavy case it took us well over 5 mins lol.

I asked in the hotel why transfer to the terminal was not offered- the receptionist told me that 'it's up to the airport and that the hotel is not allowed to provide transport'.

I can't help thinking that's not really true!

I've stayed at the hotel at East Midlands Airport which is only a few hundred yards from the terminal but a transfer by minibus was available- and very welcome- provided by the hotel not the airport!

Flopsy

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Pros: The bathroom was very modern The breakfast selection was very good indeed and average priced. Secure car parking.

Cons: The beds were a bit small for a couple and the mattress was a bit hard. Whilst having breakfast in the morning (we were the only diners) the staff were in the back room watching Youtube clips and laughing at the top of their voices which could have been heard from far away. Not a very professional image for the hotel chain.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple