“Many happy returns”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We were the Taj's first customers of 2012 and on our return to Doncaster, on our now-traditional New Year break, it turned out we were one their last 3 customers of the year too. Coming from Blackburn we know a thing or two about 'Indian' restaurants and if this place was in Blackburn it would be packed out every night. We'd like to re-iterate Clairforster's sentiments ( we booked last minute too) about our evening in the restaurant, good atmosphere, the guy in charge even came over and chatted for several minutes, great food, large portions, attentive staff and easy on the wallet- all in all a cracking end to the year

1  Thank rick w

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Telephoned this restaurant last minute on New Years Eve and they managed to squeeze me and my fiancee in. This was my first time visiting this restaruant after driving past it numerous times, I always fancied trying it as it looks nice and modern from the outside. We was seated immedialtey and asked what we wanted to drink straight away, the restaurant was actually smaller than I expected but it had a nice atmosphere. Plenty of staff, all very helpful, particularly when trying to decide what to choose off the menu. Food came just at the right time, not too quick and not too long. Food was perfect, wouldn't have changed anything. Very reasonalby priced too and we didn't feel like we was being rushed out. All in all a very nice evening, I will be returning and would definently recommend to family and friends.

storeyno5, Manager at Taj Mahal, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Many thanks for your review and so glad you enjoyed your evening. We look forward to seeing you at the Taj Mahal next time you are visiting Doncaster.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Myself and 5 friends attended this restaurant after being at a function all day in Doncaster, we sat down and ordered at 8:30pm, our papadums eventually arrived at 9pm which is ridiculous, the staff were unattentive and looked like they didn't want to be there. Our mains came out eventually an hour after sitting down at half 9. The order was incorrect. After finishing the meal I politely spoke to the front of house explaining that the wait time was terrible and that the staff were unattentive, her response was "sorry but the food was nice and there were no complaints so I cannot do anything", If I go out to a restaurant I expect to pay for food and service not one or the other. After going round in circles with the lady for about 5 minutes feeling like I'm banging my head on a brick wall I simply said we won't be happy to pay full price. The male member of front of house then came over, I explained the situation, he said to me "You're being completely unreasonable and if you wanted free food you should've gone somewhere else" despite the fact he was completely rude saying I'm unreasonable, he made did make some form of a valid point, I really wish I had gone somewhere else to eat. I then asked the chap to speak to the other 5 gents on the table with regards to the service, they all echoed what I already said. Anyway they give us the full bill which we already said we won't be paying in full due to the awful service, and the bill is wrong. We were over charged by £13 on drinks. We pointed this out and the male huffed and puffed asking aggressively whats wrong, after pointing it out he eventually just said he'll knock £25 off the bill (including the 13 we'd been over charged so in theory it was only 12 pounds), so after feeling like I'd been completely insulted, we paid and left. In all honesty the management didn't have a clue, the female told me "If I was unhappy with the wait time I should've asked how long the food takes and that she can't do discount because she doesn't own the place", if there was ever a case of a manager making a terrible excuse to try and pass the buck, that was it. And I think it's a given that if you go to eat in a restaurant you expect to get through your courses in a reasonable time frame, who asks "excuse me, how long should your food take?" It just doesn't happen. The food was fine but the complete lack of professionalism and terrible service complete ruined my experience there. Never having to go back would still be too soon. I'm a person who eats out regularly with friends and am more than happy to pay and tip for good service and good food, on this occasion I really didn't feel like the meal was worth paying for.

2  Thank Luke S
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Came from out town and absolutely loved it! Staff was very friendly and atsmosphere was lovely! Would deffo go again!

1  Thank Aisha A
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I went out on Christmas eve with friends. One of the friends recommended Taj Mahal. When we got there it was not very busy but nice Christmas atmosphere. We ordered our food, food was amazing. The food was just like home made food. The staff were friendly and professional.

1  Thank Khan2010