“Delightful asian food without all that dreadful oil”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Taj Mahal

Taj Mahal
Ranked #132 of 511 Restaurants in Doncaster
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Eastern European
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Delightful asian food without all that dreadful oil”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

I really love this place. Decided to go there on my way back from a medical conference. The owner was really nice and helpful. I cant fault this place. The foid was excellent.

1 Thank ottoman-786

Doncaster, UK
“Leader of the Pack”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Clean, inviting and welcoming atmosphere as you walk into the Restaurant. We were greeted by every member of the waiting staff stationed by the Reception area. After seating us into the comfortable large leather settees, we were individually offered a menu each plus, asked us for our drinks order. Our meal orders were soon taken and invited to our table when our starters were served almost immediately.
The mixed tikka starters were very tasty, all our (six) different curries were extremely well presented, flavoursome, scrumptious and delicious. The side dishes of naan bread (plain, keema and peshwari), plain rice, pilau rice and mushroom rice were absolutely delightful. The portions were so generous that we have no room for desserts. Throughout our meal, the waiting staff was very spontaneous without being intrusive.
Unlike the run of the mill restaurants serving food styled from the Indian sub-continent, this restaurant appeared to have strived to be the leader of the pack. The waiting staff is extremely courteous, friendly and proficient in doing their jobs. The chefs showed their culinary skills through their professional presentation and, the flavour of the meals served.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Hohmlt
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Restaurant not to be missed!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Excellent food and service to be had!! Enjoyable evening, would recommend and re visit ourselves. Went as a family, food enjoyed by all.

Visited September 2011
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Food average and half price drinks not half price”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Just come out of the Taj Mahal in Doncaster. Found them here on Tripadvisor and was hoping for good things. I eat out on business at Indian Restaurants most weeks of the year. I have been fortunate enough to eat in several exceptional and traditional Indian Restaurants and know what is good, great, average and poor. I am sorry to say that the Taj Mahal in Doncaster falls into the latter of poor. The service at the beginning was good. They had lost my booking but this did not matter - they would honour my 20% off voucher downloaded from the internet. In fact, the waiter who showed me to my table told me that they had another offer of a free starter and half price drinks would be a better offer for me. Onlr drawbackwas that it was 7:55pm and so I had to order quickly and would only get one half price drink - I was not allowed to order 2 andf out one by on my table. OK, I would go with this.
Started with poppadoms and chutneys (had to ask for lime pickle as you seem to have to these days) then my free starter of Chicken Chaat. Flavour ok but chicken tough and definitely a cheap product. Main course Chicken Jalfrezi, pilau rice, side dish of Channa Massala. Jalfrezi lacking in any sort of flavour, rice good, Channa Massala average, chick peas definitely al dente, flavour ok. None of exceptional or even good (other than rice) and pricey for the quality would be an understatement.

The real let down came at the bill. A bottle of Cobra (660ml) was £4.95 (pricey in my book, even in London!) but the half price bill was £3.50! I queried this but was told they would lose money doing it half price (rubbish, you can buy it cheaper at Tesco and definitely in a cash and carry where they would buy from). I am of a mind to report this to trading standard!

In short, average at best, but poor really, not a good standard of food and a rip off deal that is not all it says it is. I will be up here on business every 8 weeks and will be looking for an alternative!

• Visited July 2012
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

Came here couple of months and the food was good but truthful the food 2nd time round was alot better staff were helpful and they reconised us restaurant
was nice busy good atmosphere