“ABSOLUTELY SUPERB”

The Stables Accommodation
Ranked #17 of 24 Doncaster B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I write this review as a guest at a wedding but I did not stay overnight.

The food was out of this world and the service and attention would have put some 5* hotels to shame. Guests with dietary requirements were dealt with carefully and each guest who needed a modified menu was spoken to individually. Children were catered for without any fuss or nonsense and I have to say this was one of the best weddings I have ever attended in terms of the overall experience.

The setting is quiet, peaceful and stunning and my observation on the occasion of the wedding i attended was that no detail was too much trouble.

Absolutely top marks to the chefs and the staff involved.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed April 26, 2012

I stayed at the Stables in Doncaster for a week in April 2012. I'm an IT contractor and always look for value and good sleep quality, everything else is less important. As other reviewers have pointed out, the Stables is actually part of a university and college campus and they offer room in the Old Hall building to the public. The buildings are charming and the room allocated for my 6 day stay was clean, spacious and well equipped. I paid the standard GBP 25 per night on a room only basis. I think this represents excellent value for money.

Sadly, it isn't all good; I really feel that independent guests are playing second fiddle to wedding guests. I think this is a shame and it cheapens the image of the campus. During my stay, there was very little food left in the restaurant/bar on the Thursday evening. As others have pointed out, guests are excluded from the bar when the hotel is hosting an event such as a wedding.

If you're looking for a cheap stay near Doncaster, this place is absolutely fine, but take your own food and drink. As the hotel is in a rural area, It wouldn't be ideal for those without access to a car.

Room Tip: There's a fair walk between the car park and the accommodation block. Bear this in mind if you...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Attended a wedding function at the Stables which from the website looks like a great place ....and I suppose the function facilities are adequate ....but when you book for bed and breakfast you are directed to what is the student halls of residence at the next door college £60 for a double room in a student residence (i don't think so) ...the breakfast was very good chosen from a hot/cold self service area.....The bar prices are on the high side £3.50 for a pint of John Smiths Bitter???? ....I also ordered a pint of Guinness and the barman sidled to the other end of the bar and slyly poured the guinness from a can and then pretended to be getting it from the pump (why not just say there wasn't any draught guinness and offer an alternative) but I guess if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.....I would never go back there and definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone that I liked (even remotely)...I was there solely because of a wedding invite ....the wedding went very well (but then again weddings do tend to) ......

Room Tip: Find a decent hotel
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Arrived after booking a double room that they only had 2 single rooms left. also found out that we could not go in the bar because there was a wedding on which we were not told about therefore meant we could get no food after a long journey! We had to book into another hotel i was that discusted.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I live here when working . Room like an older travel lodge but with the character of an old building .its 25 per night , there is nothing to come near it at that price ,flat screen tv , ensuite water is hot , tea and coffee and shampoo on tap .room made up every day .resteraunt bar is very good .its used as an adult college on lower floors but it's not a problem. Walk in the grounds,rabbits and wildlife everywhere.parking is secure .cant say anything bad and I've been here for 6months

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Hoverbloke
Reviewed September 11, 2011

On an annual racing trip where I stop at the stables with a work colleague to attend the ST Ledger I was dissapointed with the conduct of the bar staff. On ordering a drink I was asked if we were in the wedding party to which I said no: My colleague and I were then told if we wanted a drink we had to sit out of the way, out of sight. We found this unacceptable as we had been given no prior notice. We had, had a drink earlier at the races, so could not drive to a public house. This meant the evening ending prematurely.

My colleague asked to see the manager who spoke to him regarding this and he made the point that as guests they should provide access to the bar or a bar. She appreciated our dissapointment but no concessions were offered. She said one of the bars was being refurbished but my colleague told her we should have been given advance warning of this as we had booked months ago.

On speaking to wedding guests at breakfast they were surprised at our treatment as paying guests. They actually said they would have demanded a refund. The worst part of the experience for me was not having a lack of access to hotel facilities but being told to sit out of the way out of sight.

Obviously this is a first for me, staying at a hotel and being told you are not welcome at the hotel bar. I dont go on breaks to sit out of the way, out of sight as requested by the bar staff. To make it worse wedding guests were noisy making there way to their rooms in the early hours, which didnt aid an enforced early night.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank KevinRiches
Reviewed February 15, 2011

The room we stayed in at The Stables was a bit small but spotlessly clean with a very comfortable bed. Good bathroom although again a bit small. As the accomodation is on a country annexe to Doncaster College, breakfast was only available from 7.30am to 8.30am. However the hotel needs to turn up the heat on the warm counter as the some of the cooked breakfast was tepid to cold. Bar food in the evening is of a good quality with great service (this college provides catering courses)

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple