“Could be worse, could be better”

Park Inn by Radisson Doncaster
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Doncaster
Reviewed April 23, 2013

It was a bad start......I arrived after a five hour drive to find that one and not two rooms had been booked. That was a mistake and they happen, but staff standing around behind the desk talking to each other about it and ignoring me (disabled, walking stick, three bags) was not a mistake, it was poor customer care. As was the crossing out on the form I had to sign which indicated wrongly that dinner was not available but papers were - the opposite was the case. Papers not being available was deeply disappointing, especially as when I asked where I could buy a paper in the morning before breakfast I was met with ums and ahs and the opinion that it was too far to go especially as there were roadworks. I had noticed them.

But the staff, despite poor customer care training, clearly, were charming and they did their best. The room was comfortable and the shower was the best shower I have seen in this kind of hotel in quite a while, with a built in seat (which I found useful as a mildly disabled customer) and room to move! The dining room isn't a dining room, it is a slightly bigger lobby than usual with tables in it. Not pleasant. The TV was loud and intrusive and the tables are just that inch or two too close to each other. Fortunately I dined and breakfasted at (early) slow times so didn't suffer! The food was food. The coffee was meh (important for me). The beer was good.

In common with a lot of English service industry business it just got by. It provided a comfy bed and some food, and the staff were very nice. It did the job. I would go back for the nice shower room and the pleasant staff, but would not go back for the food and the dining/breakfasting experience, and I would recommend an update in front facing customer care training. And it matters to me to have a paper in the morning!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank bernxx
emma p, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Doncaster, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to hear that your stay was not met with the exceptional standards of customer service you should have experienced - the staff are always undergoing customr care training and I can only apologise that you did not experience this elvel of service during your stay, I will be sure to ensure this is communicated and action taken where needed.

I also note that your food was not to standard during your stay, I would very much like to speak with you further in regards to this matter, as I pride ourselves on providing good food at good prices, so if there is something we can improve on I would be grateful for your comments.

In regards to the restaurant, this is a compact space, however it does serve it purpose and I am sure you can understand we do utilise space within the hotel, to the best of our abilities.

As stated above I would appreciate it if you could contact me, to give me some further feedback and discuss your concerns.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I am staying at this hotel for 3 weeks in 3 weeks i have had my sheets changed 3 times and wasnt sure if it was changed from the last person as 2 days later i got thrush which can be caught from dirty bedding. There is also stains on the wall. The tv has 5 channels not 11. The only good thing bout the place is the bar staff. Overall the hotel is terrable and if you can i would stay far away from it.

• Stayed: May 2012

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us at the Park Inn by Radisson Doncaster.

I Understand that your sheets had not been changed as regularly as should have been, The hotel prides itself on exeptional service and standards, and from your comments, I can clearly see this was not the case.

I would very much like to speak to you in regards to these matters, as I need to investigate why your sheets where not changed - we have a policy of changing sheets for staying guests eery 3 days, however we do make up your beds each day, if this has not been the case then I need to investigate this with the housekeeping team.

Please would you be so kind to contact me on 01302 760710 to discuss this matter further.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

The good.... Hotel modern, bedroom was fresh with tea / coffee and very clean, service from all staff polite and friendly.... we managed to get a good room-rate here which included breakfast....

Not so good....
No recognition or awareness of their own 'frequent stay club'...... no choice of room offered to us and none available when we asked........ it was the room offered or nothing..... (~tho' we checked in late) Why have this 'frequent stay club'i f you are not going to bother looking after SAS/ Radisson guests (?)
-situated on an industrial estate where the post-code doesn't quite get you there...... feels a bit like the end of the World... follow signs to rail depot and keep going another few hundred yards.!!!
The area is undergoing MAJOR building and road works, including working overnight.

~We were woken at 04.30 SUNDAY (14th) April by a tarmac gang and steam roller re -laying the road less than 10M from our room. It was so bad the building was shaking !
It went on til 06.30 when we had a dog dose for another hour....

As posted by others, breakfast room is not up to the job when the hotel is full, (which it was on a sunday at 8.15)
Breakfast -typical industrial buffet... at least the hot items were hot, and the staff were doing their best to keep things replenished and tables cleared.
On check-out asked if we had enjoyed our stay. (!)

- We were looking for somewhere clean and modern for some rest...... we didn't get it.
Would we go back?- Yes, but not until all the local building work / road laying etc has been completed.

Room Tip: Ask for ear plugs if there is overnight construction work going on
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank gatwickchap.
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed over Easter weekend Sat/Sun night 2 couples & 1 family, rooms were all good comfy beds fab shower, however the restaurant/lounge area was very disappointing and should not be called a restaurant as it is really extension of lobby. We were also extremely disappointed that on the Sunday morning that the Breakfast supplies ran out along with the bar also running out of basics such as orange juice. The staff were extremely polite and helpful although staffing levels did not seem correct check in early evening one staff member on duty late on 4 members of staff, also no management on duty Sunday morning to address breakfast issues.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Chris B
emma p, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Doncaster, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor, as I am sure you are aware without feedback we are unable to drive the hotel and its standards forward.

I am happy that you found the bedrooms and showers to your satisfaction, however I am unhappy with your comments in regards to the breakfast and number of staff on duty - I have looked into these matters, but I would very much appreciate it if we could possibly discuss these matter further, so I am able to get the full story.

I can only apologise if you found your experience at the Hotel unsatisfactory, however be rest assured I am looking into these matters.

I look forward to speaking with you further in regards to these matters.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

4 of us stayed at the Park Inn Sunday Night and could not fault it. Rooms were a good size. Comfy Beds and the shower room was Excellent. Breakfast was very good. all you can eat which sets you up for the Day. Bar drinks were a bit expencive but that is normal in most hotels.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
emma p, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Doncaster, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor, I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Park In by Radisson Doncaster, and I do hope to see you in the hotel again in the future.

I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team, again thank you.

Regards

Reviewed March 17, 2013

i booked this hotel as i was wanting to have a special weekend with my partner. From the start it was just a horrible experience and ruined our entire stay and experience. The staff lied to me when i phoned several times to ask how long it would take to get to Doncaster dome where a show was on that we had booked and they also said they were the closest hotel to the dome which they clearly are not. Each time i was told it was a 5 min walk and there was never a mention of roadworks making this walk longer as in fact it took us an hour plus to get there. When we turned up to check in we were left in the lobby for 15 20 mins with no signs of life and eventually i had to shout hello just to get some attention so we could check in. Room was clean and tidy but that is the only good thing about this hotel. I would never ever recommend anyone stay at this hotel. Go to the travel lodge or premier inn which is definately closer to everything, town center, dome, station etc.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dumpling82
emma p, Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Doncaster, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to hear that your experience at the hootel was not to your expectations, and I can only apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I would like to speak with you directly in regards to your complaint, in order to resolve this matter, so I would be most grateful if you would give me a call at your convenience on 01302 760710, or alternatively please email me on emma.patterson@rezidorparkinn.com with your contact details and I would be more than happy to call you to discuss this matter further.

Again I apologise for any inconvenience caused and look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I was obliged to check out of another hotel in Doncaster as it was so ghastly. The Park Inn is up to the general standards of Radisson. The location is not convenient for pedestrians unfortunately. It takes about 30 minutes to walk to the station through some fairly unsafe looking streets. I suppose you have to be grateful to find anywhere decent in Doncaster. The staff kindly printed a document for me. Had a nice meal in their restaurant - something I would not have expected really. There is traffic noise, so advisable to take earplugs if you are a light sleeper. If it was in a better location I would go again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo