“Spooky”
Review of Station Hotel

Station Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Dudley
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed at this hotel with my husband for our wedding anniversary. I used to pass the hotel daily when going to collage & never thought I could afford to stay there, but a Groupon offer came available at the right time.
First impressions are that the hotel looks a bit old from the outside, but inside is great, the staff were very friendly, but the lift was a bit on the small side.
The bedroom was quite large, it was clean & brightly decorated, the bed was very comfortable but I did not get much sleep.
As kids we heard the hotel was haunted but just laughed about it as we never believed it, but now I know different. I woke at 2am there was a ticking sound but no clock, I thought it was a dripping tap, but no, the sound seemed to be coming from 2 different side of the room but there was nothing there. I then heard faint knocking sounds coming from the walls but my husband was sound asleep so I told myself it was nothing & tried to go back to sleep. I dozed for a little while but then heard a noise outside in the corridor it sounded like an elderly person slowly dragging the feet, I heard the creak of the nearby step & the footsteps continued until they reached the bedroom door where they stopped. I thought someone may have got the wrong bedroom, but they did not try the door or move on. Eventually I gave up listening & snuggled up to my husband & fell into an uneasy sleep. It was just a strange experience a little unnerving but not really scary, its just an old hotel perhaps some of the staff never left.
Breakfast was hot & plentyful just what we needed to start the day, but the best thing about it was we were allowed to enjoy it in peace, the waiter was there in the background if we needed him, but did not keep asking if everything was ok or try to take the plates before we were finished.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone as we had a good time there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sh004f0202
Stationhotel, Front Office Manager at Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we could be a part of your special occasion.

We look forward to welcoming your back to the Station Hotel, Dudley in the near future.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Firstly I would like to start by saying the front of the hotel doesnt look great, this is not helped by its surroundings but once inside it was excellent. We stayed in an executive room which was large and well equiped with a great and very big jaccuzzi bath!
We had carvery for dinner and was not expecting a lot because I usually think only proper carvey restaurants should do these but it was excellent. Meat and veg perfectly cooked and a good range too, this was same for breakfast which was also excellent.
We even had a singing waitress who liked abba!!
Overall first impressions dont do the hotel justice, the staff try to look after you and its very clean, Ive stayed in more expensive hotels that are no way near as clean and food not as good!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank stuart t
Stationhotel, Front Office Manager at Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

As a independent family run hotel, we strive to meet all our guests needs and expectations and offer value for money. We are pleased to read your stay with us was to your satisfaction and we look forward to welcoming you to The Station Hotel, Dudley again in the near future.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Me and my partner booked a room over the bank holiday weekend and was left massively dissapointed. We was eventually greeted by the male receptionist who was wearing a suit with white trainers. We was given our key and told where to find out room. When we eventually found our room and looked inside I decided to go straight back to reception and ask for a better room. He upgraded us to the family room straight away.
When we arrived in the upgraded room (209) we were pleased with the size but as the night went on we found more and more dissapointments; bathroom window ledge, sink and bath all had lots debris and dust in them. The bathroom door had no lock and had a hole straight through it from where it once was. The TV would not switch channels/change volume when we tried using the remote and using the buttons at the side of the screen.The main part of the ceiling above the window was covered in huge brown water stains. I tried to turn the hot tap which took about 5 turns before water started spitting out of it and the top of both sink and bath taps were missing and instead had a yellow caution sticker above it. When trying to figure out how to turn the shower on the cog wouldn't push down fully and couldnt get it to stay on. So instead ran a bath, where there was no shampoo. when my partner went all the way down to reception to ask for some, he was told they don't have any and only have bath foam/shower gel which I disputed with the manager for him saying it was also shampoo and there was nowhere on the packet which said it was a shampoo. The water/plug holes absolutely stank and the hole room smelt of wet dog when the water was running. The beds were small and had cheap matresses that creaked and twanged when you moved and there was dust along the tops of the headboards. The menu in the room was dirty and had brown marks all over it. The mirror in the room was on the other side of the room from the plug socket. When we finally went down for breakfast in the morning we could do nothing but laugh at the entire situation. The breakfast was grimm to say the least. We had to order our "full english" which was one broken fried egg, a sausage which looked more like it was boiled it was so anaemic, one piece of bacon, mushrooms that look like they had been rolled in grit, half a microwaved tomato, and some beans and not forgetting the toast. We couldnt see where the tea was kept, even though there was cups already on a table, including a wine glass that we had to wipe ourselves as they were so dusty, to then fill them with open room temperature cheap apple juice. In our room was a questionaire about our stay, but there was no pen to fill it out, so again, we had to all the way back to reception to get one. I handed it to the duty manager before we checked out who said he would look into the issues. He contacted me 2 days later disputing what we had experienced and basically said that, in his opinion, it was a nice room and that he has worked in hotels for 12 years. No apology, no customer service, nothing. Just long drawn out silences over the phone. Just wrong!

Room Tip: Don't book one.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sam f
Stationhotel, General Manager at Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Thank you for your detailed review of your recent stay at the Station Hotel, Dudley.

We are sorry that on this occasion your expectations have not been met.

As the General Manager please accept my apologies for the problems you experienced during your stay. As an independant, family run hotel we endeavour to resolved all issues as and when they arise.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies - Helen Clay, General Manager

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed in the hotel after buying a deal through Wowcher, It isn't all that bad, The Bed was REALLY comfortable and I slept really well

The hotel is just outdated but I found this to be quite endearing, it was nice to stay in an older hotel - it is supposed to be haunted but we never heard anything

Breakfast was continental serve yourself and a hot buffet order through the waitress

I would stay again if we went to Dudley as the hotel was a two minute walk into dudley centre

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MicheleG39
Stationhotel, Front Office Manager at Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Thank you for your recent kind review from your stay here at the Station Hotel, Dudley.

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I'm staying here tonight at the Station Hotel, booked for us by a work colleague. (Therefore not by choice) It's the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. Torn carpets, stained curtains, filthy duvet covers ( nail varnish stained) looks like they've never been washed. On a busy main road with no double glazing so the noise and cold air pours right in. Bus stop right outside. I'd say the rooms haven't been refurbished for 30 years. Utterly depressing! Whoever rates this hotel as acceptable is clearly deluded. DON'T STAY HERE!

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank MelissaM251
Stationhotel, Front Office Manager at Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Station Hotel, Dudley.

May I offer my apologise for the issues detailed.

The Station Hotel is situated on a busy main road opposite Dudley Zoo and traffic noise can vary depending on day or night of the week.

We are currently undergoing a refurbishment programme in all areas of the hotel including bed rooms. Unfortunately your room was located in an area of the hotel which is due for refurbishment.

We are a traditional independent hotel and we are sorry we did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

It is an old fashioned hotel and I'm not sure if it will hold off the competition of the brand new Premier Inn just down the road. But the staff were friendly and the bed comfortable and the room fairly quiet (although the windows did rattle when heavy traffic drove by). The place is supposed to have ghosts but none turned up - even though they have "medium" gatherings every month. Normally when we stay in these places the breakfast is normally pretty good but I'm afraid the Station let itself down with cold beans and frozen (but cooked) sausages.At £64 for a double with breakfast it wasn't the cheapest either but for us it was the nearest to the town so won out on the location. So to sum up it is a "character" hotel that perhaps with more care could have been scored as good rather than average.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ian R

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at the hotel.

May I offer our apologise for the issues raised with regards to breakfast. The Food & Beverage team have been made aware and are now currently reviewing breakfast procedures.

We are a traditional family run hotel currently undergoing an in-house refurbishment programme continuing throughout 2013.

We do hope that you will come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here recently (within the week) and I can honestly say I've never stayed in a worse hotel...... Think of the "Overlook hotel" in the film The Shining and you are somewhere near

Location- right on a BUSY main road, traffic all night
Reception- staff were Ok, the decor was dated to say the least, threadbare carpet and woodchip wallpaper must have been on offer when this place was last decorated.
The corridors leading to the rooms are positively scary (see the shining again), I saw one couple go to their room with a White Staffordshire Bull Terrier. I'm an animal lover but I wouldn't let my dog stay in
that hotel.
My room itself looked like something from a 70s sitcom, Robins Nest or maybe Steptoe and son. Cheap, tacky wooden furniture, single glazed windows to let as much noise in from the motorway outside, carpets were sticky and smelly, bathroom fittings were at least 40 years old, and worst of all the top throw over cover on the bed stank! I'd wager that because of its thickness it hasn't been washed since Maggie was elected, or maybe the white staffy had had the room before me?
The wifi was an absolute joke,I had to reconnect every 30 seconds or so, I had about 3 hours sleep because of the noise from outside and sinister noises and knocks in the room.......
I went for a pint but when I walked in the lounge I felt like those two American tourists who walk into "The Slaughtered Lamb" on American Werewolf in London..... Maybe I should have brought my dog to blend in a bit?
Only redeeming feature was the brekkie was decent.

NEVER EVER AGAIN

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank 903jaydee
Stationhotel, Front Office Manager at Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear jaydee,

We are very sorry your stay did not meet with your expectations. Here at the Station Hotel Dudley we strive to ensure all our guests needs are fulfilled during their stay, this can only be achieved if any issues that do arise are bought to the attention of the Duty Manager on shift.

Thank you for your review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dudley
The Quality Hotel Dudley
#1 of 21 in Wolverhampton
Travelodge Birmingham Dudley
Travelodge Birmingham Dudley
#2 of 2 in Brierley Hill

Been to Station Hotel? Share your experiences!