“Hotel ok, spa good, restaurant terrible ”

Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Dudley
“Hotel ok, spa good, restaurant terrible ”
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are nice, although no overhead lights just lamps, no shampoo or shower gel and only a few tv channels. The bed was comfortable and the bar was nice. We went as a group and the staff were very accommodating with one of our high maintenance friends and let us have rooms next to each other which was good.

The spa was lovely, although strange that you have manicures with all swimming and fitness guests walking past which can be distracting. The beauty therapist, Alison was amazing and very friendly. She put me at ease at once and spent a long time making sure I was happy.

The restaurant was so awful I don't know where to start. The menu was divided into two VIP and normal and you can't mix and match them which was annoying. The first course took 45 mins to come out and when my friend and I cut into the chicken strips they were raw. Now I'm usually very calm but am currently under the Gp for ongoing tests so raw chicken could have made me extremely ill which is why I got very angry when I realised the chicken I'd already bitten into was completely raw in the middle. I then had to wait another 15 minutes for what was obviously frozen chicken that had little flavour. My main was the burger and again nothing special, just tasted like frozen burgers with no sauce in at all. We had to ask for sauces which came out at the end and tasted cheap.

Overall, staff are helpful, friendly and keen to make your stay nice but food and restaurant in particular let the experience down significantly.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
dleeh456, Front Office Manager at Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay at the Village Urban Resort Dudley.

I am glad your experience with the rooms & the staff were good, I am thrilled to hear about your experience with Alison, I will be sure to share your feedback.

I have personally followed with our Head Chef & Restaurant Manager regarding your meal, if you would like to discuss this with me further, please don’t hesitate to contact me via email on Katherine.jeffries@village-hotels.com.

Katherine Jeffries

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Shere, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2013

If you like free, reliable, and reasonably fast wifi. If you like a big swimming pool. If you like Starbucks. If you like clean, well-furnished bedrooms where you can listen in on your neighbours conversations. If you like grey. If you like good, reasonably priced pub grub and a pint of real ale. If you like eating in the bar and grill because you would have to wait an hour to be fed in the restaurant, even as a resident. If you like friendly, bubbly but ill-informed staff. If you like a place where the email system and the telephony system crashes regularly. If you like not having any alternative eating or drinking places to walk out to. If you like a busy, noisy dual carriageway to listen to in the night. If you're trying to score with your secretary on a Friday night.

Room Tip: I hear the Premier Inn is better....
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Middleman499519
Thank you for contacting the Village Urban Resort Dudley with your feedback,

Would you be so kind as to contact me via email at katherine.jeffries@village-hotels.com to discuss this further.

Many thanks,
Katherine Jeffries

Travelers are raving about these Dudley hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2013

After reading some reviews was pleasantly surprised.Polite and helpful staff. Good facilities. Excellent breakfast.Rooms were clean, tidy, adequate. Nothing to suggest they were dirty or run down as some suggest. Did not use swimming pool facilities but looked excellent.
Bar prices slightly expensive but as expected for a hotel. Stayed on a Sunday overnight. Accommodation B&B with car parking was reasonably priced and as such chose this in preference to the Premier Inn nearby.
Football on Sky Sports and evening entertainment provided in the form of a quiz. Maybe not everyone's choice but at least they made the effort to provide something. Overall satisfied and would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 777Alan
Thank you for contacting the Village Urban Resort Dudley with your feedback,

I am glad you had an enjoyable experience during your stay. I will pass on your comments to the staff, they will greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks,
Essex
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed here for two nights 27th and 28th September 2013 as our friends were having a civil ceremony in the hotel. What stood out to us was the friendliness and helpful of the staff especially Casey, who worked in breakfast restaurant. I failed to let the hotel know I needed gluten free food but they managed to serve GF cereal and toast when asked. They also offered GF sausages but as I am generally eat veggie food I declined.
I also left my binoculars in the hotel room and after a couple of phone calls the hotel sent these through to me recorded delivery.
The only negative we felt was the cost of the drinks were too high.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

I am thrilled to hear about your experience with Casey, I will be sure to share your feedback, she will greatly appreciate it.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We visited this hotel on a return visit on Saturday 5th October, We where allocated a upperdeck room, This is meant to higher quality and all the little extras.
My husband checked in as i was out in town with family, Upon collecting me and returning to the room, i went to sit on the chair that is under the desk, I STUCK TO IT !!!! It was covered in a sticky substance not 100% sure of what it was, i dread to think actually.
We called reception and explained this and they said will send someone, nearly 20 mins later duty manager turned up looked at the chair and thankfully agreed was totally wrong and apologized profusely.
It then took another 10 - 15 mins for her to return with cleaner to clean the chair, this was done but we went on to find this sticky substance over most surfaces in the room, so i decided to clean it myself....... Not impressed.
Breakfast ......... I requested veggie sausages for my breakfast, as i don't eat meat , These where ordered and the plate was brought out to me with BACON ON !!!!!Sort of defeats the object of veggie does it not.
When i complained to the waitress she she oh i thought you wanted it, ERRRR Vegetarian sausages does that not mean anything?????
When i asked for this to be removed it came back within moments they have just taken the bacon off as you could still see the fat on the plate, so i complained to the restaurant manager, who was very apologetic and replaced the food, but this in total took nearly 40 minutes from arriving in the restaurant.
Would i return.............Possibly if major improvements are made with customer care and staff attitudes
COME ON VILLAGE YOU CAN DO BETTER !!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Frenchiemumma_2013
I am terribly sorry about the situations you experienced with the cleanliness of the room & the breakfast.

Would you be so kind as to contact me personally so we can discuss this further.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Stayed here for work purposes for one night. Check in was quick and easy. Plenty of free car parking. Eat at the victory pub, the black pudding starter was awesome. Staff were all friendly and helpful. Used the gym and pool, the gym is well equipped for a hotel gym. Room was clean, my only complaint of the stay was the bed was two singles pushed together which I hate, do not find comfy at all. Buffet breakfast with plenty of choice was really nice.

All In would recommend and will stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for contacting the Village Urban Resort Dudley following your stay, we really appreciate your feedback.

I am glad you had an enjoyable stay & got full use of the facilities.

Please contact me when you are looking to return, we can ensure you get a double bed (not a zip-and-link one)

Suffolk
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Firstly, it's not a bad hotel.

The friendly staff out shone the hotel. The chap at breakfast was very affable and could not do enough for us.

The room, we stayed in the standard room. It was clean, the decor was fine, with the bathroom functional. No view, we over looked a flat roof. The room was noisy, you can hear the room above and anything outside in the corridor.
Not worth £99 a night when there is a lot of competition in the area.

Not sure if the dissatisfaction with the room is encouraged with this weird marketing strategy adopted by the hotel. When you arrive in the room you are greater with a sash draped over you pillows. This sash declares "upgrade your next stay for £20 to the upper deck, comfy beds, Starbucks in your room, pinch able toiletries, and sky movies". This is essentially the speed boat from bullseye, look at what you could have won. If I've just got in to my room, after a six hour drive the last thing I want is to be told my rooms a bit rubbish, my beds not as good, the coffee is crap, the shower gel and soap is in a dispenser and the tv is poor.. You want done free advice, try making all the rooms great and stop this silly two tier system. Value the staff and make sure your customers feel like they are in the best room in the hotel.

Stayed October 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dudley
Premier Inn Dudley Town Centre Hotel
Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley
The Quality Hotel Dudley
Premier Inn Dudley (Kingswinford) Hotel
Station Hotel
Station Hotel
#5 of 6 in Dudley
Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall

Been to Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley? Share your experiences!